T-28 Class!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-28 Class!!!

Everyone knows I love the Bear but I always wondered why the Trojans only ran one year. I thought that they were a very cool class. Fairly even yet faster than the texans. I say bring them back!!!

I guess I should have signed on before I posted just now. Lets bring back the Trojans..
    Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

I understood that they were having trouble getting enough Trojans entered to justify the class. I was not there the year they ran, but I think it would be a competitive class. One year does not seem like long enough to evaluate them. With 5 classes of racing already, there just may not be enough time to run another class. Do you cut back on the air show portion? I wouldn't think so.

I do think it would be a great racing class. There seems to be plenty of them around. I saw three in one hanger at Reno.

Comment

That was the excuse given.

Not enough T-28s was the excuse.
        But as you can see we have lots of L-39s so that is a much better class.
        Oh, Wait..............
        Face it, RARA wants jets so RARA gets jets.

Comment

I think the lack of popularity , from the fans polled, came from the fact they were all gray except one. It was hard to tell them apart. I got a great racing operations manual from Neil Anderson out of the deal though.
          Chris...

Comment

Good point John, I'm sure the 28's I saw sitting in hangers at Stead would love to be racing next year. I wonder if there is still a supply of them in SE Asia!?

Clay
            Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

In addition to the three in the hangar, there are at least two more at Stead. Hey, that's one more than the L-39s. But would they be willing to race? I liked the class and hope they will be back. The sound of a T-28 is very unique and I remember some good racing.

Bill Pearce
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
                one more than the L-39s. The sound of a T-28 is very unique and I remember some good racing.
                Bill Pearce

I didn't get to see them race, but I'm sure they sound like a Reno racer rather than a hairdryer.

Clay
                Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

I believe it would be a function of those three big-ass props smacking the air.

BP
                  Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

BP, I was referring to the L-39's as the hairdryer not the 28's.

LOL, Clay
                    Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

Yeah, I know. I'm saying the cool sound the T-28 makes it because of the big ass prop smacking the air.... kinda like Rear Bear; the have rather wide props. I think we are on the same page, just different paragraphs.

BP
                      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

If they growl like the Bear, I'm in, Let's get the T-28's racin'. Did we get em all out of SE Asia, or just leave 'em there?

Clay
                        Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

Like with a lot of things, we left a bunch over there for the VNAF to play with. Since it's so tropical there, I don't know if any of them aren't rusted out. There are however quite a few left at Davis-Monthan, at least there was the last time I was there.

The T-28 race that year was awesome! The lead had to have changed at least 4-5 times. Very close racing! I'd love to see them come back.

Race 29
                          Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

T-28's

The T-28's were not very well organized as a Class. They were a few pilots that wanted to get together and have some fun racing. They didn't paint their aircraft like racers and were extremely difficult to score because they all looked alike. They raced well and sounded good. The T-28 is a pretty expensive bird to fly and maintain. People that own them are more interested in the sport of flying a warbird than the sport of air racing. Nonetheless, they would be a welcome sight at Reno. We'd just have to get out there at six instead of seven! I'll admit they were more racy than the L-39's.

Len in Indy

Comment

T-28's

I have to agree, the Trojans were very hard to tell apart. The racing however (when you could tell which one was first) was great! Lots of place-changes and noise. I always wondered why they never returned as a class similiar to the T-6's.
                              The jets? I noticed significant Porta-John traffic increases during they're race. If there is going to be jet exhibition racing, get the classics out there like the first year and have fun with it! The L-39 is cool but not exciting. Noise and speed is what this is all about.
                              Maybe an unlimited jet class. Strap a P&W F-100 on board and see how long it goes before it melts.....

Leo
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X