Spitfire low pass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfire low pass

Check this out from Autoweek.com. Funny as hell. Warning R-rated commentary.

Amazing

Wow- I love it! I think I'd be yelling "Do it again!!!" instead.

Comment

Hummn......

Dunno if it's the camera angle or not... and I love getting haircuts BIG time... but....

I've seen this one before and... hating to pass judgement, and again, maybe the camera angle is deceptive.. but.. particularly taking into consideration the loss of airplanes in England over the last few years..

I'd say, the pilot was cutting the pig a little close to the bone on this one...

One little slip and... he wipes a camera crew, probably the prop and, maybe himself and the airplane...

Again... it might well be the camera angle and... if so, I'd be yelling bout the same thing as the "talent" did and the "DO IT AGAIN!!!!!"

That sort of thing gone wrong, however, would shut down ALL low passes anywhere forever...

Just an observation that I had when I first saw this a month or so ago and kept my trap shut on..... I've had close passes, nothing that appeared anywhere near that close.. again... camera angle??

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

A friend of mine shot some video with a low pass like this when he went to an airshow in England.....I've been to a couple of British shows but have never seen anything irresponsible. With recent calls to ban aerobatics at Duxford I think the aerobatic flying will be done more responsibly in the future. There is no need for it really. Pretty awesome video!

JH

Comment

About 10 years ago I was standing just about where the guy in the video was in England. Same scenario. Same pilot, Mustang instead of the Spitfire.

If I had raised my hand, I would have lost fingers from the prop - mustang was doing 350.

Definitely no wierd angle - it was that close.

The best part was after the fact a woman picked herself up out of the mud and had a clump of grass stuck between her teeth. She wasn't happy.

Simon

Comment

Again, with this particular clip, I can't really tell if it's just camera angle that makes it look like the pilot clipped it pretty close, or if it was really a "safe" manuver...

From what I've seen in the cockpit of long nose airplanes, and what you can see from the camera angle, the pilot would have lost the crew in his vision long before he made the pullup... Again, camera angle <?> but it sure looks like, had he missed his "mark" on the pullup, he'd have had himself a really messy airplane...

Don't get me wrong... I LIVE for low overhead passes and one pilot, who's name, as well as the name of the airplane, and or location of "event" shall go unmentioned... A pilot whom I trust very well and knew he was at the controls of "said" airplane, recently had the owner of the airplane in the back seat and they were headed at my photo position.. the conversation in the cockpit was told to me later by the pilot...

Backseater/Owner "do you see that guy standing there"

Frontseater/PIC "yea"

Backseater/Owner "are we gonna hit him???"

Frontseater/PIC "yea"....

Well... it was a nice close pass, but I could tell from way into it, it was not a dangerous distance... I held my ground, I got the shot...

And that's fun.... being decoration on the front of an airplane... no matter how cool it looked right up to the "OH CHITE" moment... would not only be not cool for me, but for everyone who comes after me...

Yea.. It is a really cool pass though!!!!!!

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I see your point but...

"A man should know his Limitations"

spoken by Clint Eastwood, I believe in High plains Drifter...

Comment

Re: I see your point but...

Originally posted by Unregistered
                "A man should know his Limitations"

spoken by Clint Eastwood, I believe in High plains Drifter...
                I think you have completely missed my point..

I certainly know mine.. can't say whether or not I'd have stood my ground on that pass or not... question is... does the pilot know his or.... has he been lucky to this point...

Again, I only say any of the above, "unregistered," because of the negative effect it would have on the "game" for everyone who came after my decoration...

Personally, buying it that quick with that much thrill factor just before would certainly be better than dying an old crippled mentally deficient man..

Would be a Beatch for those who never got to experience the thrill of a low pass after me though..

Wayne Sagar
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Low Pass

By the way the quote is "A man's got to know his limitations" It is from the 2nd Dirty Harry movie, uttered just after he blows up a crooked cop.

I don't know about the camera angle, but I have seen on Discovery the Breitling Fighters perform, and fly very, very low. Don't know if they still do this though.

Comment

Camera angle

Wayne- When I freeze the clip at the spot where the Spitfire is directly over the "talent's" head (22 sec.) it doesn't appear to be deceptively low because of camera angle... it just looks plain scary! A late pullup, indeed!

Comment

Re: Camera angle

Originally posted by drmull
                      Wayne- When I freeze the clip at the spot where the Spitfire is directly over the "talent's" head (22 sec.) it doesn't appear to be deceptively low because of camera angle... it just looks plain scary! A late pullup, indeed!
                      That's kinda my point.. in an earlier life, I "logged" about 30,000+ hours on fork-lifts.. (probably more...my achin back)

Got to where I could move that thing just like my arms and legs... put the forks places I could not even see without slowing down...

Reach for things with the same mental ease that I could reach for a beer.. *most* of the time, when I reach for a beer, I'm right on mark.. once in a great while, I miss the mark and knock the damn thing over..

Most of the time when I did really rapid moves on the fork-lift, everything went right where I wanted it..

Once in a while, I stub my toe, even though I've been walking for better than 51 years..

Once in a while, I stuck those forks so deep into something I didn't want to that it amazed me..

My point being.. I always moved with reasonable caution around HUMAN objects.. only bumped one once... was moving pretty slow, so no harm, no foul..

I tore the crap out of a lot of things that I moved by close and fast though.. that once in a while stubbed toe happens a few times in the course of 30k some odd hours..

Happens to the guy in the spit. he's got a LOT of problems..

And so does the rest of everyone who flies.. that's my point... getting the thrill is what this is all about.. pushing the envelope too close is what it is NOT about.. we lose airplanes, we lose people and... sooner or later, if we keep doing it. we just might lose the right to fly with abandon!

Just my $.02

Still would have loved to be there !

Wayne
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Low pass

That video clip is from the spitfire’s 60th anniversary airshow at Duxford a few years ago. I taped the show from SpeedVision and the guy is Alain de Cadenet, they obviously cut out the last part where he just about shat himself. The guy flying the Spit is Ray Hanna, and Alain says during the show that Ray is looked at by other pilots as the best Spitfire demo pilot around.
                        Jason
                        Jason Schillereff

Comment

I used to do low passes in an airplane that was not mine and I definitly had no means to repair if I damaged it. At one show a wise pilot a bit senior to me in age and experience told me,

" You can only tie, the lowest guy..."

Chris...

Comment

Low Pass

That guy probably knows "sheepdip" about aircraft. He has no idea how blessed he was to be in that place at that time. How many of us would pay good money for the experience of a Spitfire buzzing us that close?!

Does anyone know how many Spits are acutally flying?!

Clay
                            Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

"That guy probably knows "sheepdip" about aircraft. "

Oops...

Actually that guy does know sheepdip - He owns a Spitfire and a Staggerwing - both based in England.

He is Alain de Cadanet -owns Spitfire XVI TE184 - he's a former Formula 1 race car driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X