A Little Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little Quiz

OK Folks -- Name the year, and all the Race pilots for the aircraft in this photo. No fair digging through the Air Classics collection to come up with names!

Bonus question: Where was this photo taken from?

Bonus question #2: What are all those yellow things on the nose of the P-40? Note they're not all the same -- details please...

Neal
    Attached Files

The photo was taken in 1987 at Stead Airport home of the Reno National Championship Air races.

The first plane is a P-51 Mustang called "Miss Ashley" owned by John Sandberg and I think Gary Levitz raced it.

The second one is the F-2G Corsair owned by the Planes of Fames in Chino and John Maloney raced it that year.

The third airplane is a P-40N called "Spud Lug" owned by John Paul and I think the late Fred Seby raced it that year.

It would only be a wild guess were you took the photo from Neal since you seem to always be in the right spot at the right time. My guess would be from the top of either Bill Destefani or the Chino gangs 40 foot trailer.

__________________________________________________ __
    Neal:

I have a question for you?

What aircraft was restored in the United States that same year and raced in Reno, before he took it home to Australia? I am sure you have a picture of it as well.

Comment

the Mustang belongs to POF - I think it's actually Steve's, but I'd have to look that up.

Comment

The picture isn't clear enough for me to see what is on the rudder of Stu Eberhardt's "Merlin's Magic" in the background. It doesn't look like R. A. Bob's rudder on her. My guess is 1990.

Race 28 is the Planes of Fame "Spam Can" flown by Kevin Eldridge, and not only was that plane repainted in the early '90's, but it was 'replaced' by "Platinum Plus" as the 'team stocker' in the POF/JRS stable in '91.

(While the Levitz "Miss Ashely" was previously owned by Sandberg as #28 "Tipsy Too", Levitz bought her in 1985 and was painted red and silver as race #38.)

The spinner on the Super Corsair is polished metal, not painted silver. That happened in '89 or '90....and in '92 "Super Corsair" was painted on the cowling. Johnny M. was flying her this year.

The markings on Spud Lag represent the planes that Tom Camp/John Maloney finished AHEAD of during races over the years.

My guess is Neal took this standing on top of the All Coast trailer.

Comment

Don't forget Merlin's Magic back there. She counts too. I think you've got a 50/50 chance at the pilot for that one.

I think the yellow marks on the P-40 are "kill" marks of planes that the P-40 acctually finished in front of during a race.

Bill P

Edit: man it seems I'm always 5 minutes late. Now it is repetitive info due to speedemon.
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Quiz

The Butler, with a knife, in the kitchen???
            Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
            RIP 03/17/10

Comment

What airplane is directly behind the Chevron Truck?
              Dave

Comment

My guess is Tsunami in bare metal & blue due small size and no windscreen/canopy that I can see if it was a mustang.

Comment

Well done...

Very good Speeddemon (Who are you?)! Booby prize to AirRace7 (Sorry Bill -- only 3 years off). Serious bonus points to Unregistered (now there's an original handle) for getting Tsunami behind the gas truck -- I'm surprised anyone even noticed that one.

Bogus points to Goss, LOL !

It was taken from the Rare Bear trailer, I think -- an excellent viewpoint in those days.

Neal

Comment

Re: Well done...

Originally posted by wingman
                    It was taken from the Rare Bear trailer, I think -- an excellent viewpoint in those days.
                    Neal, that would have been my guess as to the "where". The rest, I like Goss, had no clue

Wayne
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

OK kids -- This one is restricted... Only Newbies (those who've been going to the Races for less than 15 years) are allowed.

Give us the type, Race number, owner, pilot, and when raced. Bonus points for who did the restoration of the airplane...

Neal
                      Attached Files

Comment

Man Neal, now you are being mean. I've got most of the info (without looking), but I've been going to the races since 1986. However I have only been to 15 of the races, I did not make it 1995, 1996, and 2001. Does that mean I can answer?

Ciao,

Bill Pearce
                        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

No Bill, cause you were there -- Over 15 years ago and you ain't a Newbie... Actually a bit ironic to set 15 years as a Newbie cutoff, as when I started this the Races had only been going on for 12 years. I remember meeting people who had been to all 12 Renos and thinking that was really awesome.

Reno 1990 -- who can guess some of the kills -- (I can't get many off the top of my head)...

Neal
                          Attached Files

Comment

Okay fair enough, I guess I'm just happy because Neal says I'm not a newbie. I think I was either 10 or 11 when that pic was taken, and yes, I was there.

And of the above, the far right one looks like John Parker's JP-350, which I think qualified in 1990 but did not race.

Bill Pearce
                            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Can I Play????

Ok Ok.... soooo.... what year did this beast compete, who flew it and where did it finish...

Ok Ok... sorry Neal.. couldn't resist...
                              Attached Files
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X