Pushy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushy

Perhaps the most remarkable example of "thinking outside the box" in modern Air Racing was Jim Miller's development of his pusher tricycle geared airplanes. The first one flew in the mid 1970s, and Miller refined his idea for many years and many races.

In the 1980s another Texan fell in love with these little airplanes and built a modified version for himself -- called it "Pushy Galore".

It first raced, I think, in 1988. By 1997, when these photos were taken, Bruce had watched Nemesis scream by and disappear into the distance enough times that he was coming to Reno mostly to have fun. He had given Pushy a second career setting records, and gotten a major sponsorship for the record setting side.

It is unusual to see air to air photos of Formula I Racers. The tuned to the edge of destruction engines, fixed tail wheels, and canopies that don't open from the inside make them far from a casual flying sport plane. Bruce, however, carried more gas (for his record setting), and had a steerable nosewheel as well as a less finely tuned motor. Bruce was willing to fly anytime. This made for a unique opportunity...

Neal

Re: Pushy

Freaking awesome!!

Thank you for posting.

Elliot

Comment

from 1974 Shawn
      Attached Files

Comment

Great bit of history there, Shawn. What a difference 23 years of development can make...

Last edited by wingman; 06-21-2015, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Thank you for posting these. Every time I look at them something new jumps out at me. A truly fascinating air-to-air subject.
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

A remarkable creation -- modern art.

I just wish in retrospect that I'd been in something that I could have opened a window in. I definitely lost something shooting through a canopy.

Of course I was flying with a legend (Wayne Handley in the original Raven) so that makes up for some of the pain of plexi. What a pro Handley was. Precise, gentle, and smooth as silk.

Comment

Wow Neal, those are great pics
              For me these kind of pics are one of the reasons for me to chech this site as often as possible
              I like especially the formula1 planes, as they show the passion of their builders, pilots and teams. Most of them built from scratch and developed and improved over the years. That´s real enthusiasm.
              Looking forward to follow the weekend in Lleida in the net and being in Reno in September

Thanks Franz

Comment

Awesome photos, Neal. Big thanks!

Also, Shawn, thank you for your photo; I've seen very few shots of that early configuration and that's a really good one.

Comment

So cool!
                  Thanks for posting Neal!

Comment

I'm glad you all have enjoyed them...

Neal

Comment

Oh ya, can't forget this guest shot.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0jXjYyxvDAU