2016 Sport Class Synopsis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Sport Class Synopsis

So since AAFO is extremely slow for this time of year, I thought why not give my full, detailed synopsis on this years Sport class "hot shots". Maybe it'll spur up some excitement that is definitely lacking this year. Here it goes!...

(By Race #)..

#2 (N41VR) "Modo Mio": Vince Walker's Legacy "Modo Mio" has always been a contender in the mid-back of the Gold pack. This is one of the sexiest Legacy's I've ever seen and she seems to be very reliable at putting up low 300mph races without any problems. Placing 6th in the gold in 2015 was a pretty easy task given the lack of very fast racers ahead of him, but will Vince and his Legacy get pushed back into the Silver this year? My bet is yes, prove me wrong Vince!

#6 (N726DW): This Legacy is nameless for now... This is the late Dennis Stutes' Super Legacy which really never proved itself at Reno. I feel like it may have raced in the past but never in "super" legacy fashion like it is now. It has sported the #21 on the tail for a long time now and never got out to the pylons. This year Colleen Keller will be racing this plane as Race #6 and will definitely be one to watch. If I remember correctly she also has some aerodynamic similarities to Race 33 thanks to AeroChia.

#8 (N5S): David Sterling's Legacy has proven itself to be the fastest Legacy on the course. Boasting a 380mph qualifying time in 2014, Race 8 has never been able to show what she's really got (besides a 3rd place finish in 2013). 2015 gave David and the Legacy a first place win in Heat 1A due to Parker's pylon cut, but a DNF in Sunday's gold race left David without a podium finish that almost looked promised. Now David's up against Blue II and Race 39 which have both proven to be faster aircraft. Is she ready to win this year or at least sit on the podium??? I hope so!

#28: I forget the tail number on this plane as it is the most secretive Legacy racing this year. Being flown by one of the best pilots at Reno, Pete Zaccagnino, I promise this plane to be fast. I know very little about this plane and have never seen a single picture of it. All I know is that it was almost ready last year and is 100% ready this year. Before I say anything else... Let's wait to see some pictures and qualifying times to back up my hopes!

#30 (N115YP) "One Moment": One of my favorite racers! Not only one of the coolest paint schemes, but Andy is surely one of the nicest guys in the sport. One Moment placed 3rd last year in the Gold race after some maydays opened the spot up for him. This year will be a different story... I'm not sure how much Andy has done this year, but I have a feeling his 356mph race last Sunday won't be enough to secure a podium finish this year! I hope the One Moment team has some tricks up their sleeve!

#33 (N33XP): If I have my money on a Legacy that will place on the podium it's going to have to be Elliott in Greenameyer's old Race 33. Andy Chiavetta has been putting a magic touch on this racer to make it a major contender this year and it's looking awesome. This airframe has proven itself to be incredibly fast, but today's definition of "fast" is a lot faster than the plane is used to! Running around 350mph the last year it raced, I know Andy has the plane ready to push 380+ without issues. Can't wait to see how Elliott and the team do this year.

#39 (N123AJ): Lavelle and Race 39 are the current title holders for the fastest Glasair, the fastest qualifier, and the fastest race speed ever clocked by a sport racer at Reno. After a 1 year hiatus, Jeff is back and wants his title back. If it doesn't break it's on the podium, there's not much else to be said!

#42 (N42XT) "Relentless": We all know what a NXT airframe can do (Thanks Jon Sharpe), and Kevin Eldredge wants to show everybody what Relentless can do. Last year had Race 42 rocking an 8-cylinder ACE engine and he's back at it again this year. Placing 5th in last year's Gold at a speed of 310 (nearly 40mph slower than 4th place), it seems as if Kevin's plans didn't go as he hoped. Good news is, this wasn't the full potential of this beast of an engine. After last year's races, Kevin reported that there was a "miscommunication in the set up of the cam timing". The engine was only putting out 350 horsepower and is capable of at least 475. If you think of it logically, that will be about 35% increase in horsepower, and if that directly translates to 35% increase in speed... Well you get the point, Relentless will not disappoint. And for once she's fully painted and looks amazing!

#44 (N23LF) "Miss Karen II": Lynn Farnsworth and MK2 have a very good track record and come off of a solid second place finish in last years Sport Gold. Finishing 3 seconds behind Blue II, Lynn is and will be a force to be reckoned with this year. I'm not sure if any recent mods have been done, but if Jeff is running 400+ laps on Sunday, 370mph won't be cutting it.

#47 (N295JH) "Lucky Mojo": Gary Mead has a very fast Glasair that always has a spot in the Gold race. We all know what a Glasair is capable of and if Gary did any more mods in the off-season, Lucky Mojo will definitely be a contender. She placed 4th in the Gold last year with a speed of 348mph which is nothing to be looked past. She may get knocked down by some of these new Legacy's, but i wouldn't count Gary out yet.

#352 (N352BT) "Blue Thunder II": Reno 2015's Sport gold winner and almost always a podium finished (if it doesn't break). I'm not sure what has been done to Blue for this year, but I think the engine may be tuned a little differently. If John wants to keep up with Race 39, there better be a little more horsepower inside that Falconer!

#67 & #151: These are two honorable mentions as they are both Thunder Mustang's which are probably faster than Vince Walker's "Modo Mio". Clas Thunder Race 151 raced a 320mph average in 2014. Both of these Thunder's will definitely be pushing the bottom of the Gold race and sound awesome while doing it!!!

That is your outlook of the hot-shots of the sport class in 2016. All tallied up that's 13 racers that are Gold race capable. Most likely 9 racers will make it into the Sport Gold and that leaves 4 planes that can run over 300mph in the Silver (if nobody breaks). Now this is gonna be a really fun year to watch. I couldn't be more excited and I hope this pumps you all up as well
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 09-05-2016, 10:34 AM.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: 2016 Sport Class Synopsis

This post really made my day. Thanks!

I've got my eye on the Sport big-time as well. I'm really excited to see how it all go's down.

Could be some great 3-4 way action for 3rd place, if LaVelle and Parker hold 1-2 like we're accustomed to seeing.

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
      This post really made my day. Thanks!

I've got my eye on the Sport big-time as well. I'm really excited to see how it all go's down.

Could be some great 3-4 way action for 3rd place, if LaVelle and Parker hold 1-2 like we're accustomed to seeing.

- Joseph
      No problem! Just thought I would share what I know about sport class since there's not much being talked about now... It'll be fun
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

"#42 (N42XT) "Relentless": We all know what a NXT airframe can do (Thanks Jon Sharpe), and Kevin Eldredge wants to show everybody what Relentless can do. Last year had Race 42 rocking an 8-cylinder ACE engine and he's back at it again this year. Placing 5th in last year's Gold at a speed of 310 (nearly 40mph slower than 4th place), it seems as if Kevin's plans didn't go as he hoped. Good news is, this wasn't the full potential of this beast of an engine. After last year's races, Kevin reported that there was a "miscommunication in the set up of the cam timing". The engine was only putting out 350 horsepower and is capable of at least 475. If you think of it logically, that will be about 35% increase in horsepower, and if that directly translates to 35% increase in speed... Well you get the point, Relentless will not disappoint. And for once she's fully painted and looks amazing!"

While I'm looking forward to a faster speed by Relentless this year, a 35% increase in power will not yield a 35% increase in speed. As I recall, speed increases with the cube of power; a 200 mph plane with 200 horsepower would need 800 hp to go twice as fast (with NO other changes).

Sport Class could very well have it's best year ever and I'm eager to see the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
          "#42 (N42XT) "Relentless": We all know what a NXT airframe can do (Thanks Jon Sharpe), and Kevin Eldredge wants to show everybody what Relentless can do. Last year had Race 42 rocking an 8-cylinder ACE engine and he's back at it again this year. Placing 5th in last year's Gold at a speed of 310 (nearly 40mph slower than 4th place), it seems as if Kevin's plans didn't go as he hoped. Good news is, this wasn't the full potential of this beast of an engine. After last year's races, Kevin reported that there was a "miscommunication in the set up of the cam timing". The engine was only putting out 350 horsepower and is capable of at least 475. If you think of it logically, that will be about 35% increase in horsepower, and if that directly translates to 35% increase in speed... Well you get the point, Relentless will not disappoint. And for once she's fully painted and looks amazing!"

While I'm looking forward to a faster speed by Relentless this year, a 35% increase in power will not yield a 35% increase in speed. As I recall, speed increases with the cube of power; a 200 mph plane with 200 horsepower would need 800 hp to go twice as fast (with NO other changes).

Sport Class could very well have it's best year ever and I'm eager to see the competition.
          Thanks for that, I was curious to know how it really worked
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
            So since AAFO is extremely slow for this time of year, I thought why not give my full, detailed synopsis on this years Sport class "hot shots". Maybe it'll spur up some excitement that is definitely lacking this year. Here it goes!...

(By Race #)..

#2 (N41VR) "Modo Mio": Vince Walker's Legacy "Modo Mio" has always been a contender in the mid-back of the Gold pack. This is one of the sexiest Legacy's I've ever seen and she seems to be very reliable at putting up low 300mph races without any problems. Placing 6th in the gold in 2015 was a pretty easy task given the lack of very fast racers ahead of him, but will Vince and his Legacy get pushed back into the Silver this year? My bet is yes, prove me wrong Vince!

#6 (N726DW): This Legacy is nameless for now... This is the late Dennis Stutes' Super Legacy which really never proved itself at Reno. I feel like it may have raced in the past but never in "super" legacy fashion like it is now. It has sported the #21 on the tail for a long time now and never got out to the pylons. This year Colleen Keller will be racing this plane as Race #6 and will definitely be one to watch. If I remember correctly she also has some aerodynamic similarities to Race 33 thanks to AeroChia.

#8 (N5S): David Sterling's Legacy has proven itself to be the fastest Legacy on the course. Boasting a 380mph qualifying time in 2014, Race 8 has never been able to show what she's really got (besides a 3rd place finish in 2013). 2015 gave David and the Legacy a first place win in Heat 1A due to Parker's pylon cut, but a DNF in Sunday's gold race left David without a podium finish that almost looked promised. Now David's up against Blue II and Race 39 which have both proven to be faster aircraft. Is she ready to win this year or at least sit on the podium??? I hope so!

#28: I forget the tail number on this plane as it is the most secretive Legacy racing this year. Being flown by one of the best pilots at Reno, Pete Zaccagnino, I promise this plane to be fast. I know very little about this plane and have never seen a single picture of it. All I know is that it was almost ready last year and is 100% ready this year. Before I say anything else... Let's wait to see some pictures and qualifying times to back up my hopes!

#30 (N115YP) "One Moment": One of my favorite racers! Not only one of the coolest paint schemes, but Andy is surely one of the nicest guys in the sport. One Moment placed 3rd last year in the Gold race after some maydays opened the spot up for him. This year will be a different story... I'm not sure how much Andy has done this year, but I have a feeling his 356mph race last Sunday won't be enough to secure a podium finish this year! I hope the One Moment team has some tricks up their sleeve!

#33 (N33XP): If I have my money on a Legacy that will place on the podium it's going to have to be Elliott in Greenameyer's old Race 33. Andy Chiavetta has been putting a magic touch on this racer to make it a major contender this year and it's looking awesome. This airframe has proven itself to be incredibly fast, but today's definition of "fast" is a lot faster than the plane is used to! Running around 350mph the last year it raced, I know Andy has the plane ready to push 380+ without issues. Can't wait to see how Elliott and the team do this year.

#39 (N123AJ): Lavelle and Race 39 are the current title holders for the fastest Glasair, the fastest qualifier, and the fastest race speed ever clocked by a sport racer at Reno. After a 1 year hiatus, Jeff is back and wants his title back. If it doesn't break it's on the podium, there's not much else to be said!

#44 (N23LF) "Miss Karen II": Lynn Farnsworth and MK2 have a very good track record and come off of a solid second place finish in last years Sport Gold. Finishing 3 seconds behind Blue II, Lynn is and will be a force to be reckoned with this year. I'm not sure if any recent mods have been done, but if Jeff is running 400+ laps on Sunday, 370mph won't be cutting it.

#42 (N42XT) "Relentless": We all know what a NXT airframe can do (Thanks Jon Sharpe), and Kevin Eldredge wants to show everybody what Relentless can do. Last year had Race 42 rocking an 8-cylinder ACE engine and he's back at it again this year. Placing 5th in last year's Gold at a speed of 310 (nearly 40mph slower than 4th place), it seems as if Kevin's plans didn't go as he hoped. Good news is, this wasn't the full potential of this beast of an engine. After last year's races, Kevin reported that there was a "miscommunication in the set up of the cam timing". The engine was only putting out 350 horsepower and is capable of at least 475. If you think of it logically, that will be about 35% increase in horsepower, and if that directly translates to 35% increase in speed... Well you get the point, Relentless will not disappoint. And for once she's fully painted and looks amazing!

#47 (N295JH) "Lucky Mojo": Gary Mead has a very fast Glasair that always has a spot in the Gold race. We all know what a Glasair is capable of and if Gary did any more mods in the off-season, Lucky Mojo will definitely be a contender. She placed 4th in the Gold last year with a speed of 348mph which is nothing to be looked past. She may get knocked down by some of these new Legacy's, but i wouldn't count Gary out yet.

#352 (N352BT) "Blue Thunder II": Reno 2015's Sport gold winner and almost always a podium finished (if it doesn't break). I'm not sure what has been done to Blue for this year, but I think the engine may be tuned a little differently. If John wants to keep up with Race 39, there better be a little more horsepower inside that Falconer!

#67 & #151: These are two honorable mentions as they are both Thunder Mustang's which are probably faster than Vince Walker's "Modo Mio". Clas Thunder Race 151 raced a 320mph average in 2014. Both of these Thunder's will definitely be pushing the bottom of the Gold race and sound awesome while doing it!!!

That is your outlook of the hot-shots of the sport class in 2016. All tallied up that's 13 racers that are Gold race capable. Most likely 9 racers will make it into the Sport Gold and that leaves 4 planes that can run over 300mph in the Silver (if nobody breaks). Now this is gonna be a really fun year to watch. I couldn't be more excited and I hope this pumps you all up as well
            Great write up...gets my blood pumping!!

Comment

I think it's time the Sport Gold gets it's own "duck walk" on Sunday afternoon.

Great post!
              Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Critter View Post
                I think it's time the Sport Gold gets it's own "duck walk" on Sunday afternoon.

Great post!
                Not a half bad idea...

There's not enough good photos taken of these guys either ...

- Joseph

Comment

Sport class is so fast they have a pace jet now!

Random Air Blog

Comment

"The Sport Class has been growing at such an incredible rate recently, not only in the size of the class but the speed of the top contenders, causing the class to change the way we start the Gold race. First, some more information about how some of the Gold racers work.

An experimental aircraft that is capable of 400 mph takes some fine tuning to say the least. Slang we use for that is called twizzling. Generally it consists of winding up a huge engine to create monster power levels, while flying formation, down the start chute of the race. These big engines take more than just throttle to make the power they do. With so many systems, manifold pressure, rpm, fuel flow, ADI flow, coolant spray bars, etc etc, you get pretty busy in the cockpit. This phase of the flight is compounded when you have to start from a low power setting, i.e. lower airspeed. The huge change in power levels cause massive changes in settings, something that is very hard to do in line abreast formation. The solution for this is actually very simple: Start the races at a higher power setting, where the engine is already ‘happy’. In the end that is much safer for pilots and engines, but it created a new problem.

The pace plane that the Sport Class has been using for many years is a Lancair Evolution, a PT-6 powered pressurized 4 seat kit aircraft. A leader in its class, but not quite fast enough for the Gold race. When you think about it, the Gold racers are now some of the fastest piston engine propeller aircraft that exist. The only way to have a safe pace aircraft is to either use an actual race aircraft, or.. use a jet!

With this beautiful example of an L-39 we can easily set a proper chute speed where the Gold racers can be up at a power level where the engine wants to be, making a much safer and competitive race start.
                    "

(copied from the Sport Class web sit in the link above).

I've always been a bit "dismissive" of those "plastic airplanes". I'm here to say I was wrong in that attitude.

This really is looking like the future of serious air racing. The problem is going to be how to get the general public who pay the bucks to fill the seats, if the Unlimited participation continues to decline. The Sports don't have the size. sound and charisma that Mustangs and Sea Furies bring. How is the Sport Class going to convince people that the innovation and hard work showing up in the Sport Class make it worth Joe Sixpack spending a thousand bucks to come to Reno to cheer on Blue II and Relentless etc.? We diehard Race fans know it's worthwhile, but what about the rest of the World?

It costs just as much to put on a Sport Class Race as an Unlimited Race. How do we get the people to come?

Great writeup, by the way, GRNDP!

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                      It costs just as much to put on a Sport Class Race as an Unlimited Race. How do we get the people to come?
                      Whenever I think of a successful motorsport and how that relates to NCAR I think of NASCAR!

Back when Sport Class was just being born, Mark Kallio and I went to the first annual Pylon Racing School to see what this was all about. At the time, there was quite a lot of excitement over the new class...

Dug this out of the archives.. http://aafo.com/racing/news/98/sport-1.htm
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

How bout an unlimited sport class. Basically same rules apply as the sport class, but no limit on engine size
                        Brian

Comment

Get's me thinking..

I wonder what the feasibility is of a sport/Unlimited combination class. Maybe a 2000 cid limit. Mustangs and small Yaks ok. No Bearcat's or Furies. A place where the Thunders and Super Legacies could stretch their legs against P-40's, Mustangs, and such like.

Would the propwash from a full size P-51, on today's course, be significantly dangerous for a Lancair?

I still like the idea of a stocker Warbird division better..

If the Sport could gain popularity, and maybe a few more venues. Perhaps we'd see more purpose built racers once again.

- Joseph

Comment

Reference Race #6. That airplane has been withdrawn from racing this year. Maintenance issues. However, just for the record, when it was Race #21 it was raced by Dave Morss. So, it has gone around the pylons in real Reno races.

#
                            That is your outlook of the hot-shots of the sport class in 2016. All tallied up that's 13 racers that are Gold race capable. Most likely 9 racers will make it into the Sport Gold and that leaves 4 planes that can run over 300mph in the Silver (if nobody breaks). Now this is gonna be a really fun year to watch. I couldn't be more excited and I hope this pumps you all up as well [/QUOTE]

Race #44 has set a World Record of over 390 MPH on a 3 Kilometer course, flown by Elliot Seguin.
                            Last edited by georgiacub; 09-05-2016, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                              How bout an unlimited sport class. Basically same rules apply as the sport class, but no limit on engine size
                              Brian
                              The reality is we haven't even come close to our 1,000 cubic inch limit yet, nor do I think we will very soon. What we have now is basically unlimited, for all intents and purposes. The reason the sport airplanes aren't kicking a bunch of Unlimited ass is their minimum weight limit rule. Which, between us girls, is specifically to keep the sport class out of the show.

When you start looking at what power plants could be built over 1,000 cubic inches, you basically start building a real P-51. I don't think the two classes will overlap in that regard.
                              Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Working...
                              X