Steven Hinton, a class act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steven Hinton, a class act

I just had an amazing experience Wednesday, and thought I'd share it with the group. Enjoy… [I apologize in advance for the long build-up to the end]

My 8-year old son races Quarter Midget race cars in Nashville, TN, and for this coming 2015 race season we decided to buy him a new car (last year's car was quite old). Since he's been attending the air races at Reno since he was still in the womb, he decided that he wanted to have his car look like one of the Unlimiteds. He chose Voodoo and while at the races this past September, we chatted with one of the Voodoo crew members about our plans, and if there was any problem with us doing it. I can't remember the fella's name [older gentleman], but he said in a rather stern & serious tone, "The only thing we ask…..is that you put a picture of it up on our Facebook site." DEAL!

Anyway, we just got the car finished a couple of weeks ago in the Voodoo scheme and fast-forward to Tuesday, my buddy texted me to see if I would be at my hangar the following day (Wednesday). I said that I most likely would. He told me that he had somebody coming over to the hangar next door that I might want to say "Hey" to…but he wouldn't say who it was. The following morning he called me and told me that Steven Hinton was in town, but to not let the cat out of the bag, and that I might want to have him take a look at my son's Quarter Midget race car. Hell yes, I would like to have him look at the car! He was to arrive around 4:00pm, so I ran back to Nashville (almost an hour away) and got him out of school a bit early to drive back to our hangar to hopefully meet Hinton.

Sure enough, he came in and was really surprised with the car! He actually asked me if it was ok for him to take a picture of it! Um…yeah…you go right ahead. Anyway, he was so kind with Bradley, he stood with him and watched one of his QM races on the iPhone and talked racing with him. Afterwards, he looked over the car, told us about Bob Button's dragsters that are similarly-painted. Hoping this would work out, I had already gotten a silver Sharpie in hopes that he would be willing to sign the car. He was most gracious and did just that. Then he took pics with all of us and told Bradley to look him up this next September so that he could let him know how his QM racing season was going. He also said that he would get him up in the cockpit of Voodoo.

If you read this, thank you, for making a young man's day!

Sam Swift

Last edited by flyboycpa; 01-10-2015, 02:12 PM.
    Biplane Race #3

Re: Steven Hinton, a class act

Sam,

I'm glad you told the story here, thank you.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Steven Hinton is a class act and he's a real credit to his parents and air racing.

Blue skies, mi amigo,
    Chris

Comment

wow, it got kinda dusty around my computer desk reading this.

very very cool.
      remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Steven really is one of the most gracious people I've ever met! I'm not afraid to admit that doing the interviews for LiveAirShowTV this year, especially at first, I was nervous. Waiting to go on air with Steven with my early week interview with him.. he pointed to something on my chest.. I looked down and he got me.. tweeked my nose.. you know the move... talk about an ICE BREAKER!

He is really a special special person!

I'll say thanks too for sharing here! Cool stuff!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Steve, Steven and John are all really good people. A credit to the racing and warbird movements.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
            he pointed to something on my chest.. I looked down and he got me.. tweeked my nose.. you know the move...
            He does that to me all the time. Damn kids!

Comment

Working...
            X