A question for experts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for experts....

Many of you who post on this board seem to have a good historical knowledge of air racing.

Here's a historical question simply for fun.

Among the current Unlimited pilots (he competed in 2003) which man was the first to go air racing??

The answer may surprise you. Then again, it may not. I'll wait a few days to post the name of that gentleman. Let's see how many correct answers we can get.

Fire away.....

Are we talking Reno only?

Without resorting to looking it up in the RARA database my guess would be Dan Martin.

Comment

Off the top of my head

No, Martin started racing at Mojave '78 if memory serves.

Of active pilots who actually 'raced' this year at Reno, I'd say it is Jimmy Leeward, who showed up with Miss Florida (now Cloud Dancer) at Mojave in 1975.

Tom Camp was at a Demo race at Lincoln, CA in 1976 in his P-40.

Skip started at Reno '81.

Howard was at Miami '79.

I think Frank Sanders let Brian and Dennis first race in '84 or so.

Those are the only 'old guard' racers I can think of.

Is there a wildcard? What year did Gary Hubler first start racing F-1? I don't think it was until the early '80's.

I dunno. Gotta go with Leeward, I guess.

Speeddemon

Comment

A consensus seems to be forming here...

Let's see if we can have some more responses to the question before I post the answer

Comment

And one more complimentary question for grins..

Among all of the Unlimited pilots walking the ramp this year - both active/not-active and retired - who was the first to go air racing?

Again, this answer may surprise you.

Comment

Hummn...

Well, anyone who knows me could tell you right away that I'm not a great historian but... that said...

I'd have to agree that Greenamyer.. ahh... but then if Clay Lacy was there this year<?> would there be be a tie for the first Unlimited pilot, active or retired, walking the ramp this year..

As for the question on who would have been the youngest.. if we're talking unlimited, would that be Jimmy Leeward's son Dirk?

Nice thread.. keep this sort of thing coming, it makes everyone start digging, in either our memories or in books, and we learn from that process!

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

You definitely have your thinking caps on gentlemen.

Let me clarify the specifics of the questions for you..

The first - Who among the currently active Unlimited pilots was the first to go air racing? This simply applies to those who actually particpated at Reno this year.

The second - Who among those Unlimited pilots (active and retired) present at Reno this past September was the first to go air racing?

Granted, we cannot all know who exactly was strolling the pits this year but the question applies solely to Unlimited pilots who have participated in the modern era of air racing (1964-2003).

Hint: You don't have to look further than the well known cast of pilots (old and current) we're all familiar with...

Keep thinking...

Comment

1. This would have to be Sherman Cooper who piloted a Sea Fury called "Miss Merced" in 1970 at Reno. He also won the September 19, 1970 Reno Silver Consolation race with an average speed of 361.801 mph.

2.The longest living racing pilots on the ramp at Reno this year has to be Darryl Greenamyer or Clay Lacy.

As I remember Darryl Greenamyer piloted a F8F-2 and was disqualified from Sunday September 20, 1964 Championship race for not landing at the race site and Clay Lacy finished third in his #64, P-51D Mustang called "Bonzai".

Comment

Jimmy Leeward's first race at Reno was in 1975. He won the September 12, 1975 Reno Medallion Race in his P-51 Mustang then called "Miss Florida with an average speed of 362.466 mph.

Comment

'64

Is Mira Slovak still wandering around?

Greenamyer, Lacy, Slovak, and a hung-over navy lieutenant were all at the '64 debut

Comment

How about?

Is Walt Ohlrich still on on the contest commitee?

Comment

THIS IS GREAT!!!!

Unregistered: Don't tell yet.. I love the suspense!!!

let it build.. this is fun!!

Wayne
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Ray Cote - raced Formula One since 1966 - raced Dago Red in the 80's.

Comment

Ray Cote raced Dago in the 80's???????? He may have just been listed as a backup pilot.

Slovak was supposed to be at Reno this year, but he called in sick.

Comment

The plot thickens.....

My congratulations gentlemen. You're all doing some fine brain work here.

I won't say whether there have been any correct responses to questions One and Two yet.... Rather, I'll add to the nutiness with one more related question, again simply for the fun of it.

Question #3

Who among the race pilots *in all classes* present at Reno in 2003 was the first to go air racing?

Cogitate, cogitate, cogitate....

Comment

Working...
                              X