Accident at Travis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accident at Travis

Just turned the news on and they're reporting an accident of an airshow plane at the Travis AFB airshow today.
    Evidently went in inverted..........appears to be a Stearman, but not positive. Sad start to the airshow season. My thoughts and prayers to the families and friends.
    Brian

Re: Accident at Travis

KTVU has just reported the pilot on the air show schedule was Eddie Andreini. Prays to the pilot's family.

Warbirds45

Comment

Yup it was Eddie, I'm devastated, it's the worst feeling in the world when you have seen the pilot perform gorgeous acts in front of you countless times before. This is just terrible, blue skies Eddie you will surely be missed by everyone in the airshow world.
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I know we have another thread here where apparently it's a crime to speculate on the cause, but it appears from the footage, pictures, and spectator accounts that it was an inverted ribbon cut in the stearman and it got caught it a crosswind or something of that nature and pushed it inverted onto the tarmac. Really sad, Eddie was a great pilot
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Eddie was a great pilot and will be truly missed.

Comment

Blue Skies Eddie & prayers to family & all involved.
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Condolences and prayers to Mr. Andreini's family and friends.

Comment

Eddie was a Close Friend and ,Yes, He Will be missed by all who knew him and by all who were amazed by his dynamic performances.Click image for larger version

Name:	eddie1.gif
Views:	1
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	227598

Boss

Comment

I know we have another thread here where apparently it's a crime to speculate on the cause,
                  It's not a crime, but aren't we here in this community better than that?

It is one thing to speculate on an accident that occurs in front of thousands of people. Lots of immediate evidence, film, pictures, eyewitness accounts. Lots of folks in the peanut gallery.

On the other hand, I would say out of respect for those involved, to speculate on the cause of an accident before the facts are released, that was not witnessed by anyone except those involved, is a rude and needless exercise in gossip and hear-say.

We all know the tv and print news media doesn't know sh-t about airplanes. This is proven over and over with their poor factual reporting of aircraft accidents. For members of this community to start speculating and laying blame for the Buick's accident, based on initial news reports shows a fundamental lack of respect to those involved in tragedy.

R.I.P. Eddie. Thank you for all the years of entertainment, you shall be missed. Blue skies.
                  '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

I was surprised to hear on the news that Eddie attempted the ribbon cut twice before the 3rd pass on which he hit the runway.

Anyone know if that is true, or just poor media interpretation of Eddie's performance?

Comment

I can think of no better tribute than this video by Evan. RIP Eddie

Fun with the Super Stearman and some GoPro HD Hero 2's
                      Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
                        I was surprised to hear on the news that Eddie attempted the ribbon cut twice before the 3rd pass on which he hit the runway.

Anyone know if that is true, or just poor media interpretation of Eddie's performance?
                        Every time I saw his act he would make 3 passes before cutting the ribbon. I always thought it was part of the act.

Lance

Comment

I was on the north end of the ramp taking this photo of Eddie's P-51. He'd just passed by for his ribbon cut, and I was positioning, hoping to catch him on the next pass for a shot of the Stearman with smoke on above the Mustang. Suddenly it was just quiet and security went running by for their vehicles. I turned around to see black smoke. RIP Eddie and thanks for all the great shows over the years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Primo Branco.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	227599

Comment

The Sac Bee of 5/5/2014 carrys a story of a pissed off retired photojournalist who was enraged at the lethargic response of the fire crews. The suggestion was made that Eddie was still alive until the plane belatedly caught fire and incinerated him. The seasoned witness comment was that he should may have been able to survive if the response was as fast as we have come to appreciate at Reno.
                            I'm waiting for the NTSB.
                            He was a genuine showman.

Comment

Yes on the three passes but his first pass he was upright and flew under the ribbon. Second pass was for the inverted ribbon cut. I believe this is normal routine and I've seen him do this at other airshows.

Comment

Working...
                              X