Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Warbird/Aviation TV Show?

Hi Guys,

We are working with a group that is interested in developing a new tv show that highlights warbirds and aviation. If this project is launched, is there interest among you potential viewers to watch such a show? If you could design the ultimate weekly aviation show, what would you like to see, not see? We have some ideas, but would love to hear yours! Here's your chance to develop your own show! Please post your thoughts.

Best,

Vodka and Soda

I get Speedvision but not Discovery Wings (it's an Alaska satellite limitation thing)

To what channel would you be trying to sell your show? I would love to see your program but if it's on Wings, I won't be able to enjoy it.

Go Bear!
    Don Hatten
    Galena, Alaska

Comment

Ultimate Aero Show

I've often envisioned a real aviation news or news magazine show, with news from across the whole spectrum of aviation: new aircraft and aircraft orders, who's hiring or furloughing, space launches, live coverage from airshows/races (Reno, Oshkosh, Paris, etc), features on all occupations (not just pilots, but NTSB members, engineers, dispatchers, etc.), features on museums and restorations...
      Get the picture?

Comment

Although Discovery Wings has some pretty neat shows regarding WWII aircraft, I would really like to see much more WWII aircraft coverage period. An ideal show would entail historical clashes between the classical warbirds, such as the Spitfire/Me109 clash, or the F4U/Zeke clash. Also, the ideal show would cover these vintage warbirds in a conventional format, whether it be restoration, racing, leisure, or air show participation. Most importantly, annual coverage of the HOT WWII warbird airshows/races would be nice, such as Reno or Las Vegas..... Basically, if the content entails WWII warbirds, show it!
        Big_Dally
        MSN Messenger: drams@comcast.net

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hattend
          [B]I get Speedvision but not Discovery Wings (it's an Alaska satellite limitation thing)

Do you have Direct TV? If so my father purchased an after market Dish (in Alaska) about 4ft in diameter, He received all of his programing including Disc Wings.
          Mr P

Comment

I've wished for live TV coverage of the Unlimited Gold race for many years. The Sunday program could be three hours long. The first couple of hours could be filled with qualifying and heat racing, and also include the trials and tribulations experienced by many racers during the week. The last hour could be live beginning with the introduction of the Gold field, followed by the race, of course, and then a recap and closing with a little celebratory interview with the victor. However, I wouldn't watch it live because I would be at the races. But I would tape it, and probably watch it a few times throughout the year. This would be the ultimate program of this series.

I agree with the other posts -- more warbirds, more airshows, and special features on the racers and what they may be doing in the off-season to prepare for Reno. There used to be more aviation related programs on SpeedVision before it changed to the Speed Channel and they started jamming it with NASCAR stuff. The Speed Channel really makes me miss SpeedVision. But I digress. I'm sure any attempt to please the warbird aviation enthusiast will be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by John Richard
              I've wished for live TV coverage of the Unlimited Gold race for many years. The Sunday program could be three hours long. The first couple of hours could be filled with qualifying and heat racing, and also include the trials and tribulations experienced by many racers during the week. The last hour could be live beginning with the introduction of the Gold field, followed by the race, of course, and then a recap and closing with a little celebratory interview with the victor. However, I wouldn't watch it live because I would be at the races. But I would tape it, and probably watch it a few times throughout the year. This would be the ultimate program of this series.

I agree with the other posts -- more warbirds, more airshows, and special features on the racers and what they may be doing in the off-season to prepare for Reno. There used to be more aviation related programs on SpeedVision before it changed to the Speed Channel and they started jamming it with NASCAR stuff. The Speed Channel really makes me miss SpeedVision. But I digress. I'm sure any attempt to please the warbird aviation enthusiast will be appreciated.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr_P
                [B]
                Originally posted by hattend
                I get Speedvision but not Discovery Wings (it's an Alaska satellite limitation thing)

Do you have Direct TV? If so my father purchased an after market Dish (in Alaska) about 4ft in diameter, He received all of his programing including Disc Wings.
                We're on Dish Network (DN) in the building I live. We only have the single horn setup (the Dish 500 setup can track 2 satellites). I have called DN and asked to delete some channels in my current selection and add others, they say it's not possible to pick and select ala carte with the current dish setup.

The dish is company owned and I don't think the company will spring for an upgrade. If I had my own dish I would do the upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for what I have...I was watching TV on a 13 channel cable system and paying $70 a month....I went to satellite and I can get 5 times the selection for half the price. Would be nice to have Disc Wings though.

Go Bear!
                Don Hatten
                Galena, Alaska

Comment

Re: Ultimate Aero Show

Originally posted by FlyKidChris
                  I've often envisioned a real aviation news or news magazine show, with news from across the whole spectrum of aviation: new aircraft and aircraft orders, who's hiring or furloughing, space launches, live coverage from airshows/races (Reno, Oshkosh, Paris, etc), features on all occupations (not just pilots, but NTSB members, engineers, dispatchers, etc.), features on museums and restorations...
                  Get the picture?
                  Sort of like Aviation Week & Space Technology on the air? Sounds good to me. BTW, they actually had a couple of paragraphs in the magazine a few weeks ago about Rare Bear and its telemetry system.

P.S. Does anyone else out there call AW&ST, as a joke, "Megadeath Weekly"? I can't remember where I got that from, or if I made it up, but that's how it's been known among my circle of propellerhead friends since at least the early '70s.
                  SteveZ

Comment

Re: Re: Ultimate Aero Show

Originally posted by Kilo Hotel
                    BTW, they actually had a couple of paragraphs in the magazine a few weeks ago about Rare Bear and its telemetry system.
                    Yep saw that... saw that they used one of my photos also.. unfortunately, they did not get photo credit in until the next issue in a correction... *sigh*

For the most part, we all do this out of the love of it but getting credit when one's photos are used is paramount.... anyway...

Since they did not put it in, my fragile ego would not let me pass up on this opportunity to blow my own whistle... fully expect to see nasties written elsewhere about this post but... what to hell.. !

Wayne Sagar
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

You go man!!

I agree with you...were is the credit...."like taking a piss in a blue suit.....no one see's you do the work but it makes you feel good all over."
                      Randy Rheinschild
                      www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Whaddya gonna do, Wayne: if the big magz like AW&ST can't even get their photo credits straight, what chance do freelancers like yourself have to make a name for themselves.

BTW, I recognized you behind the camera at the Rare Bear BBQ and was going to introduce myself, but you disappeared before I had the chance. Next year...
                        SteveZ

Comment

Originally posted by Kilo Hotel
                          Whaddya gonna do, Wayne: if the big magz like AW&ST can't even get their photo credits straight, what chance do freelancers like yourself have to make a name for themselves.

BTW, I recognized you behind the camera at the Rare Bear BBQ and was going to introduce myself, but you disappeared before I had the chance. Next year...
                          Well the article was good for both the Bear and OSI Soft, and that was a good thing!

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't beachin... just hadda get the plug in since they didn't and I doubt anyone will read the "correction" in a totally different section in the next issue... in which, they managed to misspell my name anyway... (er not ar)

Ya gotta be quick to catch me! Especially on that Friday BBQ thing... I had to get to the airport to pick up "Beer Nazi" and that was pretty much on my mind... I did not even partake in the excellent food that was being cooked!

We'll hook up next time!

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,
                            Which issue was your photo and the Bear story in? I must have passed right over that one, but I still have a few issues here at the house.

Don, I feel for you, I had the Denver station feed when I was up there. Nothing like Letterman at 3 in the afternoon! I'll have to tape some Discovery Wings for ya, and send up a care package. (that sound you hear is a license law being broken!)

I agree with the "clash" idea (A6M vs F4U, etc.). I'd like to see more programs about restored warbirds. I like the WWII programs that are shown on Discovery Wings, but everyone pretty much knows all those stories. I'd like to get new current info on restorations, flying, and maintanance about the warbirds we have left. It would be nice to chronicle the hard work put into these birds. Maybe then there won't be so many "unsung heros". Wayne would make a great story. Spending his free time making a web site that passes on such information for those of us that don't have time to get it ourselves. His obvious love for flying and racing. Stuff like that. Then you could end the show with girls on trampoleens. Wait............wrong network!

Race 29
                            Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29
                              His obvious love for flying and racing. Stuff like that. Then you could end the show with girls on trampoleens. Wait............wrong network!
                              Hey wait... I can deal with this scenario!

Oh darn.... that's a different side of the web business (the one that makes MONEY )

Oh, don't get me started! In reality... the "farm" where I host my two servers has a chat that the various admins exchange info and solve problems for each other.. I've had some private conversations with a few, very successful fellows... I *am* truly in the "wrong" end of this business!

But then... I digress... *ahem*... I hope "BeerNazi" isn't reading this !

Now, what was the original question..... ahh.. Oh yea.. which issue.. Well, they were nice enough to send me about four of each.. the issue that has the story about Bear and their fantastic sponsor OSISoft is in.... <sound of Wayne rummaging through the ABSOLUTE mess that his desk is in after Reno> Lessee... it's in the September 01, 2003 issue, in the Industry Outlook section, page <damn, there ought to be a law against TOO small of fonts for us old farts> Page 13...

The issue that they printed the "correction" complete with my misspealed namadeplume is the September 15, 2003 issue, buried on the very bottom of page 21...

Again, do not get me wrong, I'm not grousing, I know how this happens and it was done in complete good faith, the story promotes OSISoft as they WELL deserve to be promoted! They paid for the gas for the flight we took the air to airs, those were the images that they intended to be released with the Press Release that this story was spawned by.. I guess, I should feel very complimented that one that I took at Pylon Racing Seminar was the one the magazine wanted to use.. <pats self on back> this image was the one that was also used on the Fan Sponsor Club banner on the Bear Trailer... </end self patting>

I caught some flack this year, both from fans and racers for paying too much attention to the Bear.. Well, I did pay a lot of attention to them and, I'm proud to say, I got to play a part, however small, in helping them get what was needed to bring this FANTASTIC airplane back where it belongs.. in the hands of an able team, fantastic pilot and happy owner..

Ain't nothing wrong with that in my book!

Man, I'm startin to chomp on the bit for Vegas already... At Vegas, I don't have to worry so much about my friends up there goin WAAAAAY too fast, so I can relax and enjoy the show..

You will see VERY few good pictures of most of the Unlimited races from me this year.. I simply got the shakes every time those guys went by... I gotta work on this! But it's quite true. When Bear ripped by pylon 8 on Friday, just ahead of Dago Red.. I was a wreck for the rest of the race.. I'm serious!

Even bought me a nice VR lens to help out.. well, that only works if you don't shake TOOO MUCH

Back to work for me! IF I work real hard, I get to go to Vegas this year!!!!

Wayne
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X