new air and space museum on NBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new air and space museum on NBC

The today show had a segment featuring the new Smithsonian air and space museum this morning. Among the aircraft shown was the Conquest I Bearcat. There is also what appears to be a P-51 B or C hanging from the ceiling that is not in military colors. It is maroon with a maroon/white striped tail. I would guess it is also a former racing plane. I'm sure someone here can indentify it for me.

Kevin

The Mustang in question is named Excaliber III.

Originally, it was one of Paul Mantz's Bendix racers. I believe that this airframe is the one that won the '46 and '47 races.

I believe it was sold to a man named Charles Blair, who did 'point to point' speed records. He named it Stormy Petril, but changed it eventually to Excaliber III. He flew over the North Pole with it or something....I can't remember the specifics.

I think Scotty G. has a photo gallery of that airframe on his site.

Speeddemon

Comment

new air and space museum on nbc

Yes, that Mustang is Charlie Blair's airplane he flew over the North Pole. He was the author of a book "Red Ball in the Sky" which goes into details of that trip among other interesting stories. Blair was a senior Pan Am pilot, Air Force Reserve General officer and owner of a Seaplane commuter line in the US Virgin Islands which operated Grumman Goose, PBY's, a Short Sandringham, and the Sikorski VS-44A which is now in the museum in Bradley. Ct. Blair was killed in the only aircraft mishap he ever experienced when he lost an engine in a Goose on a revenue passenger flight while descending to St.Thomas harbor.
      He was married to the actress Maureen O'Hara at the time.

Comment

Working...
      X