Vampire jet down. Pilot is OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vampire jet down. Pilot is OK

Pete Zacaggino had an off field landing in the Vampire. Plane is totaled, Pete is Ok.

Re: Vampire jet down. Pilot is OK

Heard it on the radio. Pretty tough to listen to. Glad Pete's ok
    Sky Critter

Comment

Any landing you can walk away from......

As the saying goes

Any video?

Flame out?

Ingestion??

Comment

Originally posted by De Camara View Post
        Any landing you can walk away from......

As the saying goes

Any video?

Flame out?

Ingestion??
        First, we're very glad Pete Z is OK.

It seemed that he orbited overhead at least twice, then passed from west to east and then turned northwest; in my humble - NON race pilot - opinion, he seemed a bit low and I wondered if he was setting up a downwind for runway 8 or runway 14. Also, we noticed that the speed brakes were deployed (did he have any control of that?) and we could hear the engine running, though it seemed to be at a low power (idle?). As he continued NW, he turned a bit more northerly and then disappeared from view; the dust cloud emerged shortly thereafter.

Again, we're very glad and relieved that Pete is OK.

Comment

So where did he put it down? I'm glad he's OK.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
            So where did he put it down? I'm glad he's OK.

Neal
            End of 14, well end of 32 it was basically on the 14 numbers
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

What we saw from the VOS...

Pete exited somewhere between 1 and 3 and made a couple of orbits. I didn't look too serious and I ended up losing track of him as it looked like he was still under power. Next thing I knew he was well past the end of 14, at least a 1/2 mile before he actually touched down. We heard over the radio that he had lost hydraulics. That would explain the lack of landing gear. He came in due north as low and slow as I imagine a vampire could. There was absolutely no chance of making 14 at all. What was kind of strange was the , "I'm going in! Pylon 7!" call on the radio about 1000' before actually going in. Given his approach (right toward 6) he had to know he was going in. He touched down as smooth as you can even imagine although I'm sure it was pretty harry. He jumped right out and walked over to the fire truck which was there directly.
              Last edited by Fence Sence; 09-16-2016, 09:01 PM.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                End of 14, well end of 32 it was basically on the 14 numbers
                Correct. 32 would be the correct direction.

Comment

At least it's pretty level out there, by desert standards. As I remember, those Vampires had a reputation as pretty tough birds.

Looking at the results, that seems like it was a pretty ragged Jet race. 5 pylon cuts for 6 airplanes, with cuts on 3 different pylons. These guys are running the Unlimited course, right? At their speeds they must be experiencing some pretty serious G loads. Steve Hinton has said that with the current smaller course he sees some pretty high G at times at his speeds...

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                    At least it's pretty level out there, by desert standards. As I remember, those Vampires had a reputation as pretty tough birds.

Looking at the results, that seems like it was a pretty ragged Jet race. 5 pylon cuts for 6 airplanes, with cuts on 3 different pylons. These guys are running the Unlimited course, right? At their speeds they must be experiencing some pretty serious G loads. Steve Hinton has said that with the current smaller course he sees some pretty high G at times at his speeds...
                    Correct, same course as unlimited.

Comment

His crew told us that the emergency started when the glass came out of the canopy. He pulled power and exited the course. When he went to put power back in to head for a landing, the engine quit making power and he didn't have enough energy to make the runway. He had to put it in the desert with the gear up.

Comment

Now that sounds like ten minutes he'll never forget...

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                          His crew told us that the emergency started when the glass came out of the canopy. He pulled power and exited the course. When he went to put power back in to head for a landing, the engine quit making power and he didn't have enough energy to make the runway. He had to put it in the desert with the gear up.
                          I thought something looked weird. Thanks for the clarification. Not sure where I heard the hydraulic comment. Too much sun, too much beer, too many friends yakking it up. My apologies for any confusion.

Comment

Here he is after pulling off the course

May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Can´t believe this.
                              Right at this moment that I´m assembling a 1/48 model kit with the paint scheme of #24 Vampire.
                              I´m so sorry.

Glad that Mr. Zaccagnino is well.

Comment

Working...
                              X