RARA SHAKEUP PART II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RARA SHAKEUP PART II

I've just gotten very reliable word that Michael Houghton is no longer serving with RARA.

This website will continue to be a supporter of the Reno National Championship Air Races and we look forward to news from the organization on the path ahead.
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: RARA SHAKEUP PART II

Comment

what refreshing news!

Comment

WOW.. Guess I need a proof reader! I sure did not intend my post to indicate that losing Mike as the top hand at Reno was a good thing! Or, at least, certainly not something to celebrate. It's unfortunate that it did.

Nobody agrees with everybody, all the time but, Houghton and his team managed to keep the gig going against some incredible odds.. beyond where I'd imagined they could.

RARA does have financial, as well as regulatory problems, indeed.. I just hope they are headed in the best direction to achieve the goals.

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne! As a long time spectator and with NO special info on the internal workings of the management team of Mike Houghton, I have to agree with your above statement. To me, he did keep the Air Races alive after the tragedy a couple years ago. I do hope this move is in a positive direction. May 2014 be the best Air Racing year ever..........Happy New Year to all.
          Brian

Comment

Ok, I'll jump in with my nickels worth of comment.

Just like Brian's post, I have no inside knowledge of the inner workings. But from the day Mike took the reins of RARA he seemed like a dedicated person.

As a local fan and supporter of the air races I would have to give him a "A" for effort.

As for the events of 2011 - I would never wish that on anyone.

So with that said, I thank him for what he has done and endured in his tenure and I wish him all the best.

Comment

Mike Houghton was in a position where no one will ever agree with everything that he did. But, he deserves a lot of credit for handling some tough times starting with 9/11, the weather canceled finals and 2011.

Comment

I'll echo Wayne's comments and others here as well. MH guided RARA through its worse storm ever. If not for the way RARA handled 2010 and 2011, I'd venture to say we'd not be commenting here about air racing at all...except to say, "Damn it!"

I'm not here to staunchly defend MH...he's more than capable of doing that all on his own. But, while none of us would say we agreed with everything RARA did or didn't do, why can't we simply say MH served RARA in the way he felt best for the sport, the board supported those efforts, we thank him for his service, and wish him well. Not really a lot to ask, is it. Always be those who focus on the darker-side of things I suppose...and that gets you where, exactly?

Here's to a refreshed RARA in 2014 and beyond. Let's turn the page and make the next chapter even better than the last.
                Owen Ashurst
                Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                http://airbossone.com/

Comment

2011 was a very tragic event, but please do not forget about the pilots we lost in 2007 & 2008. Mike Houghton had a lot to deal with in 2007, it's amazing it didn't all come to an end that year with three separate fatal crashes. Steve Dari, Brad Morehouse and Gary Hubler all died within a four-day span.
                  http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                  http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Excellent point, Victor. I regret not mentioning those who we lost during that week as well. Thank you for reminding us all.

It really has been a rocky road for RARA for some time. Like him or not, I feel MH may have been the right sort of man for the job at the right time.
                    Owen Ashurst
                    Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                    http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
                      I'll echo Wayne's comments and others here as well. MH guided RARA through its worse storm ever. If not for the way RARA handled 2010 and 2011, I'd venture to say we'd not be commenting here about air racing at all...except to say, "Damn it!"

I'm not here to staunchly defend MH...he's more than capable of doing that all on his own. But, while none of us would say we agreed with everything RARA did or didn't do, why can't we simply say MH served RARA in the way he felt best for the sport, the board supported those efforts, we thank him for his service, and wish him well. Not really a lot to ask, is it. Always be those who focus on the darker-side of things I suppose...and that gets you where, exactly?

Here's to a refreshed RARA in 2014 and beyond. Let's turn the page and make the next chapter even better than the last.
                      +1 Well said.....
                      "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

BREAKING: President and CEO departs RARA

Comment

Lots of "Good" CEO's get the boot and they have done a lot of things right. It only take a couple of "little" mistakes to send someone down the road. While it may have been good intentioned, whatever happend this year on the unlimited class that left half of the field choosing not to come, could be one of those "little mistakes".
                          I look forward to some new blood that can implement some change for the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
                            Lots of "Good" CEO's get the boot and they have done a lot of things right. It only take a couple of "little" mistakes to send someone down the road. While it may have been good intentioned, whatever happend this year on the unlimited class that left half of the field choosing not to come, could be one of those "little mistakes".
                            I look forward to some new blood that can implement some change for the better.
                            Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner. It was very clear the Unlimiteds (stockers), were not coming back with Mike in charge.

Comment

I'll always remember the first year Mike took over... the Blues or TBirds were flying that year, I can't remember which, but they insisted that they would close the show, which was going to cause a sanitary field i.e. no cameras on the course for the UL gold race...

Mike met with a pretty disgruntled bunch of photographers as we got off the bus the first day that we had to come in early... I remember him being very honest, telling us that the jet demo team meant so much to the event's bottom line that if push came to shove, they would win and it was game over for any on course shots for that year's gold events... He closed the conversation with something like, "I'm not going to make any promises but I will try go get you what you need"...

The demo team did NOT close the show! I believe it was the first time in their history that they did not have that position in a show lineup.

Mike was and is a gruff taskmaster, that rubbed some folks the wrong way, hell, more than a few times, I've had to answer to him, but I'll stand behind what he accomplished any day of the week!

The event has been on shaky ground since the September 11, 2001 shut down... that we made it this far is nothing short of a miracle.

Walk proud Mike Houghton, you did a good job!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X