If Rare Bear can do 528...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Rare Bear can do 528...

So if Rare Bear could do 528 almost 25 years ago, what could Strega, the Bear or Voodoo do today? I know beating that record is hard, but if there was an attempt, what might the speed be? And what makes beating the record so hard? I have heard scheduling alone is very tough.

Re: If Rare Bear can do 528...

528 was done with nitrous.
    In May of 2012 I was witness to 566 with no nitrous during test flights prior to a 3km attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
      528 was done with nitrous.
      For part of the run...

Jarrod

Comment

Maybe we'll find out......

Comment

I remember reading an article written by Steve Jr, where he said they had a GPS top speed reading of 540 in 2009.
          Not sure what the actual speed would be in that case? But I'd think Strega could do at least 528, the question I've heard before is whether a Super-Stang carries enough fluids for the whole attempt or not...

The current Voodoo crew has dropped hints several times during the last two years about attempting it. -I'd love to see them go for it. I'm sure the expense has a lot to do with not attempting it, but with the ability to crowd-source funds these days they would easily be able to raise a good chunk of money for an attempt. I'd donate to that cause (and I'm sure I'm not the only one).

Comment

if a griffon powered mustang has enough fluids to make the run, why wouldnt strega or voodoo?
            Todd Smith

Comment

Originally posted by thunderstangfan View Post
              if a griffon powered mustang has enough fluids to make the run, why wouldnt strega or voodoo?
              The inverse cube root of the fuel consumption coefficient could potentially offset the trigonometric aqueous cooling efficiency of the modulation spectrometer..............

In other words a damn good question...............?

Comment

The inverse cube root of the fuel consumption coefficient could potentially offset the trigonometric aqueous cooling efficiency of the modulation spectrometer..............

In other words a damn good question...............?
                If I understood that correctly, the question is how much does fluid consumption increase between 499 (Baron's Record) and 528?

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
                  If I understood that correctly, the question is how much does fluid consumption increase between 499 (Baron's Record) and 528?
                  Nope, it has more to do with pounds of air for both cooling and fuel burn, You must also validate the heat transfer capabilities of the various metallurgy involved.

Comment

Nope, it has more to do with pounds of air for both cooling and fuel burn, You must also validate the heat transfer capabilities of the various metallurgy involved.
                    Ah okay, thanks for the clarification!

Comment

without knowing the specific fluid consumption of either aircraft, it's all speculation.
                      if they have enough fluids for a full power 8 lap race then they can get 4 passes for a record attempt. but that's just a WAG on my part
                      Todd Smith

Comment

Originally posted by thunderstangfan View Post
                        without knowing the specific fluid consumption of either aircraft, it's all speculation.
                        if they have enough fluids for a full power 8 lap race then they can get 4 passes for a record attempt. but that's just a WAG on my part
                        It actually requires more fuel and ADI/Water. The turnaround to get lined up is rather large, I know when we were planning it for the Bear it was about 15-20% more consumables.

Comment

Hey Guys,

I know it's a significantly slower record and therefore very different, but. The report for Lee Behel's record attempt at the Mojave Flyin back in April includes take off and landing times as well as time the airplane first entered the course and last exited the course. 44 minute flight with 11 minutes spent on the 3km course. Summarized below.

Note: Lee set the 3km and 15 km records in the same flight.

Lee's preparedness and discipline flying that course was a significant thing to observe and I feel fortunate to have witnessed it. Tailwinds to an incredible aviator and a fantastic man.

Elliot Seguin
                          Wasabi Air Racing

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lees 3km.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	227830

Click image for larger version

Name:	10012887_10200937271793149_663313018301667931_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	227831