PBY rescue failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBY rescue failure

This one really hurts. Another rare AIRWORTHY aircraft gone at the hands of irresponsibility and ridiculous choices.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: PBY rescue failure

It had been stuck in the surf for several days.

remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      This one really hurts. Another rare AIRWORTHY aircraft gone at the hands of irresponsibility and ridiculous choices.
      http://www.fox10tv.com/story/2947154...lvaging-effort
      Terrible ending. Crazy that it wasn't recovered. Looks like it could have been with due care.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
        Terrible ending. Crazy that it wasn't recovered. Looks like it could have been with due care.
        I think it was that whole "With due care" part that got them. Here is a link to photos showing they ran straps around the fuselage, instead of using the factory lifting points. Sliced the fuselage in two just like a hot knife through butter. One f the photos clearly shows the strap location.

What I don't understand is this: If they pumped the water out well enough to float it to the barge, why didn't they just tow it to a landing or beach area that could be dredged to suit nearby....? Couldn't be too hard to make a dolly for the damaged front gear.

http://imgur.com/a/wsIDs

Comment

It's easy to armchair quarter back, but this whole thing makes me sick. Can't believe they destroyed this airplane. Why didn't they just retract the gear and pull it up on the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
            It's easy to armchair quarter back, but this whole thing makes me sick. Can't believe they destroyed this airplane. Why didn't they just retract the gear and pull it up on the beach.
            PBY's have known nose gear issues. Word is this one may have suffered it after taking on water from the plugs being out. They put the gear down and let the nose settle and spent two days trying to yank it out of the surf with big front end loaders. Instead of digging a trench to shore, floating the front half on rafts, etc. They were pumping water out of it, must have gotten the nose gear sealed because they had it floating by the barge most of a day. Every old photo I have ever seen of a PBY being lifted shows hook in the center of the wing being used. The PBY hangs from the wing, so lifting from there seems logical. They wrapped straps around the fuselage in front and behind the wing. I can't figure out why they didn't just hook a strap to it, tow it to a boat ramp or deserted beach area and get it on land with some sort of dolly arrangement. Didn't seem to be much common sense being used in this operation at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
              It had been stuck in the surf for several days.

I'll take the one 2nd from the right
              "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

I was privileged to fly chase as they departed PLU and headed east. We followed them till about Chinook Pass and then turned around. They sure got that plane cleaned up and pretty! Such a bummer the whole thing ended like it did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc_0478.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	227943Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc_0481.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	227944
                Jeff

Comment

Working...