Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RENO 2015 Separate Section / Life Saver Discovery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RENO 2015 Separate Section / Life Saver Discovery!

I've had the requests to set up a RENO 2015 separate forum and I'm in the process of getting that done... Prolly well known, AAFO_WSAGAR likes to drive, shall we say, fassst... my forays with appropriate law enforcement agencies, somewhat, well documented!

Had a wiggle in BeerNazi's old BMW that I purchased from her a couple years ago, with new tires at the time of purchase, sent me to my old racing buddy who has a tire shop in North Portland.. (oddly, his name is Garth... Wayne's world, party on, excellence!) He stopped everything and put the AAFO '03 travelmobile up on the rack and dammy! I had two three year old tires that had seprated thread over about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the tread.. Meaning, tread had separated on the inside of the left front and right rear... down to less than chord on the inside 1/4 of right rear.. The tread had separated from the actual tire and was completely gone due to centrifugal force!

Was going to go to local Les Schawb dealer but, Garth and his race shop are on the way to Wendy's and I love Wendy's Chili!!!!!!!!

Short story, Garth put me on the hoist and, frick! I had two three old tires that looked perfectly good from the ground, showing themselves to be ready to pop!

I'll never admit it in court, but, the land between Klamath Falls, OR and RENO, is pretty damned open air/groundspace.. Meaning, sometimes, I go a little beyond published maximums..

Long story short, the tires we discovered today, would, likely, have ruined my day, somewhere between PDX and RNO...

Amazing to me, how a tire can look so good on the outside, visible tread, and be completely bald on the inside tread!

It's called "Separation"....

I'm thinkin' it damn near killed me and my travel cat!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: RENO 2015 Separate Section / Life Saver Discovery!

Wayne...

You did good. Seems to be a lot of that going 'round this week.
    By chance... were your newest replacements coded 'at least' a W ?
    Have fun, but travel safely.
    Missing this year... doing BBQ instead

Bob

Comment

I like powerful vehicles as well, and although I try to stay at least in the general neighborhood of the speed limit, I do like to drive fast. Fortunately we have a lot of highways with limits of 75 and 80, and even one with an 85 limit, or I'd lose my sanity ;-p Whenever the subject of 'what should I do to make my car faster' comes up, my first two answers are 1) brakes, 2) tires. Everything else can wait until you can stop and turn faster than you can accelerate. Glad you found the failing tires before something Very Bad (tm) happened.

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
        I like powerful vehicles as well, and although I try to stay at least in the general neighborhood of the speed limit, I do like to drive fast. Fortunately we have a lot of highways with limits of 75 and 80, and even one with an 85 limit, or I'd lose my sanity ;-p Whenever the subject of 'what should I do to make my car faster' comes up, my first two answers are 1) brakes, 2) tires. Everything else can wait until you can stop and turn faster than you can accelerate. Glad you found the failing tires before something Very Bad (tm) happened.
        One thing I do not care for is congestion and lousy drivers. Give me a 2 lane open road and life is good.

One nice road is between Bridgeport, CA and Wellington, NV, 43 miles of open road first part follows the Walker river.

Comment

I just got back from the shop to make sure the rig was ready to handle the Boise to Reno trek; oil change, air filter, tires rotated, belt changed, fluids topped, etc...

It would suck to break down somewhere in that burnt desert!

For those of you traveling to the races via wheeled vehicle, make sure you inspect the basics cause we need you there!
          "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
            I just got back from the shop to make sure the rig was ready to handle the Boise to Reno trek; oil change, air filter, tires rotated, belt changed, fluids topped, etc...

It would suck to break down somewhere in that burnt desert!

For those of you traveling to the races via wheeled vehicle, make sure you inspect the basics cause we need you there!
            Couple more important checks:

Check spare tire/s condition/pressure
            Check battery (load test)
            Check lights (especially tail, turn signal and brakes)

Have a safe and fun trip.

Comment

Put a new set of tires on Tuesday. W rated.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                Couple more important checks:

Check spare tire/s condition/pressure
                Check battery (load test)
                Check lights (especially tail, turn signal and brakes)

Have a safe and fun trip.
                For long trips through the desert I also recommend:
                - 12-pack of bottled water for you OR the vehicle (or fill your own jug, but the 12-pack is easy)
                - Clif bars (the vehicle better not need any of those)
                - Check coolant level (including making sure the radiator is full, not just the reserve tank)
                - If your car uses a serpentine belt and is getting up in miles, toss a spare in the trunk. .
                - Duct tape
                - basic toolkit
                - 12V air compressor and a bottle of "slime" or equivalent, especially if all you have is a mini-spare
                - Cheap portable jumpstart pack (Harbor Freight has a surprisingly decent one)
                Last edited by 440_Magnum; 09-11-2015, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Great tips! I find myself pretty happy between 80-85, but once in a while....lol

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                    I've had the requests to set up a RENO 2015 separate forum and I'm in the process of getting that done... Prolly well known, AAFO_WSAGAR likes to drive, shall we say, fassst... my forays with appropriate law enforcement agencies, somewhat, well documented!

Had a wiggle in BeerNazi's old BMW that I purchased from her a couple years ago, with new tires at the time of purchase, sent me to my old racing buddy who has a tire shop in North Portland.. (oddly, his name is Garth... Wayne's world, party on, excellence!) He stopped everything and put the AAFO '03 travelmobile up on the rack and dammy! I had two three year old tires that had seprated thread over about a 1/4 to 1/3 of the tread.. Meaning, tread had separated on the inside of the left front and right rear... down to less than chord on the inside 1/4 of right rear.. The tread had separated from the actual tire and was completely gone due to centrifugal force!

Was going to go to local Les Schawb dealer but, Garth and his race shop are on the way to Wendy's and I love Wendy's Chili!!!!!!!!

Short story, Garth put me on the hoist and, frick! I had two three old tires that looked perfectly good from the ground, showing themselves to be ready to pop!

I'll never admit it in court, but, the land between Klamath Falls, OR and RENO, is pretty damned open air/groundspace.. Meaning, sometimes, I go a little beyond published maximums..

Long story short, the tires we discovered today, would, likely, have ruined my day, somewhere between PDX and RNO...

Amazing to me, how a tire can look so good on the outside, visible tread, and be completely bald on the inside tread!

It's called "Separation"....

I'm thinkin' it damn near killed me and my travel cat!
                    Thanks Wayne
                    It will be nicer to have everything under one year!

Comment

With new tires I can really piss off the eurotrash drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X