pylon racing coming to nz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pylon racing coming to nz

Yes thats right, the worlds fastest motorsport is coming downunder at warbirds over wanaka 2014. The #gigatownwanaka jet race will feature 6 pilots, 3 kiwi and 3 reno race pilots flying l29, l39 and dh vampires on a closed course circut. Final selection of pilots is still tbc but will feature reno winners and a multi time redbull pilot. Racing will be a pylon race not red bull style time trial racing.

Sorry, it seems you were trying to access a page that doesn't exist. Please check the spelling of the URL you were trying to access and try again. Or, head back

I love it, more exposure for the worlds fastest and coolest motorsport
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Re: pylon racing coming to nz

That is pretty sweet! Maybe they can talk liveairshowtv in to a live stream so we all can see it. Looks like Warbird News also picked up the story.
    Random Air Blog

Comment

Might this be just the beginnings of an awesome venue for NZ !!

Comment

Cowboy, Wanaka is already and awesome venue for a show, with the airport beside a river valley, with mountains all around it is an amazing place for an airshow. Many many pilots use the wide river valley to their advantage, as do the dogfight scenarios, with shot down airplanes going into the valley and 'exploding' One of the best uses for the valley ever had to the be the RAAF in 2006 when they brought their F-111's over for the show, the airplanes were based at Christchurch international airport and 21 minutes from wheels up they were entering the show area... at Mach .9 and 50 feet They TFR'd from 45 miles out and the first you knew they were there was when it went past with the sound nearly trailing behind. I hope it is successful, im now hanging out to see who Team USA will be.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
          Cowboy, Wanaka is already and awesome venue for a show, with the airport beside a river valley, with mountains all around it is an amazing place for an airshow. Many many pilots use the wide river valley to their advantage, as do the dogfight scenarios, with shot down airplanes going into the valley and 'exploding' One of the best uses for the valley ever had to the be the RAAF in 2006 when they brought their F-111's over for the show, the airplanes were based at Christchurch international airport and 21 minutes from wheels up they were entering the show area... at Mach .9 and 50 feet They TFR'd from 45 miles out and the first you knew they were there was when it went past with the sound nearly trailing behind. I hope it is successful, im now hanging out to see who Team USA will be.

My guess for Team USA is Mike Mangold (former Red Bull pilot), Pete Zacignino, and Lee Behel.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
            My guess for Team USA is Mike Mangold (former Red Bull pilot), Pete Zacignino, and Lee Behel.
            You may be right, hmmm if mike mangold is one of the pilots i wonder if he will bring his aerobatic show routine too

Comment

You know the interesting thing about the racing jets, I have taken a new friend to Reno the past three years and the one class that is always sure to get their iphones out for pictures and videos is the jets. They also love the military demos and static displays and were very disappointed this year when they weren't there.
              Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                You know the interesting thing about the racing jets, I have taken a new friend to Reno the past three years and the one class that is always sure to get their iphones out for pictures and videos is the jets. They also love the military demos and static displays and were very disappointed this year when they weren't there.
                I gave a mom and her, probably, 4 year old son a ride down to the gate by Aviation Classics... what was her son raving about and what was his answer when I asked him what his favorite was...

You guessed it..

Funny that some of us, myself included, are not particularly "enthusiastic" about the jets.. but they might well be key to the future of the sport.

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Jets can be a gateway drug that lead to a full-on Air Race addiction. Because of the similarity to bad-ass, modern-day military hardware, they get the newbies interested. Then they see, hear, and feel a 70 year old plane go by at 500 mph. Now they are hooked. Then, they discover the sport class (because they go fast too) and the close competition of the T-6's (so damn loud they can't be missed). At some point in the cycle of addition, they arrive for their fix early and see amazing things: The incredible variety and innovation awaiting them in F1 and some guy with a wicked mustache in a biplane that laps the whole field. At that point, some loud modern military thing will fly by, and our junkie will not even look up (at least not for long). The are beyond that; they need something stronger now, something only real air racing can provide.
                  Last edited by W J Pearce; 12-19-2013, 01:07 PM.
                  Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                  Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Bill, i hear ya loud n clear,
                    Thats what i am hoping for with the Jet racing at the Wanaka airshow, get people hooked on the racing, then find the other classes.
                    I am frantically trying to save $ so i can attend reno next year, there is a tour coming from NZ, but they are only going to be at the races on Saturday and Sunday, and for the $$ being charged, i think i can do it better on my own and get the whole week in

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                      Bill, i hear ya loud n clear,
                      Thats what i am hoping for with the Jet racing at the Wanaka airshow, get people hooked on the racing, then find the other classes.
                      I am frantically trying to save $ so i can attend reno next year, there is a tour coming from NZ, but they are only going to be at the races on Saturday and Sunday, and for the $$ being charged, i think i can do it better on my own and get the whole week in
                      Latest new on teams, the international team will be mike mangold, former shuttle commander curt brown and aussie based pilot john kokshorn

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce View Post
                        ...and some guy with a wicked mustache in a biplane that laps the whole field....

That was just classic! Nice post Bill!

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                          That was just classic! Nice post Bill!

- Joseph
                          Just calling it like I see it. And I hope the NZ event really takes off (no pun intended).
                          Attached Files
                          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Looks like nothing but good news coming out of this event and they have a sponsor: http://www.warbirdsnews.com/airshow-...l-airshow.html
                            Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                              Looks like nothing but good news coming out of this event and they have a sponsor: http://www.warbirdsnews.com/airshow-...l-airshow.html
                              The sponsor for the wanaka race is the wanaka community trying to win the southern hemispheres fastest internet, #gigatown is being competed for by nearly every community in nz, but its great to see them sponsoring something different

Comment

Working...
                              X