Nellis Airshow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nellis Airshow

Does anyone know what Unlimted racers will be particpating in the Nellis Airshow, Airrace Demonstration in Las Vegas, Nevada?

Rumor has it "Tiger" plans to bring "Strega" to Las Vegas.

For those of you involved in Air Racing for a decade or more, I ask the following Triva questions:

1. What was the name of the city outside of Las Vegas that hosted an Air Race?

CLUE: From Las Vegas it's along the way to Hover Dam.

2. What year was the 1st Jet Airrace held outside Las Vegas?

CLUE: It was between 1980 and 2000.

Good Luck

Airrace... I dont' have a clue on the questions about the other Vegas races but.. the list, as I know it as of now for Unlimited's slated to show at Nellis this year are....

1. Dago Red
    2. Rare Bear
    3. Miss America
    4. Voodoo (this entry will very likely not make it due to engine failure at Reno)
    5. **edit to original post** Ron Buccarelli and Precious Metal
    6. Critical Mass
    7. There actually are a number of racers currently being "courted" to fill the last slot (five are slated in "paid" slots, more can come for fuel and rooms, from what I understand)

Some in the loop for consideration and what we'd all like to see...

Ridge Runner
    Furias
    Holbrook's Yak
    Czech Mate

As for Tiger, he's always on the top of the list if he's flying and wants to come...

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wasn't the purpose of Ron Buccarelli's "reserved" running at Reno this year because he needed to have a working engine to take to Nellis?

Rumor I heard was that there was more $$$ involved in Precious Metal being at Nellis than there was for him to push hard and try to "win" $$$ at Reno.

Speeddemon

Comment

Whuups... that's what I get for posting that without the list in front of me... CORRECTION.... Ron B. and Precious Metal are FOR SURE on that schedule!

My bad... !! Sorry Ron!

Wayne
        PS... I'm going to edit the original post!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Airrace,
          Technicaly, races have been held in Mojave, Phoenix, Miami, Dallas, even Linclon, CA. Not exactly between Vegas and Hover, but I guess that all depends on which direction you start walking! I remember there was a big air show in Henderson around '94 I think, were the races part of that?

Why would Buccareli be getting more than the other racers? I thought he ran pretty good at Reno. I love the sound of that air plane! I'm glad I'll be able to hear it again at Nellis.

Race 29
          Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29
            Why would Buccareli be getting more than the other racers? I thought he ran pretty good at Reno. I love the sound of that air plane! I'm glad I'll be able to hear it again at Nellis.
            I really am just a "lacky" to all this but... from what I understand, nobody gets any more than anyone else.

Nor do I know that the reason that Ron did not push at Reno was because he thought he'd get more at Vegas than at Reno.

I think Ron wants to be at Vegas for the same reason any other racer wants to be there.. They get to "play" down low, burn someone else's gas, thrill 1000's of people, most of whom have never seen anything like this.. In short.. Ron wants to be there to expand the awareness of Air Racin'..

I truly can't speak for him.. obviously, if you read my messed up original post.. I have plenty enough trouble speaking for myself

I suppose it's not a secret that I do the website for the Nellis Air Show, but that does not mean that I get to know everything and if I goof a few more times like above.. mebbie, I'll not get to know ANYTHING

Demo racing is PURE FUN! Period.. We can all go on forever about "it's not *real* racing" and all that but.. gotta guard what we say but, let's just say... Officially, the pilots can not race at Vegas and, of course, they are completely legal wherever they fly. All are prudent professionals after all..

To say that there is no **competition** down there or at any demo race would be misspeaking...

It is, truly a blast to see, and especially if you listen in to the folks who are experiencing it for the first time.. They just dig the pooop out of it!

Suspension of disbelief is an amazing thing. Watch any wrestling crowd... The wrestling there is not "real" wrestling but... there *is* competition..

Am I makin' any sense here??

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The earlier air races in Vegas were in Boulder City.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                The earlier air races in Vegas were in Boulder City.
                Hey Randy, missed you (and a few others) at Reno this year.. Did see the "BradDad" one evening over at "the cave" tho...

Just looking at a view of Boulder via teraserver.(whatever it is) and from the "look" of it, they could still have one there.. Lots of, what appears from the view from way above, to be open spaces..

Have you been out there lately? Are there power lines or other stuff that would make it impossible there?

The "Mesquete Project" may be a "bit" on-hold.. but if there were another place, that was suitable, within reach of Vegas... it might happen..

But then, for me, demo racing is just darn near as exciting and actually, a whole lot more fun.. (I don't fret as much)

Momentum is certainly moving in that direction for an additional event.. stranger things have happened....

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yes:

Boulder City played host to the first race in the Las Vegas area. The event was a two day demonstration Air Race. The ex-San Francisco 49er Russ Francis played host for the event. Russ at the time owned a P-51 Mustang that was orgianlly owned and raced by late Bob Love. Russ's dad ran the FBO at Boulder City. I remember my first look at the course from the air was in Ford Tri-Motor with the late Rick Breckart (Race #8, "Dreadnaught" Pilot) in the right seat helping fly the noisy tin goose around the pylons. As I remember are average speed was something like 90 knots. I also can remember Steve Hinton, John Maloney and Kevin Eldridge sitting in the back of the Tri-motor joking about the fact that this might have been the first Air Race over a sewer pond.

Comment

Strega

I'm thinking, if tiger did participate at Nellis,
                    could he hold himself back to a demonstration speed,
                    or would he end up in an all out full blown race?

Comment

It's not that any one racer would receive more money at Nellis than any other. I think it's more that it "costs money" to run at Reno, in addition to what you have to spend on fuel, lodging, transportation, etc. That doesn't take into account anything that you break, either.

At Nellis, the racers are treated as "acts" (I'm assuming), and therefore are paid appearance fees, given fuel, given lodging, given transportation, etc.

You spend money at Reno, and if you don't break anything, maybe you earn a little of it back. Going to Nellis, though, you 'make money' by going and 'playing'.

Comment

Miss America will most likely be there in her new paint scheme,
                        not the temp job seen at Reno...

Comment

Las Vegas Races

There was an Unlimited class race in Las Vegas in the 1960s that is covered in Reed Kinert's books. I believe 1965 -- the year of the Fox Field National Air Races when Darryl Greenameyer flew the red Lockheed P-38 Lightning, "Y-I-P-P-E-E." Tragically, a pilot was lost when his P-51 crashed in the desert there. Non-race related as I recall and I believe Jim Larson captured the tragedy on film. Uncertain if the pics were in Kinert's or Larson's book from the time, but I believe they were in Larson's Unlimited Air Racer book.

Ron Buccarelli and Team dearly wanted one of the special Eagle trophies that came with the wins in the Bronze, Silver and Gold races this year...Ron decided a "bird in the hand" was better than two in the bush, plus he wanted to save the aircraft for an important appearance at Nellis this year. So, a Bronze win this year was just fine and dandy, as was the Special Edition trophy.

Ron had to miss last year due to a persistant oil leak that was eventually located in the dogbone atop the engine and a new problem that developed en route to Vegas. He turned back at Reno-Tahoe after departing Stead, but the problems were such that the engine could not be repaired in the time that was left...and that was one hour. Very frustrating.

More leaks found this year but with Johnny Marlin's help, the Team got those sealed and the aircraft is a "Go" for Vegas, the demos and that ever elusive search for sponsorship.

Comment

I was checking the Nellis Airshow site and I see that Critical Mass is not on their list. I thought I saw it there a few weeks back? Does any one know if any of the Brown/Sanders aircraft will make the show? Looking forward to being there, had a lot of fun last year it's a great place for taking photos.
                            http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                            http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Marauder61
                              I was checking the Nellis Airshow site and I see that Critical Mass is not on their list. I thought I saw it there a few weeks back? Does any one know if any of the Brown/Sanders aircraft will make the show? Looking forward to being there, had a lot of fun last year it's a great place for taking photos.
                              Hummn... that's because their very tired webmaster forgot to add the page that he'd made for them to the list after a two day marathon getting them ready!

<webmaster slaps self>

here is the page address, http://nellisairshow.com/03/air_raci...ical_mass.html
                              Which at this moment, it being added to the list.. they are confirmed and are coming...

Wayne
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X