Racer updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racer updates

Check out some updates on Mike Browns' & the Sanders' planes at http://www.septemberpops.com/
    Jason
    Jason Schillereff

There is no Website at that URL

Only a welcome page for a web design outfit at that URL. Is there a website coming soon?

Comment

It was there last week, I wonder were it went?
      Chris...

Comment

Switching Server?

Perhaps they're changing the server or the website...

Comment

Re: There is no Website at that URL

Originally posted by DA BEAR
          Only a welcome page for a web design outfit at that URL. Is there a website coming soon?
          Well dang. Glad I went there and read the article immediately.

Short story, hopefully accurate but no accounting for my memory these days- all planes are home at Eagle's Nest except Argonaut.

Dreadnought's engine is off and being inspected in the hopes that whatever was starting to fail and make metal didn't do any serious damage to the new engine. Some astonished eye-witness commentary was made on the incredible physical size of the R-4360 powerplant as it was being removed :-)

September Fury actually came home first on the same trucking fixture that brought Dreadnought home the next week, no info on the "post mortem" of the engine was on that page. But she is back on her own gear and being worked on. There was a photo of S. Fury, outer wings removed, sitting on the flatbed/fixture at funny angle.

Big Bossman flew home with a ferry engine on the port wing, and two new R-2800s (I forget the "dash" number) with late-model cylinders and single-speed blowers have been ordered. Big Bossman should be the first one back in the air, first flight with the new 2800s is expected after New Year's. All are expected to be at Reno again next year.

Steve L., always a fan of the Ione Furies.

Comment

September Fury

I saw September Fury on the flatbed prior to its leaving Reno. What an eyecatcher that was! The aircraft was angled to reduce the width of the load which was oversized as it was...give more clearance on the left and right sides.

Looked like it was bending a pylon...absolutely beautiful!

The one day I didn't take a picture!

Comment

Argonaught

Is Argo still in Oshkosh, where I last saw it?

Comment

That link works for me..

Are you sure you didn't type in septemberfury.com?

When I heard they had their website under that name but did not have it registered, I grabbed it for them...

Not sure where it would lead you if you did try to get ther via that link...

But.. As soon as I get into my "slow season" (if I ever get there!) I'm going to give it to them so they can have it as well...

If their web host knows how to set things up right, either domain will take you to the same website...

Anyway.. it worked for me as of about 19:00 hrs (Nellis time)

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Photos of September Fury being trucked home are now up on the site! That is AMAZING!

According to the info on the site, Dreadnaut was trucked after September Fury. In one of the photos there's another Sea Fury sitting gear up on the ground without the outer wing panels. It looks like it's in bare aluminum.

Comment

Excellent Website

An excellent informational website. Who's doing their work?

The pictures on the flatbed bring back the memory. It was just after sunset when I saw her at Reno-Stead, and September Fury was just beautiful there in the shade across from the western hangars. Looked like she was still racing.

Comment

Flatbed fixture

To meet up with that rig out on the highway would be an impressive sight. It's a little hard to tell from the photos what mounting points are used to attach September Fury's fuselage to the flatbed. It looks like there's a tripod that holds the crankshaft, but that's all I can make out clearly. Can anybody who's seen it up close give a description?
                      SteveZ

Comment

Originally posted by Reever
                        Photos of September Fury being trucked home are now up on the site! That is AMAZING!
                        www.septemberpops.com
                        Must've been a server glitch. Nothing informational has changed since it was up before.

" The Pratt & Whitney R-4360 is an enormous engine. It remains the largest production reciprocating engine in history"

I read that line (or something similar) in lots of sources, and part of me wants to grab a felt tip and insert the word "aircraft" between the words "reciprocating" and "engine." One look at an EMD 16-V-710 or a GE 7FDL-16 locomotive engine (or better still a Sulzer container ship engine) makes the 4360 look a bit smaller :-) Not "small," by any means, but "smaller"

Interestingly, Dreadnought's R-4360 produces about the same horsepower as a late model 16-V-710 or 7FDL locomotive diesel, for a tiny fraction of the weight.

Steve L.

Comment

F2G

A few months back, I saw the #454 F2G Corsair on a trailer heading north on I-5 in the Sacramento area- that was COOL!!

All the best, RG
                          Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                          RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                            " The Pratt & Whitney R-4360 is an enormous engine. It remains the largest production reciprocating engine in history"

I read that line (or something similar) in lots of sources, and part of me wants to grab a felt tip and insert the word "aircraft" between the words "reciprocating" and "engine." One look at an EMD 16-V-710 or a GE 7FDL-16 locomotive engine (or better still a Sulzer container ship engine) makes the 4360 look a bit smaller :-) Not "small," by any means, but "smaller"
                            Steve L.
                            Forget the Pratt and the locomotive engine, check this out: http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/ The crankshaft weighs 300 tons!

108,920HP from 1,556,002 cubic inches!
                            Jeff Lo
                            Biplane race #13 "Miss Gianna"
                            Biplane race #6 "Miss Dianne"

Comment

Okay...

...you guys in the Air Racer design forum...get to work!

Comment

Working...
                              X