Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argonaut's Mayday Landing??

Wait a second...

I was taking a look at the Stead overhead map on google maps. Did Argonaut land on a dirt strip?? There are two strips that Argo could've landed on that being some Tarmac and some dirt.

The Tarmac looks further down towards the Ed of the runway then where argonaut pulled off onto the taxiway near the pits, anyone know anything?
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Argonaut's Mayday Landing??

I was not there so I truly know nothing for certain but I was listening to LiveATC while watching the stream. I thought he called for 18 when Steve Hinton switched to him after 77 was rolling out. I figured I had misheard him but when Steve responded to the call, I thought he stated 18 again. There certainly is a closed runway on the west side of the field that was either 18 or 19 at one time. I figured it was about 50-50 that I had misunderstood or that he did want 18 (winds, positioning, etc.) I am guessing it is kept prepped, at least as much as a closed runway can be, just in case it is needed.

I'd love to hear from those in the know as I was immediately curious at the time.

James

Comment

Landed on the closed runway 18 about 1/3 to 1/2 way down the runway. Apparently on tarmac as there wsn' a bunch of dust stirred up. A Mayday in the Sport Class also appeared to go for 18 but didn't make it or veered off into the dirt.

Comment

He was following the Bear in to 14 and was too close...chose 18 as alternative...

..the way it looked from Lemmon drive..west side..

Comment

It's an abandoned runway that is really rough for the first half but is good shape from the Guard Base to the main runway. 77 was declared for 14 so Argo landed on 18 almost simultanious with 77. The sport plane mayday was trying to make 14 and went wide crossing the taxi way and rolling up the hill on the west side.

That runway has been used numerous time over the years. Rare Bear has used it and Sport Class used it 2010 when Giboney went in on 26. I wish they would repave it and make it active.
          "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Argo was Buckin pretty good on startup.....Im surpised it made the runup well enough to make a go at takeoff.

Glad she made it down OK....Any word on issues? Wonder what the "Squawk Sheet" says?

Comment

Yesterday, upon returning from the High G Ridge the bus drove down 18. There is a paved overlay about half the length of the runway. It's about one car lane wide. The rest of the runway is pretty broken up with varying degree of smoothness. On the broken up part it would be a rough ride. Freeway speeds would be a challenge.

Comment

18 was closed many years ago because it is not visible over its entire length from the tower. Unfortunately, CLOSED=NO LONGER MAINTAINED.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim58 View Post
                  Argo was Buckin pretty good on startup.....Im surpised it made the runup well enough to make a go at takeoff.

Glad she made it down OK....Any word on issues? Wonder what the "Squawk Sheet" says?
                  I was going to ask the exact same thing. You have to guess that a hard, wet start like that on a round engine is going to mean some plugs are fouled right from the get-go. I'd assume that the runup looked OK or they wouldn't have launched, but it wouldn't surprise me if she got rough under race power just from the fouling.

Comment

My understanding was pegged oil temp, but good oil pressure, so it was a precautionary.

Comment

Working...
                    X