Let's kill some rumors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's kill some rumors

Last week a certain person that we have all grown to love posted some rather negative things about my team, pilot, and crew. From said blog some really nasty rumors have been created that not only reflect negative on me as the crew chief but the crew that I manage. Due to the open nature of my team I'm going to clear the air on these rumors. They not only reflect negative on the sport and it's safety, but the job that I do.

Rumor #1:We missed the deadline for the aircraft being at Stead. This is where people need to learn to read a rule book! the rules read that all aircraft must be at Stead by Saturday at noon. In the same rule IN RED PRINT it says you can petition to arrive by Sunday @1700 hrs due to mechanical issues or weather (we had both). We petitioned the class president and RARA and they gladly accepted. 20 minutes to spare or not a deadline is a deadline and we made it.

Rumor #2:We failed tech inspection-We had a few minor squawks such as some chafe's of a coolant line on a sensor, along with a main gear tire rubbing a rubber coupling in the gear well. Then there is the stupid oil leak that pops up at some of the most random times (more on that later), but the main thing tech wanted to look at was landing gear rigging. With only a few minor things to address the head tech inspector offered to pull the aircraft into a hangar and rig the gear himself. The fact that he rigs the gear for other teams like Voodoo and Strega who were we to deny that privilege. The gear was rigged and all other minor issues addressed we passed tech inspection on Monday.

Rumor #3: That pain in the ass oil leak. Boy I don't even know where to start with this one. We fix it, it goes away for awhile, its come back. We fix it again, it goes away for awhile, it comes back. Like I said total pain in the ass! Brant Seghetti was the first to suggest that the engine wasn't breathing right in 2012. Thom redesigned the air/oil separator and the oil tank and it worked like a charm, and then on the ferry flight out it starts puking oil right out the same seal it always does. After some discussions with Nixon and a few other folks we determined that the exit point might be the issue. in short we made a new exit and boom... No more oil pissing out of the bottom of the cowl! For someone to say that we never addressed the issue is just flat out speculation and rumor.

Rumor #4 We did photo flights on the way out when we were already late. That was last year not this year and we were at Stead on time last year. As for the flight that I think the person in question saw on Facebook. It was the first test flight on the 48 hour miracle engine and Thom had two chase planes on that flight. Both had passengers in them with video and still cameras taking video and photos. Not what I would call doing "photo flights". That was a test flight that just so happened to be recorded; huge difference!

Rumor #5 The O2 bottle was covered in oil and that could result in the airplane exploding. This is true except for one fact. The O2 bottle didn't have any O2 in it on it's arrival and the whole area and system was cleaned before it was serviced with O2. Thanks Rich for spending almost a whole day in the hell hole doing that. Not a fun job!

Now to say that the crew is unprepared and unprofessional is just way out of line. You can spend 1000's of hours prepping one of these beasts and as other teams find out the unexpected can happen at any time and in places you never think a very ugly situation can rear it's ugly head. Canopies can fail, intakes can depart and so on.

Our crew is a mixed bunch of folks with various backgrounds. As a crew chief it's my job to find their strengths and weaknesses and delegate where they can do the best job, and a fantastic job they did. Yeah it was a bit of a thrash to make Saturdays race when we found the cam shaft was not happy. If you all would have been there at that moment I think you may have been impressed. Within minutes of finding the bad cam I had an airplane and pilot standing by to fly me to Livermore to pick up a spare cam I had sitting next to my desk at work. Before I left I picked the best guys I had to get the bad cam rack out and ready to install a new cam. When I returned at 1 o'clock they (Don Pataky, Scott Skurzewski, Mike Shaver, Rich Gorton, and Robert Mercado) had it out and disassembled and ready to rebuild a new cam rack. The rack got installed and the engine was retimed. At that moment as my already exhausted ass watched them work together I realized that this crew works together very well and they are something I am very proud of. They have come a long way in a very short time.

This was my sixth year on Precious Metal and rumor has it I got sold with the airplane. Funny but I never saw a dime of that money, but someone did come forth with a pack of smokes. Geez it's like prison! From what I started with back in 2005 to what it is now it's not even the same airplane now. I think Thom has done a wonderful job of putting a good program together with such a shoestring budget. Will I "walk away" from it because people suggest that it's in my best interest... Not a chance! Did I learn a thing or two this year... Sure did! As a crew chief will it take it in stride and make the program even better next year... You bet your ass! Next year it will be a 20-45 minute flight to Stead just like most of the other unlimited's have.
    Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 10-05-2013, 03:47 PM.

Re: Let's kill some rumors

Don't worry too much about what people outside your team say, Michael. You folks made Reno and ran well in the Gold after overcoming seemingly insurmountable bad luck. You had the crowd and your competitors cheering your efforts. Looks like there will be a Reno next year and Precious Metal will be there and probably running much faster. At least I for one hope so -- I want to see how those wing tips do at 50 mph faster than you went this year...

Neal

Comment

As I have told you in private for many years, Michael....'the right people know'.

Needs some nose art, though.
      Last edited by Big_Jim; 10-05-2013, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Jeezus WBK... who the "F" would say that kind of s h i t about you guys? ****, in my book, you guys are the heroes of the year! Though I had a really warm feeling that you guys would make it deep down inside, my reality check book had you off the list as soon as I heard about the engine.

That your crew was able to pull off putting together an engine, and your brave ass pilot managed to get that bird to Reno and then, oh hell.. let's put a few race laps on her and then drive her all the way back to Florida!

Not prepared? Not doing your jobs? Walk away?

NO WAY!

Keep your head up, you guys are at the top of the heap as far as I'm concerned and I think pretty much everyone who counts feels the same way.

I'd really like to know where you're getting this flak, PM me if you're uncomfortable telling me in public... If you're uncomfortable telling me at all, I'll understand.

GO PM RENO 2014!!!! Hey, that's my 10 year anniversary of beating the big "C"... I know you've got an anniversary in there somewhere too... let's make 2014 the year!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Oh.. Lordy.. I found it...

Unprepared? *Ahem* Pot calling the kettle if you ask me!

PS... nobody put a link to the BS article... I'll just delete it..

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

If I can take the liberty, Mike and Wayne....this is what was said just so that everyone knows that is being discussed:

[deleted by aafo_wsagar: Reason: Besides being complete BS, we've got a copyright violation]

Comment

Don't let the clueless haters drag you down. You guy have and will continue to kick ass!

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                If I can take the liberty, Mike and Wayne....this is what was said just so that everyone knows that is being discussed:

[deleted by aafo_wsagar: Reason: Besides being complete BS, we've got a copyright violation]
                Sounds like someone's axe is a bit dull....
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post

In addition, two people posted rebuttals to what was said. One stated the same thing Wild Bill said above- it was all within the existing rules as it happened. The next day the comments had been removed, and the comment section no longer exists on the site. That pretty much says it all.

Comment

There was a reason the guilty party was booted from this forum years ago. All the crew for PM are miracle workers. Pulling off what you guys did was nothing short of amazing. The only one who was unprofessional is the person who wrote the article.

Will

Comment

Jim.... I'd ask that you give me permission to delete your quoted post.. for one, it actually violates copyright, but even more so, after what that crew went through to get that airplane to Reno, those words do not deserve the validity of being coped, anywhere.

I'm deleting pre-permission due to the copyright deal.. One complaint and it causes me a lot of issues...

TIA
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                        Jim.... I'd ask that you give me permission to delete your quoted post.. for one, it actually violates copyright, but even more so, after what that crew went through to get that airplane to Reno, those words do not deserve the validity of being coped, anywhere.

I'm deleting pre-permission due to the copyright deal.. One complaint and it causes me a lot of issues...

TIA
                        I quoted that post before you removed it. Be sure to get rid of the quote also!

Comment

Originally posted by LoveOldPlanes View Post
                          I quoted that post before you removed it. Be sure to get rid of the quote also!
                          Done, I'm just sorry that you guys have to endure that sort of BS after all you did for the sport this year!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I would like to give Thom and his crew a big thumbs up for getting to reno!! I was watching flightaware to track the journeys of PM across and the country and to also know when she would stop in Dallas. I missed the landing but got up early the next morning to see her off. I made it to the airport around six am and there she was!!! Sitting in front of the CAF's Diamond lil I stood on top of my truck to get some spy photos when one of the musem guys came over and let me in under one condition, no photos on the net before reno!! No problem!! I walked in and took a lot of pics talked to Thom about the issues he had on the way. Thom is a class act and one of the coolest guys i have ever meet. It is very disturbing to hear what other people are saying about the crew and the plane, but we know the truth!! Best of luck next year guys!!!

Comment

Hey, Wild Bill, first off nice meeting you at Reno and talking to you. I read some unflattering comments on another website about your team, and I was totally shocked when I read it. First off, what was the point of posting such degrading material. Although I'm not a racer (at least not till they get the Super Cub races going ) but I always thought everyone was basically there for the fun of it..obviously money isn't the reason. History has proven that everyone pulls together when someone is down on their luck..at least for the most part, so why did this particular individual, who even races in another class, come gunning for you guys?
                              As far as not making the deadline........you must have made it, or they wouldn't have let you race........so it was close.....we're not play horseshoes or hand grenades or atom bombs.......you were there before the deadline, so you made it, simple as that
                              Not passing tech inspection.....all I can say, is after the accident a couple of years ago, I'm sure tech inspections are done with a fine tooth comb......and obviously you passed or again, they wouldn't have let you race.
                              Oil leak? GEEEEEEEEE. it's an engine......and engines sometime leak oil, and from what you've said, this particular leak was a nightmare to finally resolve.......and from what you've said, it did get resolved.
                              Not being Professional? Well, generally a professional is one that gets paid for a service.....if you guys don't get paid, then you're not a professional......however, I think in terms of a team crew for an aircraft at Reno, it has a little broader meaning. From what I could see, and granted this is only based on 50 plus years of being a pilot/instructor and 20 plus years of mainteance experience, you guys sure had me fooled.......sure looked like the team knew what they were doing to me. Next year, I'll give you a dollar, and you can pin it somewhere so you'll be professionals
                              All I know, is, I'm pulling for you guys, love the plane, and I think most fans in one way or another are pulling for you guys too. keep up the great work....looking forward to seeing the team next year.
                              Brian
                              PS Don't be late
                              Last edited by supercub; 10-05-2013, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X