Hey at least for now there's 2 Unlimited races on Sunday

AND the Phantoms are gonna be there after all
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Preliminary schedule is up!!

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    http://airrace.org/wp-content/upload...ngSchedule.pdf

Hey at least for now there's 2 Unlimited races on Sunday

AND the Phantoms are gonna be there after all
    Looks like its going to be one hell of a show. Can't wait to be there and I really can't wait to see the QF4 fly-by. Last chance to see that ever.

Stay positive folks and come support the races!!!

Comment

Thanks for posting
      I'm still looking for the unlimited list of this year, as far as I read there will hopefully be Voodoo, Czech Mate, Dreadnought, Argonaut, "924", Rare Bear and some stock Mustangs on the ramp?

Best regards,
      Florian

Comment

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the Hinton family
        Is mourning the loss of Mr. Maloney

Blue skies
        And tailwinds forever Mr. Maloney

Much love to the entire family
        At this difficult time

Doc

out

Comment

Originally posted by Florian View Post
          Thanks for posting
          I'm still looking for the unlimited list of this year, as far as I read there will hopefully be Voodoo, Czech Mate, Dreadnought, Argonaut, "924", Rare Bear and some stock Mustangs on the ramp?

Best regards,
          Florian
          No Rare Bear this year. To the best of my knowledge, it will be the following

Voodoo
          Czech Mate
          Dread
          Saw Bones
          Argo
          Sparky
          Dusty Dowd's Yak
          The Rebel

Comment

+ PoF's P-51A and what about the Paul family?

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
              + PoF's P-51A and what about the Paul family?
              Really hope the A model is racing... And last I heard it was rumored that they pulled out but I haven't heard anything confirmed. I'm done with the rumor mill I'm just waiting for the official entries
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

So they are doing 1 on 1 racing in the T-6 class and some sort of slalom race in sport class?

Has this been discussed?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                  So they are doing 1 on 1 racing in the T-6 class and some sort of slalom race in sport class?

Has this been discussed?
                  The T-6 1v1 happened last year, one lap around the course just for fun I think... And the slalom hasn't been discussed probably because it was just hinted at. I heard it talked about a little after PRS and they never really released anything on it. Probably just another "for fun" race to fill up some slots with some different types of racing. Better than down time!!
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post

Has this been discussed?
                    The T-6 1 on 1 races are similar to the old T-6 'drag races' that they used to do at Mojave. Side-by-side race horse start, take off, retract the gear, one lap around the course.

They did them in the mornings last year.

I'd kind of like to see them do the Unlimiteds the same way like they did at Mojave.

Comment

What I'd like to see one day is an endurance race, much in the vein of the old 500 and 1000 races at Mojave and San Diego. A race where you could enter stock and semi- stock warbirds. Lots of people would love to just see fighters fly for a long period of time. Could even make for a greater entry line- up.

T J

Comment

I really liked the Mojave drag races. None of the top unlimited participated, it seems it was mostly the Bronze class racers that did it. I always thought that would be a neat event for Reno.

I remember in 1979 seeing Jim Maloney in the POF Hellcat race Dwight Reimer (?) in the B-26 Cotton Jenny that totally blew me away. It seemed like the Hellcat was airborne and a third of the way around the course before the B-26 got its gear up, but that Invader crossed the finish line first! I'm sure these events were more show than racing, but it was still fun to watch - I think they even had a pretty woman with a flag standing between and in front of the planes to start the race.

Comment

I do seem to remember something like that for the T-6's last year now that you all say it.

Im guessing the slalom will be sort of a budget redbull race.

I like it. As long as they are filling time with airplanes they are on the right track. Although everyone cheering when those 2 SAABs hit each other was a highlight for me....

Comment

sad very sad
                            Last edited by tow-3; 08-24-2016, 05:43 PM.
                            bob burns
                            ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
                            "dont mess with texas"

Comment

The Match Race was demonstrated to RARA and the FAA during PRS. Also, I believe 8 pilots were qualified to race the match race.

A lot of people compare it to Red Bull but there is a big difference: this is a head to head race. Winner advances, loser goes home. A flight lead orbits with a formation of race aircraft, and a pace aircraft picks up racers and drops them on the course 2 at a time. It is a quick way to go head to head, and produce a winner. It should be great for the fans because you get to see a lot of racing, pretty quickly, with an obvious winner and loser. It all happens show center also. With varying types of aircraft, you will see some pretty dramatic difference in how the course is flown, particularly during the reversal turn. If we want to keep true air racing alive, we need to be keep it fresh and have as much racing as possible.

~Tom
                              Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Working...
                              X