X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russ Francis? *Thread Split By Moderator*

what ever happned to Russ Francis? I remember he had a Sea Fury

Russ Francis

If you were at Reno last year and got to see the Mustang “Dove of Peace” flying around during the first few days of the week; that was Russ doing the flying for Miss A’s crew chief who is/was the owner.
    Jason
    Jason Schillereff

Comment

Russ Francis-Warbirds??

I remember his NFL career, and the pro wrestling he did afterwards. I had no clue that he was into Warbirds.

Comment

I don't know about any Sea Furies, but Russ Francis used to own Bob Loves old white "Jolly Roger" mustang. It's now owned by Bill Dzause in Lodi. He charges $500 an hour for rides in it. It's now painted all high gloss black.

Race 29
        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Little known fact that Russ Francis was tangentially involved with the Machbuster back in the mid/late 80s when it was still a Bill Montagne project.

There was an idea that, when the airplane was all fleshed out and it was time to make a speed record, Russ would do the flight and use his NFL notoriety to help pull in media attention....

I'm guessing that he got involved through Bob Love.

Comment

Russ, francis.

I once read in an aviation magazine Russ used to fly the Jolly Roger back and forth to work at his office in SFO, dont remember the details though.

Comment

Russ Francis' Sea Fury

Russ Francis did own a Sea Fury in the late 80's. The attached photo was taken at Stockton, CA in 1988. I believe (not 100%) that this plane is now owned by Joe Thibodeau.

Rick
              Attached Files

Comment

Russ Francis & Jolly Roger

Here's one of Russ and Bob Love's Jolly Roger. From what I heard he had purchased it from Bob Love's estate in 87. Both the Mustang and the Sea Fury were based in Livermore CA for a while in the late 80's.

I knew Bob Love for a few years and spent some time in his hanger talking about the future of air racing, his time in Korea, and a whole host of aviation related topics. I recall one particular conversation between Bob and Jack Hovey (Jack and Bob's hangers where around the corner from each other) about the future of unlimited air racing and neither one felt that it could go on much longer. Both believed that there wasn't enough parts or planes to keep the sport going indefinitely. I think it has gone longer than Bob thought it would.

Rick
                Attached Files

Comment

The Fury that was owned by Russ Francis was sold to Wiley Sanders. Ronnie Gardner had to belly land the plane after it had a gear problem. During the rebuild it was converted to R-3350. It is now based in South Africa with a new owner.

Thibedeau's Fury was called the Lone Star Fury. Charlie Hillard was killed in this plane at Sun N Fun in Florida when he flipped over on landing roll out.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the info about Russ Francis. My Dad had a hanger next to Hovey's Mustang out in Livermore a long time ago. I used to go out there with him when I was a kid and I would peak in to see the Mustang. I remember I got to sit in it once.

Then I remeber Russ having that blue Sea Fury down the row from Bob Love's hanger. But then he disappeared and I never saw him or that plane again. I do think I remember hearing that he owned "Jolly Roger" for awhile.

John Paul also had his "Sneak Attack" P-40 out there at the time.

My Dad doesn't have a hanger out there anymore but I still go out there to see the warbirds that are there now. A Bearcat, P-40, and three Mustangs.

Comment

Thread Split And Moved

Please note, these messages were contained in a thread that was closed. The subject of the messages within this new/split thread are valid and interesting and this thread is open for additional comments.

Thanks
                      Wayne

PS: The closed thread has been moved to the Graffiti/Rumors section.
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                      X