Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Destination

Final Destination:

After setting a new coast-to-coast speed record, the British Airways Concord SST touched down at approximately 2:30pm, Nov. 5th, 2003, at Seattle’s Boeing field as its final destination...ever.

Seattle’s Museum of Flight has the tremendous honor of being one of two US recipients of the last 6 commercially active Concord aircraft. The British Airways donated Concord is also the very same aircraft which made the final commercial supersonic crossing of the Atlantic earlier in the summer. Both British Airways and Air France have retired their fleet of icons which represent one of the most elegant aircraft, inside and out, and the last of the luxury airliners.

The Concord SST was a true engineering accomplishment for its time and served as one of the safest aircraft...until the unfortunate accident resulting from a tire blowout and the shreds of rubber being ingested by the engines. Yet the Concord continued to serve as a symbol of status and providing a sense of awe every time it past overhead. However, the rising costs of operations for fuel hungry, maintenance heavy, and aging airliner forced it to give way to the wide-body flying sardine cans in which creature comforts are sacrificed for the bottom line.

It is a treat to have the retired Concord in the Northwest and join the Museum of Flight. It was also a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for this avian-fanatic to see this beautiful machine fly, as its engines have since been silenced for good....

Kraz

Concorde coast to coast record...

Thanks for all the Concorde information.... what was the record time coast to coast??? How sad it is that it is gone now..
    I was lucky enough to pick up a ticket to fly the Concorde Toronto to London about ten years ago... a few round trip tickets were discounted and split into one way by a Toronto travel bureau.. Cost me about $700.... and had only 10 days notice... that was before all the current "security" and was able to stand right behind the pilot for about 10 minutes at Mach 2.15 and 60,000 feet (1560 miles per hour) Thought I was on my way to heaven!! Howard..

Comment

Concord....

The coast to coast speed record was ( and will allways be) held by a SR-71 at 68 minutes from L.A. to Washington D.C.

The last crash of the Concord was due to the tire shreding puncturing the lower skin, and therefor rupturing the fuel tanks.

The tire material did not enter the engines.

As far as safe, I dont know the actual numbers in death to passenger miles, but I have read a few articles that describe several near disasters. The plane was very lucky over its lifetime.
      Several incindents could have had tragic outcomes.

That said, the Concord was a fantastic aircraft. Sad to see her parked. Many improvements were made during the time they were parked to address safety and comfort issues.

For a great Powerpoint presentation you can follow this link....

Comment

Good to see you're still alive, kicking and still interested in things that fly good buddy!

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Seattle Concorde

Thanks for the report, Kraz; great shots. Concorde is one beautiful bird and I regret never having had the opportunity to fly on one.

You might consider posting some of these photos in the Concorde archive at www.airliners.net, too.

BTW, based on other reports of yesterday's events at BFI it seems that Concorde did not go quietly into the great good night:

SteveZ

Comment

Great shots, Kraz. Got to see it when it flew into Reno a few years ago, But didn't get to see it from the inside. sure did miss you at the races.... Vegas maybe???????????????????????
            MG
            MG

Comment

Great stuff Kraz. I'll miss her. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Pearce
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Working...
              X