Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RARA raffling Lexus RC350F, Dec. 31, 2015, 10 am, $100/ticket, 1000 tickets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RARA raffling Lexus RC350F, Dec. 31, 2015, 10 am, $100/ticket, 1000 tickets.

The Reno Air Racing Association has been organizing the National Championship Air Races for over 60 years, promoting its storied traditions and pageantry.

Can support Air Races & have chance to drive a new car.

Re: RARA raffling Lexus RC350F, Dec. 31, 2015, 10 am, $100/ticket, 1000 tickets.

I'll give RARA some kudos for this line of thinking.

I'm on the Board of Directors for another aviation-related 501c(3) and we regularly utilize a raffle as a way to raise money. Our organization registers with the state (TN) for the option to hold the raffle, which costs $600. We purchase the prizes, usually spending around $30k and, after paying for marketing and the state-required post-raffle audit fee, we still can net out $30-60k, assuming we sell all of our tickets [the same # as RARA, 1000 tickets at $100 each].

Nice work, RARA, to help keep the lights on!

Sam
    Biplane Race #3

Comment

Re: RARA raffling Lexus RC350F, Dec. 31, 2015, 10 am, $100/ticket, 1000 tickets.

Originally posted by flyboycpa View Post

I'm on the Board of Directors for another aviation-related 501c(3) and we regularly utilize a raffle as a way to raise money. Our organization registers with the state (TN) for the option to hold the raffle, which costs $600. We purchase the prizes, usually spending around $30k and, after paying for marketing and the state-required post-raffle audit fee, we still can net out $30-60k, assuming we sell all of our tickets [the same # as RARA, 1000 tickets at $100 each].

Sam
      I think it's an amazing idea! I'm always cash short but I'm going to step up for this one... I've got a really nice older BMW that I'm quite fond of, so I'd probably sell it if I won.. (would have to in order to make taxes anyway)

I like what I'm seeing!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

How much would it cost to buy the car from the dealer? Is the winner responsible to pay taxes and DMV fees or is that included?

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
          How much would it cost to buy the car from the dealer? Is the winner responsible to pay taxes and DMV fees or is that included?
          Aww Geez SvD... gotta file this under the "how the frick would we know?" category.... TONGUE IN CHEEK!!!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Sounds like a good idea. I'm surprised the drawing is at the end of the year. Doesn't seem like a very long time to sell 1000 tickets.

Comment

Fully optioned, that is a $55k car. In 99.9% of cases, the winner is always responsible for taxes and fees when they win a drawing like this.

Comment

Not everyone wants/needs a 2 door luxury sports car. Maybe it would be a better idea to allow the winner to choose a type of car they need, for example a college student may want a Mini Cooper, a working man/woman may want a Truck, a family may want an SUV. The raffle has now limited participants to those who want a luxury sports car, they have ignored the other 75% of the population.

Maybe marketing surveys show the person most likely to buy a raffle ticket for the car is a person who wants a Luxury Sports Car so they are raffling exactly what is likely to be wanted.
                Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 11-26-2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Not everyone wants/needs a 2 door luxury sports car. Maybe it would be a better idea to allow the winner to choose a type of car they need, for example a college student may want a Mini Cooper, a working man/woman may want a Truck, a family may want an SUV. The raffle has now limited participants to those who want a luxury sports car, they have ignored the other 75% of the population.

Maybe marketing surveys show the person most likely to buy a raffle ticket for a car is a person who wants a Luxury Sports Car so they are raffling exactly what is likely to be wanted.
                  I think most anybody would be happy to win a RC350 F sport, it's a wonderful car. And if they really don't like it they have a $60k car to trade in on whatever they like!
                  Last edited by GRNDP51; 11-26-2015, 03:50 PM.
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                    I think most anybody would be happy to win a RC350 F sport, it's a wonderful car. And if they really don't like it they have a $60k car to trade in on whatever they like!
                    I agree, most people would like to win a new car, but many people may not be able to afford the estimated $15,000 closing costs of taxes and DMV fees. I think it would have been a better idea to include those closing cost fees in the raffle and if it varies from state to state, give the winner any excess in cash or gas credit card. Winning a $50,000 car is a nightmare if you cannot afford to pay the closing costs, especially if you lose the car because you cannot afford to pay the closing costs.

How many people here are going to buy tickets?

Comment

What is the estimated closing costs of taxes and DMV fees for this $50,000 car?

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                        Indeed...!

Being unsure if SVD is a troll, the administrator decided that a time out was in order.... Let's proceed with a positive light on this thread!

I haven't busted out my C note yet but plan to!

What to heck? You skip a couple dinners at Red Lobster, plop that on a chance at a really great car, you help propagate the future of our favorite sport...

Pretty much a no brainer!

Let's do a BMW next!!!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The next car should be a Dodge Challenger Hellcat or Charger Hellcat.

Giving it away at next years air races. Tie in the marketing with a F6F Hellcat, having both sitting on display at the air races.

Winner also gets a photoshoot session with both Hellcats.

If you want to really think out the box, have one of the custom builders Dave Kindig (Bitchen Rides) or Chip Foose build a themed Dodge Hellcat.

Heck, the Discovery Channel is always looking for new material, the build and give away on Sunday could be a good episode or two. Maybe even get some tie-in/shop footage from Hinton's Planes of Fame.

Who knows, the Discovery Channel has had years of biker builders, gold digger shows, fishing shows and now car build shows. Our sports has lots of shops with lots of interesting characters. Hinton's, Sanders, Thom and side kick "Wild Bill".

Think of the benefits and attention this could bring to the Reno air Races.

Comment

Thanks, Wayne, for putting the squash on the negativity. I also like the lines of thinking mentioned by DesertDawg. A themed-car would be pretty cool, but I think a daily-driver might have more marketing appeal to sell tickets (which ultimately, is THE goal).

Sam
                            Biplane Race #3

Comment

Thanks, Wayne, for putting the squash on the negativity. I also like the lines of thinking mentioned by DesertDawg. A themed-car would be pretty cool, but I think a daily-driver might have more marketing appeal to sell tickets (which ultimately, is THE goal).

Sam
                              Somehing loud and orange would be appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                              X