X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A10 Warthog Racer

So if the A10 is put out to pasture.

1 - Would it make a good racer?

2 - Would it fit in the jet class, or need a separate class?

3 - How long before they would make it into the civilian fleet?

I would suspect they would be very popular with the fans :-)

Last edited by Desertdawg; 01-22-2015, 07:20 AM.

Re: A10 Warthog Racer

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
    So if the A10 is put out to pasture.

1 - Would it make a good racer?

2 - Would it fit in the jet class, or need a separate class?

3 - How long before they would make it into the civilian fleet?

I would suspect they would be very popular with the fans :-)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/21...cmp=latestnews

Under the D.O.D policies currently in place, the A-10 (or any other modern military jet) will never make into civilian hands. Period.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Good to know.

Blew my dreams, such a bad ass plane.

I do hope though that it stays active.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
        Under the D.O.D policies currently in place, the A-10 (or any other modern military jet) will never make into civilian hands. Period.
        Was there a certain time considered "modern"? Because that guy that owns the 2 Sea Harriers privately owns them. Is that not modern enough? And IIRC you're not allowed to fly planes like the A-7 Corsair, Intruder, etc., privately..?
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
          Was there a certain time considered "modern"? Because that guy that owns the 2 Sea Harriers privately owns them. Is that not modern enough? And IIRC you're not allowed to fly planes like the A-7 Corsair, Intruder, etc., privately..?
          The Harriers came out of the UK. The F4 that Collings owns and flies quite literately took an act of Congress for them to get approval. Anything newer than that is completely out of the question. There was someone, may have been Collings, that was looking at an F-105 that could have possibly been made a flier. The US government immediately made sure that would not happen and had any others left in AMARC de-milled to the point they could never be flown.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
            The Harriers came out of the UK. The F4 that Collings owns and flies quite literately took an act of Congress for them to get approval. Anything newer than that is completely out of the question. There was someone, may have been Collings, that was looking at an F-105 that could have possibly been made a flier. The US government immediately made sure that would not happen and had any others left in AMARC de-milled to the point they could never be flown.
            Thanks for that, very helpful. So onto the F-105, does that mean that NONE of them will ever fly again?? Or does that mean in the near future there is now way legally that a F-105 will be flying. Or are they all just too ruined even if permission was granted? Hope not
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

The foolish, shortsighted and paranoid American gov't had a knee jerk reaction from the jerks in congress to outlaw and demill these historic aircraft in the USA. There are plenty of other 105's worldwide that could be flown, just not in Amerika.
              '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

I have seen an F-105 on display at Reno. Don't remember what year. Did it fly there or is it not flying and stashed in a hangar at Stead?

Comment

Originally posted by Plane Nuts View Post
                  I have seen an F-105 on display at Reno. Don't remember what year. Did it fly there or is it not flying and stashed in a hangar at Stead?
                  If I remember right Skip Holm flew it there and then the feds decided they didn't like that anymore.

Comment

So when Darryl Greenamyer set the low altitude speed record in the F-104, was that privately owned? Or was that effort sanctioned by the military and Lockheed? Was always curious about that.
                    "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Originally posted by boomtown View Post
                      So when Darryl Greenamyer set the low altitude speed record in the F-104, was that privately owned? Or was that effort sanctioned by the military and Lockheed? Was always curious about that.
                      Privately owned. He built it up from parts that came from several different airframes over a ten year span.

Comment

My understanding is they are at or close to fatigue life.
                        Otherwise, I've always thought they would make the ultimate fire tanker.
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

The 105 belonged to Al Redick (Aviation Classics L.T.D.) it was helicoptered from Herlong by the guard. It was without engine and avionics. Was to be used as target practice before Al saved it. Don't know what happened to it after Al passed away. I do know that it had quite a history from Vietnam and was reunited with its pilot at the air races.

Comment

Then what's the deal with the starfighters? How did they their F-104's?
                            Last edited by deepsky; 01-24-2015, 12:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
                            Tony

Comment

I just had a great idea for some Reno Air Race aviation art

Drawings of air race scenes with some classic fantasy match-ups. Home pylon in background, valley of speed, etc

A7 in Dago theme vs F4 in Rare Bear colors

or

A10s in older themes like Bardol Special and Red Baron colors

or

F105s in Precious Metal, Miss America

or

F15 vs F14 ????

Comment

Working...
                              X