Bear Mayday, down safely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear Mayday, down safely

Don't know the specifics, but gear problems sound like it. Down safely, not sure why they took her up today..?
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Bear Mayday, down safely

Thanks for posting that, I was wondering if there was landing gear issue, especially when Strega flew over couple times for a close look.

Glad Stu got her down safely.
    Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-16-2015, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I was surprised they went up as well. I didn't hear a mayday call but it looked like something was going on.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
        I was surprised they went up as well. I didn't hear a mayday call but it looked like something was going on.
        Guess she took off too fast and the wheels didn't enjoy being pulled into the gear well at that speed..
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

The gears that move the pocket doors have been and probably will continue to be an ongoing issue on that airplane. I remember going through a box of spares and not having much luck finding any good ones. It would be an expensive part to make due to how complex it is, internal female spline precisely clocked to an external segmented gear. Not impossible, but very expensive, but there is such a small market for these parts that no one is willing to even tool up to do it.
          Last edited by knot4u; 09-16-2015, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
            The gears that move the pocket doors have been and probably will continue to be an ongoing issue on that airplane. I remember going through a box of spares and not having much luck finding any good ones. It would be an expensive part to make due to how complex it is, internal female spline precisely clocked to an external segmented gear. Not impossible, but very expensive, but there is such a small market for these parts that no one is willing to even tool up to do it.
            This is exactly why AAFO HangerTalk is so special - the knowledge present here is second to none.

A simple thread or question can turn into some interesting feedback/knowledge.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
              Guess she took off too fast and the wheels didn't enjoy being pulled into the gear well at that speed..
              I guess at least the problem of the extended gear/open wells fouling up air flow through the oil coolers so that flying too long with the gear down starts cooking things is no longer an issue... Boil-off wins on that one. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
                Boil-off wins on that one. ;-)
                Boil-off wins period.

The fluid capacity is such that the available fluid exceeds fuel, So you would run out of gas long before the cooler would go dry.
                Add the drag reduction and there is nothing not to like.
                Also in the case of RB having a midwing the entire system is gravity fed via a float so not even any pumps or electric valve.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                  Thanks for posting that, I was wondering if there was landing gear issue, especially when Strega flew over couple times for a close look.

Glad Stu got her down safely.
                  That wasn't Strega it was whoever was flying cover. Lady Alice I think.

Comment

Hmmm. 3D print out of some unobtainium?
                    "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk View Post
                      Hmmm. 3D print out of some unobtainium?
                      I doubt it. The structural integrity of that part would be suspect, which has already been a problem and the parts that aren't available were made during a time when the entire industrial might of our nation were building stuff not for profit but for a much more important reason. Sadly these airplanes will all be grounded someday due to the lack of available spares, unless someone decides to start redesigning and making these seemingly small parts that are are critical to safe flying.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                        That wasn't Strega it was whoever was flying cover. Lady Alice I think.
                        Probably Wee willy, they look the same for the most part lol
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I doubt it. The structural integrity of that part would be suspect, which has already been a problem and the parts that aren't available were made during a time when the entire industrial might of our nation were building stuff not for profit but for a much more important reason. Sadly these airplanes will all be grounded someday due to the lack of available spares, unless someone decides to start redesigning and making these seemingly small parts that are are critical to safe flying.
                          I feel like ACE, the company that made some parts for PM and the team is going to be the one help make the parts for the warbirds. Their mission seems to be just that..

Some of you have probably read this post

Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                            I feel like ACE, the company that made some parts for PM and the team is going to be the one help make the parts for the warbirds. Their mission seems to be just that..

Some of you have probably read this post

http://www.ace-performance.com/ace-b...riffon-engine/
                            I'm glad to see a company building parts for these airplanes. The pocket door segment gears on the Rare Bear are already overstressed, the market is one airplane that would require two parts. Engineering an improved version and making two parts without the backing of a huge company like Grumman (imagine ingots, forges and massive metalworking machines) is not impossible, but replicating and improving on the original will be exceedingly difficult, and not just financially.

Comment

Does anyone have a pic or a link to a pic/drawing of the pocket door mechanism?
                              "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Working...
                              X