• Show
Clear All

• What is this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chico copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	241774

Does anyone know what this aircraft is? It looks like a Grumman but I can't find a match with the landing gear and cockpit like that. It is located at Chico and I believe belongs to Chico Air Museum. They are only open a couple days a week so I didn't have a chance to ask.
    "Lighten Up Francis....."

Re: What is this?

Originally posted by boomtown View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]20619[/ATTACH]

Does anyone know what this aircraft is? It looks like a Grumman but I can't find a match with the landing gear and cockpit like that. It is located at Chico and I believe belongs to Chico Air Museum. They are only open a couple days a week so I didn't have a chance to ask.
    That is a Grumman Guardian...a post-war, carrier-based sub-hunter. They were utilized as fire bombers into the late 70's.

Comment

Cool. Thanks Brad. I figured it was a Grumman of some type.
      "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

I love it when we have threads like this....
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
          I love it when we have threads like this....
          Me too...midwing with pretty long LG legs.

Found in a museum as well; http://www.skytamer.com/6.1/AZ/Mesa,CAF.html
          http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Grumman AF Guardian. They're a pretty big airplane for a single engine. I believe they had a P&W 2800. Some were converted to air tankers. I remember years ago when I was a kid and flew out of Columbia CA, Once in a great while, one would come in there to tank up. I believe Aero Union ran them. A few years ago, down at Eagle Field west of Fresno, their were some fuselages and various parts sitting there. Might still be there. I believe the S-2 Tracker replaced them.
            Brian

Comment

Ok....smartypantseses...is it the 'Hunter' or the 'Killer'?
              Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

I believe that's the "Killer"
                If I remember right, I believe Aero Union after retiring them, restored one for a museum somewhere. Put it back to navy colors etc.
                Brian

Comment

çrap...shoulda' said...'Guppy' or 'Scrapper' ....oh well...

I thought it was a hunter from were that fuselage break was. That was about the size of that giant fairing for the search radar.

Brad KNOWS ASW....I don't know shi-ite...
                  Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

I think that's the weapons bay, and I'm assuming that was an air tanker, and hence the location of the tank, but I'm not positive.
                    Brian

Comment

The Arizona CAF at Mesa have one in their restoration shop almost completed for static display. I saw it last week and it just needs markings over the new blue paint and a few accessories.

Comment

Working...
                      X