P-47 down in the Hudson river

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-47 down in the Hudson river

Looks like a water landing after engine failure. No word yet on the pilot, praying for good news.

Re: P-47 down in the Hudson river

Originally posted by Rarebearcat View Post
    Looks like a water landing after engine failure. No word yet on the pilot, praying for good news.
    Latest reports showing the pilot did not make it. Awful just awful. In my prayers along with the family

Also news has it that it was a 3 ship flight and more than likely Thom Richard was a part of that flight in a P-40. Just terrible he had to watch that gorgeous plane go down
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 05-27-2016, 08:30 PM.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Three ship photo flight with a P-40. One of our own, Thom Richard, was flying the P-40. Last word I heard he was down safe as is the photo ship....sad for the loss of the P-47 pilot, relieved the rest are uninjured.

Comment

As far as I know this is the first P-47 fatal Warbird accident- very sad.

Comment

remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
            For those who aren't familiar with this airframe, it's a racer. Restored in the '90's by Tiger D, then run at Phoenix '95 by Bob Hannah, and at Reno '95 by Bruce Lockwood and David Price.

Comment

Did they race it at Reno? I don't remember it at all. I certainly enjoyed it at Phoenix.

Neal

Comment

I remember seeing it in the pits at Reno, but don't remember them actually racing it? Did they even get qualified? That recovery photo is not what I expected to see for a fatal crash - it's amazingly intact. I wonder if the pilot was incapacitated or just couldn't get out before it sunk?

Comment

Very Sad...

I have a question for the aviators on this board:

What is the SOP for ditching? In the recovery photos, it looks like the canopy was only partially open. Do you have the canopy closed prior to touchdown to keep water out during impact?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Here is a link that shows the ditching.
                  "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Working...
                  X