SpaceShip2 Crash 1 Fatality 1 Survivor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceShip2 Crash 1 Fatality 1 Survivor

Something went wrong during test flight today. Airframe destroyed.

Re: SpaceShip2 Crash 1 Fatality 1 Survivor

Does anyone know what website this topic is being discussed in detail? I'd like to hear how the survivor got out of it. What kind of condition is he in?

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
      Does anyone know what website this topic is being discussed in detail? I'd like to hear how the survivor got out of it. What kind of condition is he in?
      I was thinking the same thing! Would like to know as well.
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

spaceref.com, space.com and spacenews.com are all covering it, but the best I've seen is the BBC.

US investigators begin an inquiry into why a Virgin Galactic space rocket crashed on a test flight, killing a pilot.

Comment

So did the engine explode causing the aircraft to breakup or did the aircraft breakup causing the explosion? I figured it was the first, until on the news this morning, an official stated an air frame breakup..........might have just been generally speaking. To early for anything definite. One thing for sure, they'll have lots of data in the way of telemetry and video to help out the investigation.
          Any updates on the pilot? All they say is severe injuries, and nothing else. My thoughts are with him and his family as well as the deceased's family.
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
            So did the engine explode causing the aircraft to breakup or did the aircraft breakup causing the explosion? I figured it was the first, until on the news this morning, an official stated an air frame breakup..........might have just been generally speaking. To early for anything definite. One thing for sure, they'll have lots of data in the way of telemetry and video to help out the investigation.
            Any updates on the pilot? All they say is severe injuries, and nothing else. My thoughts are with him and his family as well as the deceased's family.
            Brian
            The root cause is unknown at this point. It is also not known if the pilot who survived was able to jump out on his own, or if he was thrown out during the break up. Contrary to numerous media reports, Spaceship 2 was not equipped with ejection seats.

Comment

I think the best info was here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Virgin_Galactic_crash

I assume Seibold was the survivor.
              http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                Brian
                Late last night BBC showed a series of photos that seemingly showed the airframe coming apart before the explosion. One photo shows a rudder off to the left of the main airframe and behind it on the flight path. Given the exhaust plume, they seemed to be in sequence. I am interested to know what actually happened....

Comment

NTSB just reported that a cockpit camera and telemetry data showed the co-pilot unlocked the feathering system prematurely, but did not move the feathering handle. Shortly after the booms moved toward the feathered position (I would assume due to aerodynamic pressure) and the aircraft began to break up. Telemetry showed the motor was running normally until break up started. The break up occurred just past mach 1.

Comment

I was watching the live coverage on CNN and they kept interviewing some crazy lady who was "closely related" to the program. I call B.S. on that.. But anyway, she through Scaled and Virgin Galactic under the buss immediately, continually making claims that the engine failed and it would never get them to space anyway, etc etc.. I really couldn't believe what I was hearing. She was nuts.

Now, to learn that initial reports describe a problem not related to the engine, I hope somebody brings up how wrong she was. It is a good lesson in assumptions, they make an ASS out of U and ME.
                    Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	204c9504-29ac-459c-a51f-5be6142adef0-460x276.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	227845

Hey Guys,

Please take a moment to donate for Mike's wife and two kids.

http://www.gofundme.com/MikeAlsbury

The flight test community lost a badass on Friday, and I feel incredibly fortunate to have known him.

Elliot and Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
                        I was watching the live coverage on CNN and they kept interviewing some crazy lady who was "closely related" to the program. I call B.S. on that.. But anyway, she through Scaled and Virgin Galactic under the buss immediately, continually making claims that the engine failed and it would never get them to space anyway, etc etc.. I really couldn't believe what I was hearing. She was nuts.

Now, to learn that initial reports describe a problem not related to the engine, I hope somebody brings up how wrong she was. It is a good lesson in assumptions, they make an ASS out of U and ME.
                        Right after RENO this year, I was contacted by Nevada Public Radio (NPR). The producer wanted contact info for a certain person with the initials M.S.D. who's name we no longer mention here.. to comment on "air race safety"... This person did not know just who to talk to and did some research (googled) air race and safety and came up with the name..

Fortunately, I set him straight in that, the person he sought had NOTHING to do with air race safety and everything to do with being completely off his rocker.. I got him in contact with Steve Hinton (the younger) and that was his interview...

I think it's that the networks have no idea who to talk to so they talk with anyone who says they are relevant.... Not defending major news networks mind you!!!!!
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                          Right after RENO this year, I was contacted by Nevada Public Radio (NPR). The producer wanted contact info for a certain person with the initials M.S.D. who's name we no longer mention here.. to comment on "air race safety"... This person did not know just who to talk to and did some research (googled) air race and safety and came up with the name..

Fortunately, I set him straight in that, the person he sought had NOTHING to do with air race safety and everything to do with being completely off his rocker.. I got him in contact with Steve Hinton (the younger) and that was his interview...

I think it's that the networks have no idea who to talk to so they talk with anyone who says they are relevant.... Not defending major news networks mind you!!!!!
                          The same NPR that wasted an interview with Stevo by continually brining up the danger factor and Jimmy's accident.....
                          Last edited by Race5; 11-04-2014, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                            The same NPR that waisted an interview with Stevo by continually brining up the danger factor and Jimmy's accident.....
                            That's the one! They did have an "agenda" and were quite forthcoming about it.. the Red Bull "air races" were coming to Vegas and they wanted a relevant piece.. So, it was known going in, what the subject was going to be. I think me getting Stevo in the mix was a very good thing! He knew going in what the topic was and brought a sense of reality to it.

They are planning an interview with dad and son later in the year.. I believe this November.... I'll try to find the date and post it.
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'm confused, which is nothing new. I've been reading the reports about the accident. my understanding is, they were at Mach 1.2 when the feathering device was unlocked, not activated. However for some unknown reason the aft portion of the aircraft started to move into the feather positioning, evidently leading to the structural failure. I've read that at Mach 1.4 this was suppose to be done as part of the flight test. So my question is.......if it did happen at Mach 1.2 by accident, and was suppose to be done at mach 1.4 where I assume greater forces would be encounter..........why did it fail at Mach 1.2?
                              Also, I thought the feather device was suppose to be deployed in space with minimal aerodynamic loads would be encounter due to lack of atmosphere. I've never figured out how the feathering system effects the reentry and what position the aircraft is in. I know if it doesn't work, the aircraft will burn up. I'm glad to hear the surviving pilot is out of the hospital and doing better.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X