P 40 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P 40 question

I have just watched the movie Flying Tigers with John Wayne I do not know or understand what the three tubes that are on top of the front howling of the plains in the movieand what is even more silly when they cut to the planes flying the tubes are not there I can understand one maybe for a carburetor inletmaybe they are just an early version of it I have just never seen them on top of the P 40any clue as to what the are would be helpful thank you

Re: P 40 question

There are folks around here that know more than I, JCP, but I think the B model had and intake and two gun muzzles on the cowl.

Comment

I think the P-40's used in that movie were E models.

Comment

The 2 outside nostrils on the b & c model p40's generally housed 2x 30 cal guns and the center nostril was the intake for the carb. The E model used a different version of the v1710 with a different nose case that didnt allow the room for the guns.
        race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
          The 2 outside nostrils on the b & c model p40's generally housed 2x 30 cal guns and the center nostril was the intake for the carb. The E model used a different version of the v1710 with a different nose case that didnt allow the room for the guns.
          It was actually 2x .50s... and it wasn't that there was no room for the .50s in the upper cowl with the new motor setup, they just decided when they upgraded the armament to go with the standard 6x .50s all in the wings.

Comment

Working...
          X