"Bent-Wing" Bird From Sun 'n Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Bent-Wing" Bird From Sun 'n Fun

Well we're (finally) beginning to sort through all the "stuff" from Sun 'n Fun and I'm almost over my jet lag (hey.. I'm an old guy, we take longer to recover )

More photos at http://www.aafo.com/gallery/week1.htm

To make up for not being even close to on time for the POTW lately, we put up a batch of shots of Capt. Dale "Snort" Snodgrass flying the Corsair at Sun 'n Fun. I just read somewhere that he is known for being one of the best "photo pass" pilots out there.. now I know why a lot of my shots of him in both the Corsair and the F-86 turned out good..

And if you've never seen him fly... man... there are outstanding pilots in this world and "Snort" is certainly one of them! If any of you have seen that outragous F-14 shot where it looks like the guy is losing it big time, shot from a carrier deck.. (really close) that's "Snort" and there was no problem, that was just his usual at sea demo flight!

Enjoy!
    Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Fantastic stuff! I forget how many hours I spent as a kid dreaming I could fly that aircraft! Thanks, and keep up the good work.

Comment

Wow!!!! Now that is a picture!!!
      the other Wayne................

Comment

Thanks guys! I am searching back in my memory and I think this was actually the first time I actually saw a demo with a Corsair and it was a good one!

Beautiful airplane and "Snort" does things that you'd never expect, like fliping the legs down during a slow roll.

We've got a lot more stuff from Sun 'n Fun, in fact, we've got a lot more stuff from just about everwhere we've been over the last year! We'll keep doing our best to get more up and we've got more good stuff coming up as well. We'll talk about it when it happens and put up the shots.

Both Dominique and Olivier are doing some shows over in Europe and we've got some good stuff planned here. We'll see if we can fill those disks up on the server!

Thanks again! It means a lot to hear that you enjoy the shots...

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm gonna steer some warbird modelers here......they will be impressed!!
          the other Wayne................

Comment

Originally posted by GWB
            I'm gonna steer some warbird modelers here......they will be impressed!!
            Why Thanky GWB! We can use all the visitors we can get.

In reality, whenever I get a good shot, I too am impressed! I never know what I'm gonna get, of course, until after we get home and I can look at them on my (spendy) graphic monitor. The laptop we take along never renders colors quite right (why most of the stuff we send up when we're on the road is slightly off color)... I will append about 70% equippment and 20% luck to getting good shots. Two years ago, I took the plunge and invested a large sum of money in a really nice camera and lens combo, that it does not cost me an arm and a leg in film costs now is a big plus.

I'm totally sold on the modern digital camera over film. I have produced prints that were poster size that carried details that amazed even the printer. Digital cameras see things similar to the way our eyes see, that being electrical responses to varying lightwaves. Film it a chemical process of reaction to those same light waves. In my eye, when everything comes together and works, it looks almost too real to believe. Like a couple of Bear's static shots in the Bent-Wing piece.. it's just as clear as if you were standing there looking at it.

I hope to continue to be able to get the opportunity to be where I need to be to get good shots, that's another piece of the cake.. ya gotta be there to get the shots. Sometimes we're allowed to get pretty close to the action and that helps a lot.

I will never learn all there is to know about SLR cameras. With digital, you even have more to think about than with film, ie white balance, which is a video problem right?

If everything is right, good sun, correct white balance, good exposure settings.. it's happy time!

Sorry to anyone who thinks I'm blowing my horn on these photos, I've always been sort of the "red headed step child" among all of the far more experienced photographers I work with here.. when it works for me. It takes me a while to stop looking at the shots or promoting them

Usually, for the most part, I keep my stuff sort of buried and don't publish a lot of it. Not that it's not good enough it's more that I have no time to get it out and still get everyone else who works so hard here their time in the sun.. I'm gonna try to find more time to both take the shots and get em published.

Thanks again for the compliments! Again, it really does mean an awful lot to me to hear it!!

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
            X