Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much flight time do the fastest Unlimiteds get during the year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much flight time do the fastest Unlimiteds get during the year?

I know there are a lot of variables so let's assume two choices. Choice 1, the plane is in good running condition with no problems. Choice 2, the plane has a new motor, new this/that...

How frequently/how many flight/ground hours do the fastest Unlimiteds fly/test during the year? How long will these planes sit for without flight time, if they are in good running condition?

Re: How much flight time do the fastest Unlimiteds get during the year?

What's flight time? Does from Stead, back home.. (reference the Bear..already home..) count?

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
      What's flight time? Does from Stead, back home.. (reference the Bear..already home..) count?
      I would consider flight time, the time it takes to make sure the plane is in good operating condition. You could include travel time to the Air Races and back home, but that is not what I had in mind.

Choice 1, the plane is in good running condition with no problems. Is it flown once a month for an hour, more/less?

Choice 2, the plane has a new motor, new this/that and the crew wants to make sure everything is in working condition. How frequently would it be flown?
      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-26-2015, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
        I would consider flight time, the time it takes to make sure the plane is in good operating condition. You could include travel time to the Air Races and back home, but that is not what I had in mind.

Choice 1, the plane is in good running condition with no problems. Is it flown once a month for an hour, more/less?

Choice 2, the plane has a new motor, new this/that and the crew wants to make sure everything is in working condition. How frequently would it be flown?
        Less than 10 hours a year for the top three. Others like Dread, Sawbones etc obviously get a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
          Less than 10 hours a year for the top three. Others like Dread, Sawbones etc obviously get a lot more.
          Is the 10 hours per year, generally 1 hour per month if all systems are ok? Is there a minimum flight hours required by the FAA/insurance requirements?

Comment

Maintenance man hours vs flight hours. That's a scary thought.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
              Is the 10 hours per year, generally 1 hour per month if all systems are ok? Is there a minimum flight hours required by the FAA/insurance requirements?
              No FAA requirements other that satisfying test flight hours as required. Most are not flown much at all during the off season. The hours get put on during test flights and engine run in time.

Comment

Did GG "satisfy test flight hours as required"?
                "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Working...
                X