Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wingman quiz 2

Brad and Shawn excluded for now...

This should be fairly easy, or maybe not. Name the year, the event, and the players. What are their race numbers (a bit of a trick question, as Brad will attest when we let him in). Bonus question -- What is Big Jim's significance to this particular scene?

Neal

Re: Wingman quiz 2

Just woke up from my Sunday nap, and can't exactly think straight .. But BRILLIANT photo!

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post

This should be fairly easy, or maybe not. Name the year, the event, and the players. What are their race numbers (a bit of a trick question, as Brad will attest when we let him in). Bonus question -- What is Big Jim's significance to this particular scene?

Neal

There are a LOT of things that I like about that photo. Great shot, Neal.

Comment

Well thank you both! I didn't think it was all THAT great. Let's see what answers we get...

Comment

One of the most beautiful Bearcats I've ever seen. I would ask if it's still existent now but that might be too much of a hint to the players in the game
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Neal

I'm aware of Brad's art work on Precious Metal but don't recall the Cobra or Bearcat, must be before 1979?

Comment

Precious Metal (Don Whittington) King Cobra (J.R. Sandberg) and Whittington Bros. Bearcat (Bill Whittington) 1978 Homestead, Florida.

Comment

I always loved this airplane...

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                  Precious Metal (Don Whittington) King Cobra (J.R. Sandberg) and Whittington Bros. Bearcat (Bill Whittington) 1978 Homestead, Florida.
                  J.R. never owned/flew that P-63.

Comment

I always loved this airplane...

This is what happens when you fly a race number with water soluble paint in the rain.

Comment

Cobra- Owners Flaherty/Whittington, race #4, Steve Hinton, '79 Miami

Not sure on the Bear Cat. In truth, I'm not sure about most things.
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Steve Hinton won Miami in the Red Baron -- so if this was taken at Miami Steve could not have been in the Cobra...

Neal

Comment

Comment

That Cobra. Man. Just the absolute worst paintjob--typical of warbirds in the '70's. I've got some pictures somewhere of the brothers painting it in the hangar. It was that awful gloss dark green top and bottom (no light grey undersides), nowhere close to what the Soviets painted theirs like. And the bright garish P-63 logo on the doors with a big "COBRA" painted on the nose....the stars in the wrong places.....

And yet, me being me, I loved every bit of it.

They ended up donating it to the CAF a year or two later and the Rebels flew it in that paint job for another year or two before they gave it a repaint in that actual airframe's 'test' scheme.

Comment

Neal

1979 Miami Air Races, all three owned by the Whittington's, race number's;
                              - 09 Precious Metal
                              - 63 Cobra
                              - 8 Bearcat Bill
                              Last edited by Lon Moer; 07-13-2015, 10:47 AM.
                              remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Working...
                              X