Concorde's last visit to Boston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concorde's last visit to Boston

Went out Thursday evening to shoot the departure of the final British Airways Concorde to fly into Logan International Airport. My office had been told that it would depart around 6pm, which I figured would work out well with sunset. I shot a couple test frames of other airliners just make sure what I was gonna get from my digital gear.

Things didn't go as planned:

1- Concorde didn't depart until closer to 6:30pm, depriving me of the sunset and much of the light.
    2- Concorde did not depart on the runway that I had been led to believe it would depart on.
    3- Did I mention it was dark?

Anyway, my test shots looked better than anything else I've shot since getting back from Reno. Thought I'd include them so everybody else would understand what I'm carping about.

I don't think I'm desperate enough to Photoshop Sunset from photo A with any of the Concorde sequence (any advertisers may feel free to discuss such a photo illustration with my agent - HA!)

Robert

Test # 1
    Attached Files

Comment

Let's try Test #1 again...
      Attached Files

Comment

Great shot Robert, the Concord would have been a priceless one!

Too bad on the scheduling changes and the like.. I guess that'll be our last chance to see such a modern marvel as the "ancient" SST!

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Test#2...

(BTW, that's a blimp at the top, not a dust speck)
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Wayne. Wait till you see how the light changed with Concorde. This stuff was shot around ASA 400 at about 1/500th @ f/5.6. Concorde was at ASA 1600 at 1/400th @ f/4.5.

EWWWWW!

Robert

Comment

Test # 3

My ears are still ringing from this one...
              Attached Files

Comment

Now for the star of the show - if you use your imagination, you can see the Speedbird zooming down the runway.
                Attached Files

Comment

Last one...

Will miss it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just for fun, ran your high ISO noise shot through "Neat Image Pro"... does wonders for the stuff!

Actually bad light and all, a good shot.

Wayne
                    Attached Files
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hmmm....

Technology is a wonderful thing. I'll have to look into this.

Now if only someone can come up with a "turn back the clock to sunset" plug-in for PhotoShop, I'll be a happier man!

Comment

Originally posted by ENG395
                        Hmmm....

Technology is a wonderful thing. I'll have to look into this.

Now if only someone can come up with a "turn back the clock to sunset" plug-in for PhotoShop, I'll be a happier man!

LOL... yea.... The "way back machine" I want one too!

Neat Image Pro is priceless... it's aimed at digital "noise" but, and I almost hesitate to tell them about it, for film guys, it does a wonderful job of killing grain. I mean.. REALLY wonderful..

I think it's only about $50. to reg it, not bad at all for what it does.. VERY slow if you're processing a big image but, it can rescue shots that are otherwise lost....

Again, had you managed that sunset shot, priceless... magazine cover material.. pure aviation art....

Don't ya hate it when they change schedules!!

Wayner
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I'll have Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman get right on it.

I'll give Neat Image Pro a try (http://www.neatimage.com). I can use ALL the help I can get.

Robert

Comment

Whatever you do, don't use the stock settings.. Their little presets are WAY too extreme and have turned some off to the proggy.. sample an area, run the sample thing on it (highly technical writing is not my forte) then, I usually drop the noise filter from 100 down to 70 or so, and the sharpen to zero or whatever, depending on whether or not I've already sharpened..

End of tech talk

Wayne
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks, I like the 747 shot as well. Should have uploaded the sharper shot of the test but this one will do.

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X