A Mojave scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Mojave scene

Last edited by wingman; 07-21-2015, 09:51 AM.

Re: A Mojave scene

Comment

Once again, thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures with us! Will you me making Reno this year?
      Jarrod

Comment

You're welcome Jarrod -- I've enjoyed it too.

Reno for us is doubtful. I don't even know if I could get a Press Pass. It's been a few years now since I published anything Air Race related, and I don't even know anybody in this new administration who's involved with the press operation. I suppose I should at least put in a application and see what happens...

Neal

Comment

I'll vouch for ya, Neal.....

Comment

Boy, that's all I need...

[/LEFT]
            Last edited by wingman; 07-21-2015, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Tempus Fugit!!! Awesome pics, thanks for posting
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Thanks so much for sharing these pieces of history. Would there by any chance be any photos of Dave Norland's Race #76 "No Name Dame" awaiting the scanner?

T J

Comment

I only have one or two, and I think you've seen them before. I'm not even sure where they are. Nothing interesting, just a side shot from about 1976. That was my first year at the races, so obviously nothing before that.

Neal

Comment

Is there an advantage to racing counterclockwise ala Reno over clockwise as was done at Mojave? Just curious why the left turn at Reno and the right turn at Mojave?
                    "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

I think the right turning course at Mojave was due to the patterns of residential development around the airport. I suspect that most pilots might prefer the Reno style because it would be easier and less tiring to precisely operate a stick pushing to the left rather than pulling to the right.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                        I think the right turning course at Mojave was due to the patterns of residential development around the airport. I suspect that most pilots might prefer the Reno style because it would be easier and less tiring to precisely operate a stick pushing to the left rather than pulling to the right.

Neal
                        The clockwise course at Mojave for the Unlimiteds goes back to the 1970 Mojave 1000. The race was intended to be conducted with pit stops. The problem was with planes landing and taking off while the other racers were still on the course. The prevailing winds at Mojave came down off the Tehachipi's out of the west, so Darryl Greenamyer, Chuck Hall, and the organizers of the event decided that runway 30 would be the best to accommodate all those factors with the big 15 mile course. That way the pitting racers would be landing into the wind and 'with' the flow of the race instead of 'into' them.

That right handed course carried over for the Unlimiteds for the 'shorter' Reno-style 8 mile course that was used '73-'76, and '78-'79. By then, Air Race Management (who ran the Mojave races) kept it for the novelty making it different than Reno.

And it wasn't a matter of pushing or pulling the stick, it was a matter of turning 'into' the torque of the engine, or 'against' it. Easier to turn into the torque....unless you were flying a Centaurus-powered Sea Fury.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                          Boy, that's all I need...

[/LEFT]
                          O.J. Jack Kistler, He was really a gentleman, I enjoyed how much he loved his P-51. From when I was a small kid at Chino hanging out with my dad in the Aerosport hangar. Jack would just be there in the hangar working on his Mustang. Great picture Neal, Thanks for the memories. P.S. I'd put in a good word for you with Reno....... But Brad is probably a better guy for that.
                          Last edited by BellCobraIV; 07-27-2015, 08:59 PM.
                          John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                            P.S. I'd put in a good word for you with Reno....... But Brad is probably a better guy for that.
                            As Z would say.....NICE.

Comment

...at Aerosport 1974 ...Orian Jack Kistler (1914-98) ...TWA 1944-74

...owned N6163U/N51JK 1967-98...

...raced at Reno and Mojave 1979-80...along with son-in-law Dick Doll...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X