Purple Reno T-6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple Reno T-6

Does anybody remember a T-6 that raced at Reno in the late 70' or early 80's that was purple with white stripes? A friend of mine owns it now and is in the middle of an annual. After the removal of the side panels, there are 3 colors there, Navy yellow, Reno purple and the present day blue. The owner is looking for some pictures and info on it. He has seen a picture of it in a book showing it rounding a pylon during a race.

TIA,

Lynn

Re: Purple Reno T-6

Originally posted by Hawker Driver View Post
    Does anybody remember a T-6 that raced at Reno in the late 70' or early 80's that was purple with white stripes? A friend of mine owns it now and is in the middle of an annual. After the removal of the side panels, there are 3 colors there, Navy yellow, Reno purple and the present day blue. The owner is looking for some pictures and info on it. He has seen a picture of it in a book showing it rounding a pylon during a race.

TIA,

Lynn
    Any idea what race numb er it carried?

Comment

No, I don't, sorry. It sounds like it didn't race to many years. I was hoping that the color would stand out enough for someone to remember. Its similar to the purple that Rare Bear had back then...
      Last edited by Hawker Driver; 08-16-2015, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawker Driver View Post
        No, I don't, sorry. It sounds like it didn't race to many years. I was hoping that the color would stand out enough for someone to remember. Its similar to the purple that Rare Bear had back then...
        I am admittedly suffering from brain fade as I get on in years, but....to my recollection there was never a purple T-6 that raced at Reno or Mojave. I remember orange, red, gold, metallic blue, black, various shades of white with colors, and a multitude of faux-military paint schemes between about 1976-84 (including the years that the class didn't race), but purple would have stood out. The closest thing to purple that I remember is Ben Hall's maroon with white stripes T-6 back in the early '70's. Can you find out what the current registration number is and possibly it can be backtracked that way?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
          I am admittedly suffering from brain fade as I get on in years, but....to my recollection there was never a purple T-6 that raced at Reno or Mojave. I remember orange, red, gold, metallic blue, black, various shades of white with colors, and a multitude of faux-military paint schemes between about 1976-84 (including the years that the class didn't race), but purple would have stood out. The closest thing to purple that I remember is Ben Hall's maroon with white stripes T-6 back in the early '70's. Can you find out what the current registration number is and possibly it can be backtracked that way?
          Right now its N-269CB. I'll try to get back over to the hangar and take some pictures of the paint, thank you for your time...

Lynn

Comment

History:
            Built for USAAF as 44-82355, 19??.
            Delivered to U.S. Navy as SNJ-6/Bu. 112269, 19??.
            Columbia Airmotive, Troutdale, OR, 1963-1966.
            - Registered as N7975C.
            George Pulse, Pendleton, OR, 1969-1970.
            A. C. Sears, Aurora, OR, 1972-1977.
            - Registered as N269CB.
            Donald Rogers/SNJ Inc, Anchorage, AK, 1988-1989.
            Robert J. Lessman, Sacramento, CA, 1989-2002.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2812.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	227993Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2813_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	227994

These are on the Mae West up front...