Bolinas High Power.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolinas High Power.

I went looking for cool bit of coastline a couple weekends ago. I tried going through Stinson Beach, but the place was a parking lot. I backtracked up and over Mt Tam and dropped back down to Highway 1 near the road out ot Bolinas. Since I had never been out there, I figured, what the heck. I ended up finding a place known as "Bolinas High Power." It turns out that there was a really cool Marconi radio station that was originally powered using Tesla coils. RCA later built a radio station that still exists and operates one day a year.

Here is the building that formerly housed the powerstation for the Marconi radio station.

I found a really cool beach there as well.

It was getting late, and I kinda wanted to head home since I didn't exactly know how to get home.

I found this guy hanging out.

It was a pretty fantastic sunset.

Will

Re: Bolinas High Power.

ALL very nice work but that last one, breathtaking!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

PS... what lens, filter, camera, etc... I LOVE the look of those shots!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

My camera is a Nikon D7000, and I was using either the cheap 18-55VR or the better 70-300VR2 lens. For filters I used every one I had for the 18-55 that day. CPL, ND, Infrared, a green, heck I even broke out the sparkle filter at one point. The powerhouse shot I had the IR filter on. For a few of the others I had an ND stacked with the CPL to be able to slow the shutter speed down enough to capture the wave splashes.

The last two shots were taken after I had put the camera away. I had to climb up a cliff to get back to the car. In doing so, I managed to break the leg off my tripod, so it was then worthless. I did have my monopod with me. As I headed back to the car (a mile plus, with no lights.) I saw the sunset doing what it did so I had to stop and pull the camera back out and try to capture it. Knowing that I had to get the shutter speed pretty slow, and I only had the monopod to work with I rolled the dice. F8, 1/25 sec, ISO 125.

I'm not very talented in Lightroom so I try and get the shot right on the camera. I did use the graduated ND feature (I wish I had a real GND filter set) in LR for some of these shots to try and balance the exposure out, but beyond that, there is very little post processing. All of these are single images, nothing stacked (I don't know how.)

Here is the full album from the day. https://www.flickr.com/photos/473099...7650871482922/

It was an amazingly clear and still day. I shot this from the top of Mt Tam. The Farallon Islands, about 20 miles away.

Again at sunset from the beach.

Will

Comment

Working...
        X