Miss America's trimtab incident.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss America's trimtab incident.

Just a few pics of Miss A and her lost trim tab. According to one of the team members, someone out near the pylons got lucky enough to see it come down and brought the damaged trim back.

Duane
    Attached Files
    One more blade and a little less roar, Team Rare Bear ROCKED in 2004 !

Trim Tab

Just a few pics of Miss A and her lost trim tab. According to one of the team members, someone out near the pylons got lucky enough to see it come down and brought the damaged trim back.

Duane
    Attached Files

Comment

pic 3
      Attached Files

Comment

pic 4
        Attached Files

Comment

pic 5
          Attached Files

Comment

Brent !
            Attached Files

Comment

Trim Tab

I wonder why Miss America has lost so many rudder trim tabs over the years- Chuck Hall lost one at Reno, Howie lost a few (?),
              and now Brent......

hmmmmmmm......??????

Great job getting Miss A going again guys!!!

All the best, Randy Goss
              Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
              RIP 03/17/10

Comment

trim tabs

Ddin't Voodoo lose one also at one time, I could be mistaken.

But does seem to be happening to often, even if it is only one a few years apart.

Duane

Comment

Trim Tabs

You are correct about a number of racers losing trim tabs. Dan Martin lost a rudder trim tab in his early racing years. The way I see it is the G forces on the control serfaces causes fatigue over the years and the hinge breaks down. Miss A trim tab was torn away from the hinge. I could be spitting in the wind with my analysis, but what the hell. I was out at pylon 2 when she came over and lost the tab. It was one of the pylon judges who retreived the tab from the desert. We all wondered what fell off the aircraft until the judge walks back with this two foot section of trim tab.

Dave

Comment

In a 1989 heat race, Merlin's Magic lost a rudder trim tab while coming down the chute just as the planes were released for the start. Stu said that the rudder pedals suddenly shook violently kicking his feet off of them. He began to pull up off of the course thinking there was some major engine problem. Quickly, though, everything smoothed out so he finished the race minus a trim tab. That was the same year that Bob Hoover collided with a truck on the ramp in his Mustang. He let us borrow his rudder to finish off the week of racing. In the off season Stu modified another rudder and had a tube welded on the trailing edge in place of the trim tab. We also painted the new "race" rudder yellow, in honor of Bob Hoover. We currently keep that rudder on the aircraft year round. It is a controversial subject as to run with or without a rudder trim tab while racing. In my experience, at speeds over 400 mph on the course it actually takes a bit of right rudder to keep a coordinated turn, in our airplane, around the pylons. We use a yaw string on top of the cowling so we can monitor coordinated flight while being heads up. Interesting subject.

Bill Eberhardt

Comment

Sitting here in my Merlin's Magic hat (partially because I'm a fan, partially because I'm going bald), reading your post. Great stuff. Thanks for the insight.

Scott Stebbins

Comment

Re: trim tabs

Originally posted by bearfan1
                        Ddin't Voodoo lose one also at one time, I could be mistaken.

But does seem to be happening to often, even if it is only one a few years apart.

Duane
                        Voodoo lost an elevator tab in '98 with "Buckwheat" at the controls.
                        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Race 22

Reno 1989 -- Stu discusses rudder trim tabs, or the lack thereof, with Dan Martin...

Neal
                          Attached Files

Comment

Race 22

Reno 1989 -- the temporary solution...

Neal
                            Attached Files

Comment

Race 22

Longer term solution -- No trim tab at all...

Neal
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X