FAA Will NEED HELP SOON!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAA Will NEED HELP SOON!

FAA is making all modelers register, hope they got a lot of man power because that will be what it will take.

Re: FAA Will NEED HELP SOON!

Not problem the Fed's will print more money. Who cares that it is a burden our children will pay for.
    Deep Enough

Comment

Originally posted by fastpace View Post
      FAA is making all modelers register, hope they got a lot of man power because that will be what it will take.
      Guess what else.
      If you just happen to have an FAA pilot's license, and fly your "drone" (now meant to mean most r/c aircraft) in an "unsafe manner", they just might want that back, too.
      After all, they are now saying that anything that flies is an "aircraft".
      All bets are off.
      How's that for changing America?

Comment

I assume that's the price we all pay for the morons that fly drones in the paths of commercial airliners , over fire fighters and police while they do their jobs , and in an instance I personally experienced , someone flying one into a football field and crashing into a Pop Warner player slashing the little boys forearm (never figured out where it came from)...I imagine the terror threat atmosphere of the world certainly has a bit to do with it as well...I agree, regulation sucks, but in this case it's certainly in large part the result of less than impressive behavior by the object operators...It's $5 every 3 years for your personal number and that covers ALL your models (NOT $5 for each)...For those that are not up to speed on what's happening see the link below for the AMA info regarding what this means.

Today the FAA announced plans for a model aircraft registration process to begin next week. AMA was a member of the task force that helped develop recommend ...

Comment

I despise yet more govt interference in my life, as we certainly have enough already. I also question the enforceability of this other than when an incident happens. That said, toldjaso's comment wasn't one that I had considered and is very relevant to me as I operate a full-size in addition to flying RC. I would NOT want to get my full-scale cert yanked because some nitwit thought my low pass with my RC was "unsafe."

I think the biggest problem is that RC used to be a hobby where folks operated only out of sanctioned fields and were serious about the hobby. Now any moron with a few bucks can buy some cheap Chinese POS airplane/drone and operate it in a negligent manner. This causes govt to react the only way they know how, with a knee-jerk.

I have always respected facets of the hobby I wasn't into myself (free-flight, competition scale, pattern, glider, etc) when I was into more sport stuff. However, I believe the AMA made a HUGE mistake by opening their arms to drones. I can only imagine they were looking at the booming market, ad $$$ etc. Unfortunately, the RC plane/heli community could have drawn a dividing line between itself and drones and possibly not been the target of the FAA. But when the AMA allowed drones to become a recognized legitimate AMA activity, they also caused the rest of the RC aircraft community to be indistinguishable to the FAA from drones.

Comment

Originally posted by omalley1537 View Post
            I despise yet more govt interference in my life, as we certainly have enough already. I also question the enforceability of this other than when an incident happens. That said, toldjaso's comment wasn't one that I had considered and is very relevant to me as I operate a full-size in addition to flying RC. I would NOT want to get my full-scale cert yanked because some nitwit thought my low pass with my RC was "unsafe."

I think the biggest problem is that RC used to be a hobby where folks operated only out of sanctioned fields and were serious about the hobby. Now any moron with a few bucks can buy some cheap Chinese POS airplane/drone and operate it in a negligent manner. This causes govt to react the only way they know how, with a knee-jerk.

I have always respected facets of the hobby I wasn't into myself (free-flight, competition scale, pattern, glider, etc) when I was into more sport stuff. However, I believe the AMA made a HUGE mistake by opening their arms to drones. I can only imagine they were looking at the booming market, ad $$$ etc. Unfortunately, the RC plane/heli community could have drawn a dividing line between itself and drones and possibly not been the target of the FAA. But when the AMA allowed drones to become a recognized legitimate AMA activity, they also caused the rest of the RC aircraft community to be indistinguishable to the FAA from drones.
            I saw an article where an r/c club who always flew at a glider-port was told to "stand down", as they fell within the 30 MILE radius of Reagan airport, which is now a "no-drone zone". 30 miles! that is probably several towns or city's in that circle. As I recall, over 1800 different r/c club members in the area.
            Oh well, guess everyone will just have to stay inside where it is "safe".

Comment

Very well put and yes full size will suffer just as the modelers will suffer from the outlaw bunch, sorry to say that but reality is what it is and as electronics has caught up with us just as the ARF has taken out the education of building a model plane and watching your craftmanship get into the air

Comment

Well as Dennis Miller told Bill O'Reilly not is "America on the cliff but we have already gone over it."
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Wait till they discover the dangerous "Model Airplane Show Loophole" I once bought an unregistered model airplane from a man in dark glasses sitting behind a folding table. I gave him cash and he didn't ask any questions. He also had knives for sale

Comment

The AMA totally sold us out.

I wish we modelers could stand united and just say no. Refuse to register, and tell the FAA AND AMA to f&#K-off.

Drones have killed zero citizens, and I need a licence to now fly my model plane. Guns have killed millions, yet gun OWNERS need not be licensed, or registered in America to use their guns.
                    '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

I agree with you but I would rather be on the right side of the law than the wrong side and having a group working for us and not against us. Would you fly a plane with no "N" number on it, how long would that last.

Comment

Originally posted by planecrazy2 View Post
                        The AMA totally sold us out.

I wish we modelers could stand united and just say no. Refuse to register, and tell the FAA AND AMA to f&#K-off.

Drones have killed zero citizens, and I need a licence to now fly my model plane. Guns have killed millions, yet gun OWNERS need not be licensed, or registered in America to use their guns.
                        First of all if you need to do some fact checking. If you were to be very generous and encompass all firearm fatalities in the US it would be under 15,000 annually therefore it would take 66+ years to equal 1 million. And that is if the numbers were consistent year to year historically which they aren't.
                        Furthermore if every single law abiding gun owning American were to march down to the police station tomorrow and register everything they owned it wouldn't change the numbers even a little bit. Because why? Criminals don't give a damn about existing laws (Murder is already illegal) so why would they suddenly change?

As is typical with the federal government this whole drone/RC thing is a knee-jerk reaction without fully understanding the big picture. Registering drones/models because of a few asshats who haven't got the common sense of a box of rocks makes as much sense as making gun owners register their firearms because some asshat used one in a robbery.

Comment

A few years ago, there was some guy that they caught planning to put explosives in an r/c F-16 (as I recall), and use it for a terrorist attack. It was a large model, and that got a lot of people really upset, and fearing that doomsday was here.
                          That was before all of these quad copters came to be so popular.
                          I figured that the plan would be when you registered your drone, they would have the place to register all your guns on the same form.
                          I own a full-scale RV-6 homebuilt, several r/c planes from .5 ounces to 25 lbs in size, and a .50 caliber rifle with a high power scope on it. Why? Because I can. And I might feel the need.
                          And I did register as an r/c pilot on the 19th, while it was still free. So now, I have to register my RV-6 every 3 years, and my r/c licence every 3 years. Both cost $5 each for now, could be a lot more later, who knows? Maybe they will just make it $50, or $500, who the hell can stop them from it???! Gotta pay for Omombacare somehow.
                          I guess I won't be using that yellow Monokote I bought to cover my P-51D model to look like Bob Hoover's Old Yeller, the same FAA guys who screwed him over might happen to see my model and decide to ground me, too!
                          Last edited by toldjaso; 01-23-2016, 01:00 AM.

Comment

[B]It is not who they have killed, it is what the A%#@ are doing with them. There have been some hurt, If they keep it up some body will get killed. They had a place that got broke in to four times there were $30,000 worth of drones taken the high end kind, I bet they will be sure and register those I am with you guys I don't like it either but what are we to do. Who has got deep pockets to fight government.

Comment

Ok fact check folks.

The new law does not require that drones, model planes and helies be registered.

The law requires the PILOT be registered, and carry a registration card on their person to be presented to law enforcement upon request, if they are in the act of flying. Another stipulation is the aircraft have the owners ID info and AMA or Federal ID number on-board the aircraft.

First of all if you need to do some fact checking. If you were to be very generous and encompass all firearm fatalities in the US it would be under 15,000 annually therefore it would take 66+ years to equal 1 million. And that is if the numbers were consistent year to year historically which they aren't.

Chris, sorry but my gun owner analogy was lost on you. The fact that "guns have killed millions (plural) of people" is true, and not open to debate. BTW, USA gun deaths per year also include 20k+ suicide by gun which you left out of your stats. Also true is the fact that gun owners are not required to carry any ID that proves they are a registered gun owner. An exception would be open carry laws.

I am an active full scale pilot, I own a '67 C-150, a coastal sailor, I own a Catalina 250, I have been a modeler for 51 years. I also own firearms. I am aware of the laws and restrictions in each genre of my hobby life. Up till now I was most ashamed of the NRA for their misinformation, propaganda, lies and politician buying in the name of their twisted version of the 2nd. amendment. Now I must say the FAA has topped the NRA on my list of most hated 3 letter acronym entities.
                              '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Working...
                              X