World's slowest warbird??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's slowest warbird??

I know there was an article on here about flying a PBY to Tillamook...this was a few years ago. I looked in the archives but could not find it.....

The reason I was looking was that my 20 year old son got an opporturnity to fly in one as a second officer/flight engineer. He even got some stick time "handled like a barge" he reported...I was going to share the above article with him........

Re: World's slowest warbird??

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I know there was an article on here about flying a PBY to Tillamook...this was a few years ago. I looked in the archives but could not find it.....
    The author of that article requested that we remove it quite some time ago. A shame really, as it was a very interesting, well written article.

I'm sure we still have it, if permission were ever granted again, we'd put it back online.

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

wha th.....??? I was logged on, but the the post shows me as unregistered..!!!

Anyways, thanks for the speedy response Wayne..I thought maybe it was too old, and was cluttering up the memory resources or something.....
      the other Wayne................

Comment

Too bad it's gone... It was a good well-written article.

Neal

Comment

Night Raid to Tillamook

Wayne-

I was informed that someone was looking for my old PBY article. If someone wants to read it, feel free to re-post it with my blessing.

Brad Haskin

Comment

Re: Night Raid to Tillamook

Originally posted by Unregistered
            Wayne-

I was informed that someone was looking for my old PBY article. If someone wants to read it, feel free to re-post it with my blessing.

Brad Haskin
            Brad,

I'd be happy to, thanks. Good to see you still around. Wish you'd write some more stuff...

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hummn... interestingly enough, it's actually online already. Apparantly, when I moved the site to the new server, uploaded all files from my backup here on my local machine, it went up with the upload.

I just did a search using the little google box at the bottom of the front page (clicking the aafo.com box first) and it came right up.

US Navy Pilot Lt. Brad Haskin flies the famous world war two flying boat PBY Catalina

I may not have time today to reindex it onto the site page but there it is for now.

Thanks again LT-Haskin..

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hey Brad....

Brad, can you contact me via email? I'd like to discuss something with you..

God, I hate to put my email addy on these pages, the spammers harvest them and I get SOOO much spam.. can you click on the "contact us" link at the bottom of this page?

Hope to hear from you soon...

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks guys, you are the greatest! I sent the link to my son, so he can read between flights......

Comment

So, back to the topic...wouldn't the AN-2 really be the world's slowest warbird? No, check that....the Storch perhaps?

Comment

WWII Troop Gliders?

Comment

UH-1 Huey? Hovering is pretty slow!

Race 29
                        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29
                          UH-1 Huey? Hovering is pretty slow!

Race 29
                          Barrage balloons -- they're teathered!
                          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Rotate at 80, cruise at 110, approach at 100.....and using a mere 3000 hp to do this is pretty slow in my books

Besides..................this aircraft took 8 years to fly 100 miles!!

D: D

Comment

As for fixed wing, the Slowest Warbird is the Fiesler Storch. It will pretty much go motionless in a stiff breeze, so look for a min flight speed of about 30 Kts. As for the UH-1 idea...Helicopters have to have their wings going pretty fast to fly. While their fuselages stop, their rotary wings still spin in a furious fashion unsettling to those of the opposition. The L-1 being restored at the Weeks Museum may be a candidate for a slow flyer, having similar speed range to the Storch, but very expensive as an aircraft. Weeks has an Fi-156 Storch flown at the Museum on weekends, and the PBY is an absolute rocket by comparison.

Comment

Working...
                              X