Super Corsair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Corsair

I'm scanning some Chino stuff and discovered I quite like this shot. It was done during qualifying from the old Pylon 6 -- back in the day when we could occasionally work there. Steve Hinton driving.
    Attached Files

Re: Super Corsair

Great pic. That is one racer I really miss. It would have been interesting to see the Super Corsair refined.

Comment

It actually was quite refined. There was a lot of Bruce Boland and Pete Law in that airplane. It's worth noting that it raced quite a bit faster than the Red Baron ever did, and at its best it ran nicely with Dreadnought. I don't even think Jeannie ever raced faster than this airplane ran in 1985.

But, it was very much racing on the (relatively) cheap. And, it was a rather chubby and quite heavy airframe with a thick high lift 1930s wing -- nothing approaching the refinement of a Mustang or Sea Fury airfoil. If you had lots of money to spend, there were MUCH better starting points than a boneyard Corsair. The big advantage for the Chino boys was that this airframe was free...

Neal
      Attached Files
      Last edited by wingman; 06-01-2016, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Comment

Awesome photos, Neal! That was such a cool looking racer!

Comment

Thank you! The Super Corsair was a big favourite of mine. I knew many of the people involved, and respected them all. They managed to do a lot and have a lot of fun on a pretty modest investment. Hey they won a Reno Championship!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by wingman; 06-01-2016, 05:28 PM.

Comment

That first shot is awesome!
              Random Air Blog

Comment

And it sure did SMOKE!
                All the 4360's do.
                Attached Files
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Did they ever come up with an idea of what let go, leading to the crash?

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                    Thank you! The Super Corsair was a big favourite of mine. I knew many of the people involved, and respected them all. They managed to do a lot and have a lot of fun on a pretty modest investment. Hey they won a Reno Championship!
                    Would love to see more photos of it! It's a favorite of mine as well, just one of those that "looks" like a racer should in my mind. The year they won the championship they also set a record for the fastest race right? Also the story I've heard of heard of Frank Sanders' comments after the first flight of the Super Corsair are hilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                      And it sure did SMOKE!
                      All the 4360's do.
                      Leo: just curious, any idea why are the 4360's such "smoke bombs"? Simply more cylinders than the 3350's or 2800's? Higher compression? Having seen the startups of Dread, Furias and various super Corsairs over the years, I've always wondered....
                      Mark Johnson
                      Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan View Post
                        Leo: just curious, any idea why are the 4360's such "smoke bombs"? Simply more cylinders than the 3350's or 2800's? Higher compression? Having seen the startups of Dread, Furias and various super Corsairs over the years, I've always wondered....
                        I'm not Leo, but I've also wondered the same thing. Pretty much what you said - 13 cylinders have center lines that are oriented between 3 and 9 o'clock. That, plus having the long intake runners and joints that make nice reservoirs for oil to collect and pool. I'd expect that it takes a while for fresh fuel to wash the inside of those down.

I believe that Steve Hinton said that they experimented with larger cylinder wall clearances in the 1980s, which also resulted in more oil smoke whenever it was running. Seems that there was a period when Super Corsair had a little extra haze following it back then.
                        Last edited by 88SC; 06-02-2016, 10:00 PM.

Comment

It was an awfully good looking Racer, in a brutish kind of way. Looks like John has quite a bit of rudder and a lot of trim dialed in for this takeoff...
                          Attached Files

Comment

I'm no engine expert but was always under the impression that the air cooled engines had looser tolerances (in general) to allow for heating and cooling differences (compared to a water cooled which has a relatively stable running temp.). The Bear used to run messy. Has not seemed to win much since it started running clean.
                            I had a little experience with a B-25 back in the 80's and it pumped out a LOT of oil on startup. Seemed when it parked and we wiped things down there were gallons spewed all over that thing.
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

V-12's are internally lubricated engines, while Redial engines are externally lubricated

Comment

Working...
                              X