A question about Furias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about Furias

A recurrent theme here has been that maybe Furias could have been the longed for Mustang beater. I would like to hear why AAFOers feel this. Why would Furias have been faster than 232 with a really good 3350. There were no great advances airframe-wise that I know of -- built up by the same people, pretty much. Do you think the 4360 can produce a lot more horsepower than a built 3350?

Furias had a great paint scheme and a big motor -- did it have anything else to justify all the big hopes and hype??

Neal

Re: A question about Furias

4360 is less power and more weight than a Cornell 3350. Plus the extra fuel, ADI and Boiloff or Spraybar. All in a much bigger airframe, Don't know on the efficiency of the wing though.
    My guess would be mid to high 480's
    Beautiful Plane and my hat is still off to the work Dave F. did on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
      4360 is less power and more weight than a Cornell 3350. Plus the extra fuel, ADI and Boiloff or Spraybar. All in a much bigger airframe, Don't know on the efficiency of the wing though.
      My guess would be mid to high 480's
      Beautiful Plane and my hat is still off to the work Dave F. did on it.
      If the 4360 is less power and more weight, do you know why they decided to go with the 4360 rather than the 3350?

Comment

Availability
        And coolness

Comment

And reliability. But I agree... it wouldn't have been any faster than 232 on its best day
          Last edited by RichH; 09-22-2014, 02:09 PM.

Comment

This is a thread that I hope Matt Jackson will respond to.

Comment

I believe Matt will respond.

He has flown a bunch of fast birds fellas...Strega, Voodoo, Rare Bear, Stiletto...

Furias and Strega, he says, were the two fastest.

Cornell 3350 be danged...

Furias is faster than September Fury....and now the Bear, for that matter.

Please Matt, tell the folks!!

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post

Cornell 3350 be danged...

- Joseph
                Got something against his 3350's?

Comment

Something to consider in this discussion: When I crewed on 232 (2005-2008), we never ran more than 3600HP. The airplane ran 480 laps on ~3400-3500HP in 2006. This is running the motor above its designed output. A stock 4360 could run 3500HP all day without being run beyond its design.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
                    Something to consider in this discussion: When I crewed on 232 (2005-2008), we never ran more than 3600HP. The airplane ran 480 laps on ~3400-3500HP in 2006. This is running the motor above its designed output. A stock 4360 could run 3500HP all day without being run beyond its design.

Michael
                    For comparison:
                    Bear ran 491 in 2012 on 3360HP
                    Says something about the drag difference.

Comment

I remember Matt saying that in a straight line Furias was the fastest propeller driven thing he ever flew hands down. On the the course was a different story.

Comment

Michael

My point exactly..

In regards to 'drag difference',
                        What's the weight difference between a race-loaded 232, and 77 ?

The difference between 480 and 490 is nothing... The pilots line can make a 20mph lap difference... So can Weather.

- Joseph

Comment

Something to consider in this discussion: When I crewed on 232 (2005-2008), we never ran more than 3600HP.This is running the motor above its designed output. Michael
                          Stock TC engines are rated up to 3,700HP with water injection, so... not really

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
                            Stock TC engines are rated up to 3,700HP with water injection, so... not really
                            No one runs a turbo compound 3350 right now. I'm comparing what is on the course and available.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
                              If the 4360 is less power and more weight, do you know why they decided to go with the 4360 rather than the 3350?
                              Just guessing here:

The weight difference between a 4360 and 3350 is somewhere in the vicinity of 700 to 1000 lb. I couldn't quickly find published weights of the exact versions used in racers, but a 3350 -26W published weight is around 2700 pounds, and a 4360 is "between 3400 and 3800 pounds." That's a pretty big weight difference- nearly 50%- but when you cast it as a percentage of the total weight of a Sea Fury its somewhere around 10% of the total. And given that the Sea Fury has one of the most efficient wings of the racers, I'm betting that the reliability factor made the choice.

Plus Furias was already set up for a 4360 long, long ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X