Last of the civilian Bearcats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last of the civilian Bearcats

The long elusive Coutches Bearcat is up for sale. I've always preferred civilian paint jobs over "military" colors and the Coutches Bearcat has always been a favorite of mine.
    I talked with Stephen Coutches at the Nut Tree Mustang Day about it and 'begged' him not to re-paint it, and he said; "its not mine, my father gave the Bearcat to my brother. It will never fly again, so I don't think he would bother painting it". He then seemed to be annoyed with me, so I didn't press the issue of why "it will never fly again".

Any ways I see now they have it listed on their ad in the Feb InFlight paper.
    If I had only won the Powerball this month, I would have saved it Now it will get ruined into another Fauxbird.

I couldn't find anything on the web, so I scanned the ad.
    They are also listing their P-51D with the tall tail.
    Attached Files
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Re: Last of the civilian Bearcats

Thank you for posting these interesting news! What is the roundabout price of this Bearcat?

Does anybody know current status of (their?) P-51 H (N-551H)?

thx
    Gibbs
    Last edited by Gibbs; 02-24-2015, 05:55 AM.

Comment

I didn't even know they had a Bearcat.....I believe they fly the H on a somewhat regular basis.

Comment

I really love the way the wing tips are painted to look elliptical.

remember the Oogahonk!

Comment

Ion, your scan didn't show any contact info. and I couldn't find the paper online, or any other ad for the Bearcat. Any chance you could provide a phone number or something? Thanks. (and I will keep the paint scheme)!

Comment

Originally posted by 39SF View Post
            Ion, your scan didn't show any contact info. and I couldn't find the paper online, or any other ad for the Bearcat. Any chance you could provide a phone number or something? Thanks. (and I will keep the paint scheme)!

remember the Oogahonk!

Comment

I'm not partial to yellow, but that sure would look good rounding the pylons.

Comment

Here is a thread over on WIX that shows the H...you are right Mike...I didn't confirm it had sold...my fault

Jim

Last edited by Harley909; 02-26-2015, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Harley909 View Post
                  Here is a thread over on WIX that shows the H...it has been sold.

jim

http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...hp?f=3&t=14918
                  It has?! It's sitting in the hangar I lease from them and the plan is to get it flying. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Harley909 View Post
                    Here is a thread over on WIX that shows the H...it has been sold.

jim

http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...hp?f=3&t=14918
                    That one is the mythical H-in-a-box that has been in the rumor circuit since the '70s (when I first heard it).

Stephen Coutches still regularly flies their long owned H, 44-64314/N551H, to shows all around the Bay Area.
                    remember the Oogahonk!

Comment

I remember hearing stories back in the 60's about a hangar full of WWII airplanes that Red Jensen in Sacramento and Mike Coutch had out in Tonopah. Supposedly some were almost new. Some in crates, some flyable. I know it's partly true because a Wildcat I knew of came from there, it had less the 100hours on it, original blue paint on her. She lived at Stockton Airport for awhile back in the late 70's. It was eventually traded to the Navy Museum where she still sits on display. Does anyone else remember hearing about this Tonopah hangar ??
                      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                        I remember hearing stories back in the 60's about a hangar full of WWII airplanes that Red Jensen in Sacramento and Mike Coutch had out in Tonopah. Supposedly some were almost new. Some in crates, some flyable. I know it's partly true because a Wildcat I knew of came from there, it had less the 100hours on it, original blue paint on her. She lived at Stockton Airport for awhile back in the late 70's. It was eventually traded to the Navy Museum where she still sits on display. Does anyone else remember hearing about this Tonopah hangar ??
                        Brian
                        Yes, Red Jensen had a "Tonopah hanger". I don't know about Mike Coutches involvement.
                        I was at the Red Jensen auction after his death and there were piles of parts/stuff/junk that reportedly had come from Tonopah, There was also a lot of stuff that got "lost".
                        remember the Oogahonk!

Comment

Originally posted by lon moer View Post
                          There was also a lot of stuff that got "lost".
                          Funny thing how that works. Similar to when Rogers Stolzer purchased Furias from the Hamilton estate... lots of stuff that was there, wasn't there later...
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

New thread on WIX with more detailed pictures.
                            remember the Oogahonk!

Comment

Don't count on it being sold any time in the future. Robert says it will remain in the family.

Comment

Working...
                              X