Just an afternoon thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just an afternoon thought

The Sanders family is a HUGE part of racing and it seems strange to me that they don't have a full on race plane that can take gold (besides Dreadnaught if everyone breaks). Wonder why they won't drop a 4360 into Argo and cut her wings a little and let her rip?!? Obviously it's easier said than done but still, THAT would be fun! We are lacking full race Furies after Furias' mishap last year, I want to see more out there!!!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Just an afternoon thought

Originally posted by MARK SHANE
    Hey GRNDP51, since the other morons/dickheads won't answer you I will! I think the Sanders are comfortable where they are at, it seems that they have taking a liking to Pratt&Whitney engines which is not a bad thing, that is their comfort level, 4360 in the Buick, and 2800 in ARGO 10-4!
    Hmmmm. Well, the reason I hadn't answered was only because I hadn't logged on yet today and seen his post.

That being said, the REAL reason actually goes back to about 1987 when Frank Sanders was all set to put a low-profile canopy and clipped wings on the parts airframe that is now Argonaut. He went to Bruce Boland and told him what he wanted to do. Boland's response was "well, if you really want to go slower you can do that". (Note that Critical Mass and Sept. Fury both had--the same pair of--clipped wingtips, the prevailing mentality is that you need the 'stock' wing on a Sea Fury to go around that course fast.) So the project idea of a full-on Sea Fury racer was put away on a shelf....but note that the things they had considered showed up on a couple racers in later years.

After they won a couple of times in '83 and '86 (as well as a couple of blown 4360's) the handwriting was on the wall that they would have to spend a whole lot more cubic dollars to keep up with what Tiger and Lyle had come up with (ironically in response to how THEY were going to beat Dreadnought in the first place) the concept behind Dreadnought never was to go out and win by outrunning or outspending them. It was as Brian Sanders coined many years ago "to finish first, first you have to finish"...and the Sanders family (especially after dad's accident) realized that they could show up, run what they always run, be in the thick of things, and once in a while (Tunica '05) back into a win when they were the first one running at the end of the race.

Bottom line is...they're not out there to win. They're doing it because they have found a formula to go, be in the thick of things, have fun with friends and family, and fly the equipment home....most of the time.

Comment

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, in my opinion, is the main reason why don't see more Gold contender Sea Furies. Even if someone was willing to spend big money on modifying one, they wouldn't have a chance of winning a Gold final if there was a healthy "super-stang" in the race.

Kevin

P.S. I don't know if I qualify as a moron/dickhead or not.

Comment

Originally posted by FuryFan View Post
        P.S. I don't know if I qualify as a moron/dickhead or not.
        Sorry bout that... someone decided to be really nasty and got themselves deleted from the message board.. I missed this post by that person...
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Aw man, I just wanted to be part of the "in crowd"...........can't catch a break.

Kevin

Comment

I think the Sanders clan has it right; while everybody loves a fast plane, I'd rather see 3 Furies on the ramp running than one with the prop off and a big pool of oil under it. Brian and Dennis are a couple of smart pilots, mixing it up and having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
              I think the Sanders clan has it right; while everybody loves a fast plane, I'd rather see 3 Furies on the ramp running than one with the prop off and a big pool of oil under it. Brian and Dennis are a couple of smart pilots, mixing it up and having fun.
              I totally agree with you!

Comment

Working...
              X