Relentless update ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relentless update ...

Just stopped by the Relentless cave and chatted with Kevin for a quick second. He says the plane is ready to go with a geared GTSIO-520 Continental with dual turbos and a 4 blade MT prop. Looks real nice! Of course I did not have my camera to steal any photos - dang it. I'll remember to bring my camera tomorrow and see if I can sneak some photos for all you meaniacs.
    1960 Piper Comanche

Re: Relentless update ...

Can you go back and get some pictures? Can't wait to see that.
    Brian

Comment

Titan Engine web page referenced Kenin's engine as a GTSIO-550 which is extremely rare, is it a more common geared 520 or an actual geared 550??

Comment

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
        Titan Engine web page referenced Kenin's engine as a GTSIO-550 which is extremely rare, is it a more common geared 520 or an actual geared 550??
        I asked him 'like the one in a 421 Cessna' and he confirmed it. Not sure if it has bigger cylinders or not, I'll try and get more info tomorrow. Seems like a good power plant to use with the gearing down to slow the prop. The stock gear reduction of a 520 is 2.3 to 1 apparently. If the prop spins say 2700 or so rpm, that engine will be singing around 6200 rpm.
        1960 Piper Comanche

Comment

Just curious if Kevin had come up with 5.40 inch bore cylinders to mate with 4.00 inch (520 crank) to come up with 550 in3.

Standard GTSIO-520 reduction is 0.667:1.0, so at rated 3400 (engine) rpm the prop is turning at 2,270 rpm. However there was a gear reduction (C model) at 0.750:1 which would result in prop turning at 2,550 rpm.

Comment

...and this stuff is why the Sport Class is poised to be the new home of excitement in air racing....

Gear reduction... Check
            Large bore cylinders... Check
            Forced Induction...Check
            The best, and rarest parts out of the catalog...Check
            400 MPH... you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

Comment

Can't wait

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
                ...and this stuff is why the Sport Class is poised to be the new home of excitement in air racing....

Gear reduction... Check
                Large bore cylinders... Check
                Forced Induction...Check
                The best, and rarest parts out of the catalog...Check
                400 MPH... you ain't seen nuthin' yet.
                Don't forget programmable electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition

Comment

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
                  Just curious if Kevin had come up with 5.40 inch bore cylinders to mate with 4.00 inch (520 crank) to come up with 550 in3.

Standard GTSIO-520 reduction is 0.667:1.0, so at rated 3400 (engine) rpm the prop is turning at 2,270 rpm. However there was a gear reduction (C model) at 0.750:1 which would result in prop turning at 2,550 rpm.
                  Kevin's new business venture has been building new design cylinders for several applications. It would not surprise me one bit for him to have some prototype parts on the race engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                    Kevin's new business venture has been building new design cylinders for several applications. It would not surprise me one bit for him to have some prototype parts on the race engine.
                    Win on Sunday, sell on Monday.
                    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Finally got some pictures from the Relentless cave last night ...

Kevin and his helpers were busy wrenching heavily last night getting Relentless ready, so I wasn't able to ask too many questions. Interesting that he's not running any kind of charge cooler but I suspect he is using some sort of water injection to keep the air/fuel mixture cool? Turbo chargers are look pretty dang big to me. I cannot confirm it, but I think he is running a 'cold air kit' too.
                      Attached Files
                      1960 Piper Comanche

Comment

Nice pictures dude

mot

Comment

Cowling is together and on and Kevin ran it up some on the ramp last night - sounded very very healthy. Cowling finish is a little rough if you look at it up close, but as Kevin quoted: "I don't think anybody will notice at 400 mph"

Says he plans on arriving Friday ...
                          1960 Piper Comanche

Comment

Just left KSBP airport this evening after working on my plane and noticed that Relentless was back in her hanger with the cowling off. Hopefully a minor issue that can be solved in time. Let the drama begin ... (as if it hasn't already)
                            1960 Piper Comanche

Comment

Originally posted by comancheflyer View Post
                              Just left KSBP airport this evening after working on my plane and noticed that Relentless was back in her hanger with the cowling off. Hopefully a minor issue that can be solved in time. Let the drama begin ... (as if it hasn't already)
                              Motor let go on the second test flight. They are not coming.

Comment

Working...
                              X