Nemesis sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nemesis sighting

Looks like Nemesis made it to her new home. NXT is looking awesome too...

More importantly...is that the Conquest 1 prop there next to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
      More importantly...is that the Conquest 1 prop there next to it?
      Ferry prop!
      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

The today show on NBC ran a story on the new Hazy center. I spotted Conquest I already in place on the floor.

Kevin

Comment

In this picture, there's what looks like a Mustang hanging from the ceiling. The wings look shorter than stock though. Another Air Racer?

Race 29
          Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

And here is Conquest 1

Comment

Isn't that Goose sitting opposite the Bearcat the same one that was at NASM in DC?

Comment

Sure is i beleave that Bucky had a big hand in that one, how goes FRIGHT
                Training

Comment

Mustang Hanging from ceiling

In this picture, there's what looks like a Mustang hanging from the ceiling. The wings look shorter than stock though. Another Air Racer?
                  Indeed it was. Its Excalibur III P-51b. Paul Mantz owned and raced it in the Bendix air races In the 1940's.

Comment

Re: Mustang Hanging from ceiling

Originally posted by Sani Hut
                    Indeed it was. Its Excalibur III P-51b. Paul Mantz owned and raced it in the Bendix air races In the 1940's.
                    The red and white striped tail is a dead giveaway. Isn't it a P-51C?

Comment

Yeah its a "C" just keepin ya on your toes.

Comment

Hey DA BEAR what happend to your post about RARA moving to Jean Nv.?

Comment

Bear vs. Conquest

I'd really like to see a photo comparison of the two, from the same perspective and angle.

We see some interesting things on Conquest, like the way the oil/engine inlets were faired and it is interesting the differences in how the oil streaks on the the two birds. Bear has a far larger cowl of course, and it would be nice to see the two "side by side" so that the differences between the engine made for the airframe (2800) and the Bear engine (3350) are more obvious. Throw in a picture of Pardue's stock Bearcat and we can see even more.

Eric Ahlstrom

ps- Sanihut, I thought you had fallen into that vat of biffy juice in the sky...

Comment

Bearcats

Hello Eric -- I agree that this would be an interesting exercise.

One interesting thing about Rare Bear is that Lyle actually used a stock Bearcat cowling on the 3350 til the major redesign and rebuild in 1987-88. They did have to build in "speed bumps" to clear the rockers, but it was otherwise a stock cowling.

Neal

Comment

Conquest 1

Something to remember when making comparisons about The Bear against Conquest 1:

The Bear (originally) relied on brute horsepower over aerodynamic refinement.

Conquest 1 was, from the start, designed and modified to rely on aerodynamic cleanness and weight reduction to go fast. Remember, it still ran a 'realtively stock' R2800 throughout it's entire racing career. The other thing to remember is the pilot factor. If anyone out there has been impressed with how ol' Schwartz has handled his Lancair Legacy...you should have seen him finesse that Bearcat around the course the same way. His stick was worth at least 50 mph alone in the way he flew the course!

For it's time, it was an incredibly fast airframe. The 483 it did at Edwards in '69 was very impressive, but the fastest lap it ever turned in competition (if memory serves correctly) was somewhere in the 435 mph range.

Some major work would have to be done to her to be competitive in 2003, though.

(And as far as the inlets being faired over, etc....I'd certainly like to see how the Bear would react to a boil-off system like Conquest 1 had. Mike Brown certainly had the right idea...)

Comment

Working...
                              X