Geneaology of Race Planes (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geneaology of Race Planes (?)

Has anyone compiled a database/ "family tree of air racers (planes).....
    I for one with my aging (read 52 Wayne) mind can barely keepup with all the facts/history presented.

......anyone brave enough to follow this llead/challenge ?

......sure is nice hearing from all the scources who filter through here!.....

Thanks Wayne ,for all you bring us and you work !
    Mayday51
    Jim Gallagher

list

I don't know if any of us have the time to do it alone. Sure would be neat tho, I'm sure all of us have info and pics and some time we could contribute.
    WAP has come the closest of any site with the photos but actual histories... Hmmmm.

Leo
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Hey.. thanks for the... er.... thanks!! I've not been doing a lot, lately, other than having the site up and this message board so everyone can contribute!

It only covers Unlimiteds, but Gary Williams has a fantastic set of books (soft cover) that have the Unlimited racers. I can't remember how far they go back though.

I don't have Gary's current email right in front of me but I know he comes here to this board at times. I'll also look his email up and update this post by edit sometime later.

Right now, it's snowing cats and dogs here and even the weather channel is not up to date on it!

I've got friends out there who are not ready for this, who are at work and I've got a 4x4 with four mounted studs in back in the bed of the truck...

I may have to go out and get them put on so I can do rescue duty later today!

I'll get back to ya's...

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hey Wayne
        I have a full set of Reed Kinerts Air Racing Annuals up the late seventies I think it is . Let me know if I can Help

I assume this would be mainly for the Warbirds but how far back do you go ? To the Cleveland Races or just the "modern era"?
        blacksheep
        Life's a Climb , But the view is Great

Comment

Wow! Something like that on CD would be awesome.

I have slides of mostly unlimiteds that go back to the early 80's if that would help.

Reever

Comment

It's funny, I've accually been working on a book for this subject. All I've really got so far is just text. Any pictures that I've taken that I could use weren't taken with the best equipment. There's a lot of info out there, I just wanted to get it into one place. CD would probably work much better than paper. I don't think it could sell enough "hard" copies to justify a publishers investment in a high quality book.

Race 29
            Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

....now that I've crossed over onto being "Oficially OLd"
              (Yep,Wayne past 50 does it !,we are paired at 52)

.........I guess I'm about as sharp as a sack of wet mice at times.

.............looking at what I do have and scources....I realized there is a good reference at:

...not race plane4s only,and not complete but the "fullest" I have found......good stuff on site too !
              Mayday51
              Jim Gallagher

Comment

Another useful resource I have found for warbirds in general is http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org

Rick

Comment

Along with both of those great resources is a book called "Warbirds directory" by John Chapman, Geoff Goodall, and Paul Coggan. It covers surviving examples of 200 different types of warbirds from the Arado AR96 to the North American F-100 and everything in between. The book claims it covers all the survivors, but it really includes a bunch that are no longer with us. It's a very complete book! Aircraft are listed with Manufactures construction number, customer (military) serial numbers, aircraft type and designation, any civil registrations assigned to that aircraft, and a short narative on the history of it. I picked up my copy (3rd edition) from the Chino museum. I don't know if there's a 4th edition yet. Most museums and aviation book shops should carry it.

Race 29
                  Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Working...
                  X