No announcement yet.

What's Your Favorite Air Race Artifact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Your Favorite Air Race Artifact?

Reading the thread about Larry Burton passing away has motivated me to start a thread that is long overdue.
    I challenge each of you to post a picture of a special air racing momento. I like to say that "sometimes the story is better than the piece", so if it is not obvious, be sure to include a line or ten about why the artifact is special to you.
    I will begin with an Arizona themed piece in Larry's honor....

One of my favorite memories of racing T-6's was liberating signs after the Unlimited Gold race. Speed and prior planning were key.
    The sign in the picture was hanging in front of the operations building. Years later, a crew member from another team saw it in our hangar and remarked that he had gone to steal it right after the gold race and it was already gone. All I could do was smile.
    Attached Files

Re: What's Your Favorite Air Race Artifact?

This might be my favorite. The year the Dago team came out they actually had uniforms. The Super Corsair guys did too, but they had shirts, pants, hats and these jackets. What I liked about the jackets that first year was that some of them had the 'prototype' patches on the back--the paint scheme that had the artists conception, not what the actual paint scheme looked like on the plane. But even back then I can remember thinking I had to get one of those silver 'Watkins Jackets' (which were the in-style thing in the late-70's.)
    Attached Files

Comment

My Society of Air Racing Photographers challenge coin that I got this year.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        This might be my favorite. The year the Dago team came out they actually had uniforms. The Super Corsair guys did too, but they had shirts, pants, hats and these jackets. What I liked about the jackets that first year was that some of them had the 'prototype' patches on the back--the paint scheme that had the artists conception, not what the actual paint scheme looked like on the plane. But even back then I can remember thinking I had to get one of those silver 'Watkins Jackets' (which were the in-style thing in the late-70's.)
        Nice Jim, David Price gave me his Dago jacket one monday morning leaving the hotel to go home. Definitely a later vintage than yours.

Comment

I have a "Strega" Tee Shirt signed by "Tiger" started in 1994 thru 2016. "Stevo" also signed it one year with "Tiger" commenting "Don't forget I am the owner".
          Lockheed Bob

Comment

Broken spark plug recovered from The Red Baron after 1979 "Landing"

Comment

Print of 3-bladed Rare Bear signed by John and Lyle.
              Sky Critter

Comment

Any guesses on this one ?
                Attached Files

Comment

My dad had a gear leg off Mr. Awesome from when it went in the desert. With crew names on it. I want to say Skip signed it, can't remember. That was my favorite. I think he sold it when under financial distress one year..

- Joseph

Comment

I have a treasured assortment of items that were sent to me by RARA and other RENO friends and family... Including images of my wonderful box seat bandit friends posing with a "portrait" of me in various locations.. (LOL... air wayne) at RENO 2004!

The memories of friends like Aviation Nation's Bob Avery giving me a cell phone play by play of the race, with an amazing update by Naomi "Griffon Girl"... letting me know Skip cut and that Bear won!

I'd just have to say, everything from that year would have to top the list..

Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Probably my Rare Bear "fan sponsor" leather jacket from 2003. Lyle and John also signed a hat for me at the dinner that year.

Comment

Brad told me to get off my bottom and play on this thread, so I'm trying to decide what to post as a favorite artifact. I'll think on it and get back to y'all.
                        John Slack

Comment

I have a lot of pins, patches, programs, etc., etc. but most important to me is my collection of signed pictures of racers I have taken over the years. This an old picture, the collection and the office space have both grown appreciably.
                          I have a Rare Bear pic I got signed one year by Lyle, John Penney and Ron Bucarreli.
                          Attached Files
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I'd probably have to say my best artifact is the P-51 inner gear door that I found in the desert walking my dog by Lemmon Drive

Comment

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
                              I'd probably have to say my best artifact is the P-51 inner gear door that I found in the desert walking my dog by Lemmon Drive
                              If that was found recently, and its polished aluminum, I'd be Thom would be happy to get that back, or at least a few expensive pieces off of it.

Will

Comment

Working...
                              X