PDA

View Full Version : Concorde's last visit to Boston

ENG395
10-13-2003, 01:34 AM
Went out Thursday evening to shoot the departure of the final British Airways Concorde to fly into Logan International Airport. My office had been told that it would depart around 6pm, which I figured would work out well with sunset. I shot a couple test frames of other airliners just make sure what I was gonna get from my digital gear.

Things didn't go as planned:

1- Concorde didn't depart until closer to 6:30pm, depriving me of the sunset and much of the light.
2- Concorde did not depart on the runway that I had been led to believe it would depart on.
3- Did I mention it was dark?

Anyway, my test shots looked better than anything else I've shot since getting back from Reno. Thought I'd include them so everybody else would understand what I'm carping about.

I don't think I'm desperate enough to Photoshop Sunset from photo A with any of the Concorde sequence (any advertisers may feel free to discuss such a photo illustration with my agent - HA!)

Robert

ENG395
10-13-2003, 01:35 AM
Test # 1

ENG395
10-13-2003, 01:42 AM
Let's try Test #1 again...

AAFO_WSagar
10-13-2003, 01:45 AM
Great shot Robert, the Concord would have been a priceless one!

Too bad on the scheduling changes and the like.. I guess that'll be our last chance to see such a modern marvel as the "ancient" SST!

Wayne

ENG395
10-13-2003, 01:47 AM
Test#2...

(BTW, that's a blimp at the top, not a dust speck)

ENG395
10-13-2003, 01:51 AM
Thanks, Wayne. Wait till you see how the light changed with Concorde. This stuff was shot around ASA 400 at about 1/500th @ f/5.6. Concorde was at ASA 1600 at 1/400th @ f/4.5.

EWWWWW!

Robert

ENG395
10-13-2003, 01:52 AM
Test # 3

My ears are still ringing from this one...

ENG395
10-13-2003, 01:57 AM
Now for the star of the show - if you use your imagination, you can see the Speedbird zooming down the runway.

ENG395
10-13-2003, 02:02 AM
Last one...

Will miss it.

AAFO_WSagar
10-13-2003, 02:18 AM
Just for fun, ran your high ISO noise shot through "Neat Image Pro"... does wonders for the stuff!

Actually bad light and all, a good shot.

Wayne

ENG395
10-13-2003, 02:21 AM
Hmmm....

Technology is a wonderful thing. I'll have to look into this.

Now if only someone can come up with a "turn back the clock to sunset" plug-in for PhotoShop, I'll be a happier man!

;)

AAFO_WSagar
10-13-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by ENG395
Hmmm....

Technology is a wonderful thing. I'll have to look into this.

Now if only someone can come up with a "turn back the clock to sunset" plug-in for PhotoShop, I'll be a happier man!

;) LOL... yea.... The "way back machine" I want one too!

Neat Image Pro is priceless... it's aimed at digital "noise" but, and I almost hesitate to tell them about it, for film guys, it does a wonderful job of killing grain. I mean.. REALLY wonderful..

I think it's only about $50. to reg it, not bad at all for what it does.. VERY slow if you're processing a big image but, it can rescue shots that are otherwise lost....

Again, had you managed that sunset shot, priceless... magazine cover material.. pure aviation art....

Don't ya hate it when they change schedules!!

Wayner

ENG395
10-13-2003, 02:59 AM
I'll have Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman get right on it. :D

I'll give Neat Image Pro a try (http://www.neatimage.com). I can use ALL the help I can get.

Robert

AAFO_WSagar
10-13-2003, 03:06 AM
Whatever you do, don't use the stock settings.. Their little presets are WAY too extreme and have turned some off to the proggy.. sample an area, run the sample thing on it (highly technical writing is not my forte) then, I usually drop the noise filter from 100 down to 70 or so, and the sharpen to zero or whatever, depending on whether or not I've already sharpened..

End of tech talk ;)

Wayne

ENG395
10-14-2003, 02:59 AM
Thanks, I like the 747 shot as well. Should have uploaded the sharper shot of the test but this one will do.

Robert

Kilo Hotel
10-14-2003, 08:57 AM
Robert -

All the shots you posted are great, though I share your disappointment over the timing of the Concorde takeoff. Who among us hasn't gone to a lot of trouble to set up a really special shot and then had one thing or another spoil all the planning? Still, in brighter light you wouldn't have seen the shock cones as well.

Thanks for sharing that tip about Neat Image Pro, Wayne. I'm going to add it to my digital darkroom for sure; I have dozens of low-light/high-ISO digital shots that will benefit immeasurably. I also noticed that they've posted a profile for my flatbed photo scanner, too.

I can see this is going to cost me a LOT of time, on top of the 60 bucks for the software ;-)

Kilo Hotel
10-17-2003, 05:31 PM
I found this trove of high-res Concorde shots over at airliners.net:

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraftsearch=Aerospatiale-British%20Aerospace%20Concorde%20102&distinct_entry=true

The Concorde enthusiast sites are getting all in a lather over the last-ever revenue flights to JFK next Thursday and Heathrow next Friday. I hear one of the birds is flying back to JFK the following week, destined to become part of the floating air museum at the USS Intrepid, docked on the west side of Manhattan.