Overexsposed Junk!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overexsposed Junk!!

A little help here from the experts. I left the camera on evaluative metering all week and now really realize this is a mistake with certain planes like Sept. Fury pictured here. I know why the sky is blown out. What I want to know is there a general rule for exsposure compensation after you spot meter the plane. Would -1 stop be good here, -1/2 stop, -1/3 stop??

Thanks,

Tim

Exposure compensation

Tim, it looks to me like you needed at least one full stop (-1.0) of EV compensation here, maybe more.

A question for the experienced race photogs on this list: when shooting racers in flight do you use a polarizing filter to cut down the brightness of the sky, or is it too much of a liability because of all the panning you do while in continuous shooting mode? I know that with my camera, which locks exposure at the first frame in continuous mode, a sequence of shots while panning will have maybe two frames that are well exposed; the rest are over/under exposed as the polarizer loses/gains effectiveness due to the changes in shooting orientation with respect to the sun. Do the high-end digital SLRs have a continous shooting mode that resets exposure between frames, while maintaining acceptable frame rates?
    SteveZ

Comment

I don't know if the EOS 3 locks the exsposure or not, I would have to dig out the manual. Either way I don't use a polarizer. After spending close to $2,000 for a fixed apeture 2.8 zoom, I don't want to lose a stop because of the filter.

Comment

Working...
      X